Forum Index » GEAR » Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Sawchuk
(ksawchuk) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Gear Favorites on 12/30/2004 11:20:26 MST Print View

1. Nunatak custom modified Arc-Ghost. 13 oz sleep system (not including 6oz pad) that has kept me warm enough down to temperatures where there was 1/4" of ice in the canteen. (With just normal clothing on.)

2. Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket. 10 oz of luxury around camp and insurance for the possiblity of real cold. Also Flight vest when temperatures aren't so bad and saving 5oz is justified.

3. Snow Peak Ti Giga-power stove with piezo lighter (also custom copper wind screen made at home--wrapped in Tyvek to protect pots and stove and save weight of plastic container in which it comes.)

Ronnie Cusmano
(ronnie1107) - F

Locale: Northeast
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004? on 12/30/2004 12:15:04 MST Print View

In no particular order:

1) O2 Rainwear - Yellow Jacket
2) Gossamer Gear Lightrek Poles
3) Backpack - Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak w/o hip belt.

With Honorable mentions for my:
Hennessey Hammock and Arc-Edge blanket and all of my Pot/Zip Cozies from Anti-Gravity Gear.

I guess I have two top three lists.

(I could go on and on .....

Justin Gunn
(biggunn) - F
Some of my favorites... on 12/30/2004 12:26:58 MST Print View

So many great new pieces of gear this year which have helped lighten my load and tickle my gear fetish... where to start? Here's a few off the top of my head:

1) Petzl TacTikka (an all black version of the Tikka with a neat red lens which flips up for mantaining night vision and flips down for night navigation.

2) Nunatak Arc Ghost sleeping quilt. Not as robust or warm as the Arc Alpinist (or Arc X), but lighter and perfect for warmer western climes.

3) AntiGravityGear Pouch Cozy (boil in a bag meals reconstitute faster and stay warmer longer with this lightweight addition to my cookset - a Braslite Turbo F, Snow Peak 600 titanium mug, with homemade lid and windscreen)

Other gear I love:
Tarptent Virga w/ Floor
Single Leki Makalu trekking pole (use with shelter)
ULA Fusion pack (love those hipbelt pockets!)
Therm-a-Rest Prolite 3 Short (use with ULA pack)
Patagonia Balaclava (it's a hat, a balaclava, a gaiter!)
Terramar silkweight long sleeve hiking shirt

Kevin Sawchuk
(ksawchuk) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Gear Favorites on 12/30/2004 12:32:46 MST Print View

1. Nunatak custom modified Arc-Ghost. 13 oz sleep system (not including 6oz pad) that has kept me warm enough down to temperatures where there was 1/4" of ice in the canteen. (With just normal clothing on.)

2. Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket. 10 oz of luxury around camp and insurance for the possiblity of real cold. Also Flight vest when temperatures aren't so bad and saving 5oz is justified.

3. Snow Peak Ti Giga-power stove with piezo lighter (also custom copper wind screen made at home--wrapped in Tyvek to protect pots and stove and save weight of plastic container in which it comes.)

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
my favorite things on 12/30/2004 14:12:01 MST Print View

1. Tarptent Rainshadow

2. Marmot DriClime windshirt

3. OR Flextex gaiters

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004 on 12/30/2004 14:41:27 MST Print View

1) homemade TarpTent 1 modified with a catenary cut ridge, small beak on foot end, larger beak on head end

2) size medium GoLite Breeze ... rides with minimal shoulder weight sitting on top of a trusty old Kelty Moab lumbar pack

3)Therm-a-Rest ProLite 3 - Short

(Anonymous)
3 irreplacable on 12/30/2004 14:43:31 MST Print View

Here are three items I used on my PCT thru-hike that have no equal on the market but could be improved upon:

1. Aqua Mira - Both the lightest and cheapest ClO2 product. 5 min wait is inconvenient.

2. Osprey Aether 45 - Perfect size and features (roll-top, side pockets, compression / laundry line). Needs competition in the comfort department.

3. Nunatak Backcountry Blanket - Versatile, good for people that roll around all night, requires no skill to use. Long (custom) order delays and the elastic drawcord deteriorated.

K.

dan kutcher
(danscapes49) - F
Favorite Often Used Gear - 2004 on 12/30/2004 16:09:24 MST Print View

#1 Without a doubt, Leki non-antishock trekking poles. (Good for old knees)

#2 Hennessey Hammock Ultralight Backpacker. No more wet spots on bottom of sleeping bag! Sleep like a baby!

dan kutcher
(danscapes49) - F
OOPS! on 12/30/2004 16:12:34 MST Print View

#3 Any of my homemade alcohol stoves. Especially happy with fuel efficiency (and speed) of Atlanta Randy's stove (can be seen on Backpacking Magazine's Feedback "Ultralight Forum").

robert courson
(bertcourson) - M

Locale: lake michigan
3 favorites on 12/30/2004 17:35:44 MST Print View

*Big Agness SL1 - The mosquitoes never woke me up this summer on the AT
*Nylon running shorts with cool max liner = no chaffing!
*Aquafina bottles for water - light, no cleaning, buy anywhere

Happy Holidays!

