Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Janet Brewster
(jgranite) - F
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004 on 03/22/2005 14:28:36 MST Print View

1) Marmot Lithium sleeping bag (0 deg)
Kept me warm in a September snowstorm in the High Sierra. For women, a 20 deg bag just doesn't cut it above 10,000 ft -- reluctantly sold my Western Mountaineering Ultralite in order to buy the Lithium, because I froze using it on the JMT.... But it was worth it.
(y'all need more women as gear reviewers!)

2) Granite Gear Ozone backpack
Lightweight with great support, and can handle up to 40 lbs. Fantastic for thru-hiking.

3) Leki Ultralite Ti Air Ergo poles
Saved my knees when going downhill!!

J R
(RavenUL) - F
Top 3 on 03/24/2005 00:01:05 MST Print View

#1 Toss up between my MountainSmith Ghost, or my MountainSmith Boogieman (depends on trip length)

#2 Anything Smartwool

#3 My homemade "Pocket Dragon" alcohol stove and Sgt Rocks "Ion" Ti Stove Stand

Edited by RavenUL on 03/24/2005 15:13:22 MST.

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
favorite 3 on 03/24/2005 10:46:11 MST Print View

1. Six Moon Designs Starlite Pack

2. Hennessy Hammock.

3. Nunatak Arc Alpinist.

FRANK HERDMAN
(FHERDMAN) - F
Best three things on 04/19/2005 21:38:41 MDT Print View

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone--great compromise between weight and comfort

Lowa Banff boots--luxurious seamless leather on the inside

Vargo Triad stove--light and reliable, even at elevation, easy to empty excess fuel

Jan Unneberg
(BlueSkyII) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004? on 05/08/2005 09:29:28 MDT Print View

1) Stovestomper's two-legged MSR Ti Kettle support/windscreen: The support legs are modified to be 1/8" longer and the sidwall is 1/16" higher for use with Esbit tabs. A piece of heavy duty aluminum goes under the stand to reflect heat and to eliminate ground moisture.

2)Henry Shire's Virga and Squall Tarptents: In the next two years he'll finally win the Backpacker Magazine award he deserves.

3) WildThings Nylon Windshirt: Great ventilation options, alway my favorite piece of clothing.

Carol Corbridge
(ccorbridge) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Love these 3 on 05/08/2005 10:51:12 MDT Print View

Clark Jungle Hammock Ultra Light- So comfortable. Like an easy chair to sit in and read. You can sit on the edge and take off and put on your shoes. I use my home made ray way tarp as a rain fly (16 oz. about 9'x 9') instead of the fly that came with it, since it provides me with more options. This set up can be used on the ground too. Hammock has zipped bug netting built in. Only 28 oz without the fly. I usually hang it with the fly and then detach the fly on one side so I can rock under the stars and quickly deploy the fly if needed. Hands down my farvorite piece of gear.

Sierra Zip Stove- no fuel to carry, I like the camp fire smell, it's like a little elf fire. Can gather wood for dinner in one hand.

Possum Down Vest- So soft and light 6 oz, I wear it around town too. Incredible warmth for the weight and bulk. Also just plain feels good to wear.

Edited by ccorbridge on 05/08/2005 10:52:10 MDT.