Forum Index » GEAR » Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004?

Display Avatars Sort By:

(Anonymous)
Favorite Gear for 2004 on 01/04/2005 11:39:27 MST Print View

Only one: The Vargo Triad
I'm new to backpacking and this stove is what got me out there.

David Neumann
(idahomtman) - M

Locale: Northern Idaho
3 favorites pieces of gear on 01/06/2005 12:53:41 MST Print View

MontBell Thermawrap jacket, beer can alcohol stove, MontBell U.L. Down Hugger #5.

Just got a Go-Lite Jam, but haven't used it in the field yet.

Norman Otto
(gnotto) - F
3 gear favorets for 2004 on 01/06/2005 18:19:32 MST Print View

1. Six Moon Design Starlite Pack w/ vest Harness
2. Marmot Chinook wind Jacket--an oldie but goodie 3 season lifesaver
3. Vargo Triad titanium alcohol stove

AllDownhill Norm

Eric Gray
(CrankyRat) - F
My favs this year on 01/09/2005 01:23:02 MST Print View

1: Black Diamond Lighthouse Tent - pure luxury for 3 lb.

2: Possum wool sweater - run in it and shorts in cold downpours, just right.

3: Smartwool tops and bottoms - best camp clothes and at home PJs.

Jeremy Best
(ultralitejer) - F
Favorite gear on 01/09/2005 16:32:26 MST Print View

Photon II Lights (I carry two)
Tyvek Paper (5'x7')
Graphite/Aluminum fishing pole

You always need light though not at more than .5 onzes. Tyvek paper because it is multipurpose, and though the vistas are magnificent you still have to catch a few for good eatin'.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Top 3 Items - 2004 on 01/17/2005 16:18:58 MST Print View

1. Snow Peak Ti Giga Power Stove
2. GoLite Race Pack
3. Garmin Geko 301

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004 on 01/18/2005 11:32:20 MST Print View

1. Tarptent Squall. Great shelter esp. for the South and Desert when "critters" become an issue
2. Nunatak arc alpinist. Comfortable warm and so versatile! ( and so Light! )
3. Salomon XA's and antigravity pot cozy (keep the feet happy and save fuel )

David Smith
(Flatfoot) - F
Stuff on 01/20/2005 08:44:39 MST Print View

1. The Montbell Thermawrap jacket-blocks wind and is warm without bulk.
The more I wear it the more I like it.

2. Hennessy Hammock

3. Homemade alcohol stove

If I could name a fourth it might be my new inline water filter...I like it alot so far (so nice just to go do something else and come back to clean water) but might try Aqua Mira later.

Glenn Roberts
(garkjr) - F

Locale: Southwestern Ohio
Three Favorites on 01/22/2005 08:49:00 MST Print View

Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack - like putting on a well-fitted jacket! I, too, have forgotten to take this off at rest stops. (Fixed that by carrying the water bottle inside the pack.)

Thermarest Prolite 4 short - cushiony sleep, and the Vapor Trail pack (empty) with its luxurious backpad nestles against the bottom of the pad to turn it into a full-length pad.

(3rd place tie): MSR Zoid 1 tent and Vasque Sundowner Classic boots - the tent is the perfect combination of space, simplicity, weight, and function. The boots (admittedly not ultralight) fit me perfectly, and are so comfortable I don't find any need for "camp shoes." I've tried trail shoes, but not found anything that leaves my feet feeling this good at the end of the day.

Ivan Phillipsen
(poisonivan) - F
Fav gear for 2004 on 01/22/2005 12:57:59 MST Print View

1. McHale PopCan/SubPop pack. Expensive, yes, and not ultralight, but it's custom made to my specifications, rugged as hell, and very comfortable. Weighs 3.4 lbs, but has several removable parts (summit flap, water bottle pockets, back pad, cord compression system).

2. TarpTent Squall. Super light and spacious. Like a tarp, but without the bugs.

3. Marmot Hydrogen 30 degree sleeping bag.

Others: Photon Micro lights, Antigravity Gear Pepsi can stove, Montbell Thermawrap Jacket, Montane Aero windshirt, Snow Peak 700 pot/mug.

robert courson
(bertcourson) - M

Locale: lake michigan
Thermo Jet ethanol stove on 01/29/2005 14:42:34 MST Print View

This is a good stove. I used it on the AT for a couple of weeks while walking with a friend who was through hiking and he borrow the Thermo Jet and used it for the next 1000 miles to Katahdin without incident. He returned it and I expect to use it this summer!

(Anonymous)
3 great gears for your feet on 02/02/2005 02:55:58 MST Print View

1 Montrail MASAI trail-runnung shoes

... Light! and "sock-like" fit.

2 custom-made footbed by German orthopedic technology

...it make MASAIs fit to my feet better.

I used to make "Super-feet", but it didn't solve my feet problem, because it did't support the arch between the big ball and small ball, one of the 3 arches of our foot.
The arch of my feet are collapsed.

German-way foot-bed gives the support with the moderate swell in the middle of foot-bed.
(I hope readers know what I mean. See the famouse BIRKENSTOCK foot-bed.)