Sheldon Miller
(stmiller37) - M

Locale: Wasatch
3 favorites on 12/30/2004 19:01:48 MST Print View

1. ULA P-2, personally fitted by Brian in a visit to Logan.

2. Tarptent Squall - I pick it up every now and then to just be amazed at how light and small it is.

3. Brasslite stove - a functional art piece.

David Shepherdson
(shepherdsond) - M
3 favorites on 12/30/2004 23:33:20 MST Print View

1. Smartwool socks - they allways feel warm and dry
2. Softshell jacket (REI One). Not super light for very comfortable and can be worn all day in changing conditions
3. MEC Northern lights pullover - lighter than pile but warmer

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004 on 12/31/2004 02:45:39 MST Print View

1. GossamerGear LightTrek Poles
2. GossamerGear G5 Hyperlight Pack
3. "all things" eVENT (i.e. Int Des eVENT UniShelter bivy and Int Des eVENT Rain Jacket)

(Anonymous)
3 favorites on 12/31/2004 21:23:09 MST Print View

3 favorites? Tarptent Squall - Photon Microlight - Montbell Thermawrap. The "Packa" pack cover/rain jacket is right up there, too.

Larry Tullis
(Larrytullis) - F - M

Locale: Wasatch Mountains
3 favorites on 01/01/2005 07:39:02 MST Print View

1-Tarptent Squall-easy to setup, lightweight and roomy.

2-Golite Breeze-light, tough and versitile. I've used it on backpacking and fishing trips from Alaska to Patagonia and also makes a great airplane carry-on. Modified: added sternum clip and rear mesh pocket clip.

3-Dan Bailey Barebones breathable waders. Used for fishing, fording, hiking in wet, floating, raingear.

Bob Nunnink
(rnunnink@stny.rr.com) - F
three favorite peices on 01/01/2005 08:29:00 MST Print View

1. Highgear axis watch. I broke the strap on a summit and returned it for the smaller version. Very acurate altimiter, compass, and barometer. Only wish the alarm was alittle louder and the backlight stayed on longer.

2. Hessnesy hammock ulralight. I will never sleep on the ground again!

3. Jacks r Better Nest http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/Under%20Quilt.htm
Fantastic quilt to keep warm in a hammck. Great by itself to use under a tarp. Nice guys good company!

Mitchell Keil
(mitchellkeil) - F

Locale: Deep in the OC
Best Most Used Gear This Year on 01/01/2005 11:44:08 MST Print View

1.Aqua Mira -- How did I ever get along without this two bottle wonder. Replaced all of that "paraphenalia" I used to carry and lose.
2. Tarptent "Virga" -- Can a "tent" be any lighter and more useful. Stuffs to the size of a cantalope and at 19 oz lets me carry a few luxuries to sinfully enjoy on the trail.
3. Big Agnes' REM Air Core Insulated pad. 21 oz and 2.5 inches of sleeping heaven for these 56 year old bones after a hard day on the trail. (I know this is not ultralight or even lightweight, strictly speaking. BUT...)

And if I could name a 4th place, it would be my aquistion of the lightest and warmest piece of clothing I have ever purchased -- Montbell's UL down liner jacket at 9 oz

Happy Tails to all and to all a good night's sleep!!

Edited by mitchellkeil on 01/01/2005 11:50:30 MST.

Andrea Bartlett
(bartlean) - F
Favorite new gear of 2004 on 01/02/2005 06:27:21 MST Print View

1. Bota of Boulder Outback water filtration System (filter in Nalgene bottle). Perfect for dipping and drinking as you go and waiting for the Aqua Mira to do it's job in your other water carrier of choice.
2. Bozeman TorsoLite pad
3. those wonderful orange Titanium tent stakes-haven't lost one yet (did 300 miles in CA this summer).

Gregory Doggett
(Gregory) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Favorite Gear of 2004 on 01/02/2005 19:02:14 MST Print View

1. Bozeman Mtn. Works Quantum Arc X Quilt. My favorite bag, hands down.

2. Speer 8.5 Hammock with 8x10 Tarp.
Even if its been pouring rain all day and there is no flat,non-rocky ground around if I can find two trees 12-16 ft. apart ( not hard in the east) I will sleep high, dry and in blissful comfort.

3.Brasslite Turbo F Stove.
All I need, no more or less.Perfection.

Gear I'm looking forward to using in the winter of 2005.

1.Golite Hex 3
2.Montrail Stratos XCR's
3.ThermaRest Prolite 4 Short (15.8 oz.)

Dwayne Thompson
(atonat) - F
3 most used gear '04 on 01/03/2005 15:50:37 MST Print View

1. McHale 0-Sarc UL..........Not the lightest pack but the best carrying pack I have ever owned!

2. Optumus/Brunton Crux Stove.......Great performing Stove!

3. Integral Designs Silcoat Stuff Sacks
Light, Well Designed and the Draw Cord actually stays put when fully stuffed!