3 Rocky's Gore-Tex over-socks

I don' like the shoes made with Gore-Tex, because it makes me sweaty in good weather.
Over-socks only for rain will be the better choice.

But, I don't think Gore-Tex is the best.
I want Dia-Plex or e-VENT product!

Stay KOOL and GO LIGHT!!!

KEVIN BOS
(bosman) - F
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004 on 02/05/2005 11:09:44 MST Print View

ULA: P2 without the hip belt you don't need it. Your hike becomes more natural w/o the hip belt. I purchased it with the hip belt with pockets which is nice but i found the hike to be more comfortable and lighter without it. I also like the p1 with a bozeman torsolite pad inflated inside to create a frame inside the bag but i have gone with a Hennessy hammock now so no need for the pad or the p1. I might sell my P1.

Photon Micro Light: Freedom Micro with Hat Clip

Marmot: Hydrogen 30 Deg Down Bag

Edited by bosman on 02/05/2005 11:18:58 MST.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Top three--based on use on 02/06/2005 12:05:52 MST Print View

-Hennessy Hammock (original Ultralight)
-Primus Titanium stove model ULT2 3274
-Miox

Thomas McDonald, MD
(mc1donald) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
favorite gear on 02/09/2005 20:44:17 MST Print View

--SportHill Explorer II top (windproof polypro "3SP" front and more breathable back- a nice combo, very stretchy w/ nice fit)
--TNF Apex beanie (powershield fabric)- works well under my cycling helmet as well as in the backcountry
--GoLite Syngergy pants (Pertex Equilibrium fabric--very light, pretty windproof yet breathable, smooth finish that sheds snow well)

Stephen Cain
(Hoosierdaddy) - F

Locale: Western Washington
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004? on 02/15/2005 12:40:00 MST Print View

1. Homemade alcohol stove
2. Vasque Borneo trail shoes
3. BD Raven Pro ice axe

David Neumann
(idahomtman) - M

Locale: Northern Idaho
Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004 on 02/15/2005 14:32:06 MST Print View

Gossamer Gear Lightrek Poles
MontBell U.L. Bivy
MontBell Thermawrap Jacket

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
favorite 3 pieces of gear used so far in 2005 on 02/15/2005 14:40:55 MST Print View

1.) Beyond Fleece Cold Fusion softshell jacket
2.) BMW Cocoon Pullover ( da bomb of lightweight
insulated jackets)
3.)Outdoor Research Airfoil gloves
all 3 have a place in my winter campaigns.

John Taylor
(jtaylor) - F - M

Locale: Shenandoah
Favorite 3 peices of gear used in 2004 on 02/16/2005 10:51:54 MST Print View

My favorites are:

Granite Gear Virga pack. Light, comfortable, and simple!

Trangia WestWind stove. It is not the lightest, but it is simple, durable, and works every time.

Tilley hat. I love this hat.

Steven Sergeant
(SteveSgt) - F
Three favorite Gear Pieces in 2004 on 03/03/2005 18:27:44 MST Print View

Narrowing down this list to three is actually rather difficult. Each trip has conditions and situations that make one piece stand out relative to the others. That said, I'll follow someone else's lead and post some runners-up as well.

TOP AWARDS:

1) Montane featherweight smock and pants. I put these together because I think of the suit as one piece of gear. I treat them with Nikwax TX-Direct Wash-in about every 10 washings, and they're my first line of defense against almost any change in weather or insect pressure. I don't know how I could live again without these (or something very much like them) on the trail.

2) Moonlight Pack by Six Moon Designs. I did have some problems with the foam in the straps getting compressed and not recovering, but after Ron replaced it, it's been great. Just the right amount of volume for my gear, and very durable. I own a couple of other lightweight packs, but this is the one I'll grab by default when I'm most uncertain of conditions.

3) Watch, Suunto Vector. This watch, altimeter, and compass in one is sort of a one-stop telemetry station. It's often the only electronics I take with me. Actually learning all of the fancy compass modes has made it more useful than one might think on first impression.

RUNNER UPS:

A) Bozeman Mountain Works Spin Poncho. It was tough deciding between this poncho and my Equinox extension-poncho. I like the extra length and the off-center hood position of the Equinox -- it covers my pack better and provides more coverage as a shelter, but I like the lesser weight of the spin-poncho more.

B) Platypus Big-Zip Hoser, 2 liter. The lightest hydration system around for the volume. I cant tell that it imparts any taste to the water. I've never had one leak -- I've put one into almost every one of my packs.

C) Princeton Eclipse 2 flashlight. This LED flashlight and headlamp is terribly versatile. One clip attachment lets me use it as a head lamp, anotther lets me hang it from a lanyard. It has three brighness settings and a flashing mode. It weighs a little more than a Photon Micro-light, but the couple of tenths of an ounce are worth it for the added utility.

You may notice I didn't mention any sleeping gear. I really liked my Nunatak Ghost Blanket, which I just got rid of. I have a couple of home-built polarguard quilts, and a BMW Arc-X (which I haven't actually tried in the wids yet). They're all excellent for different situations -- I just couldn't decide among them.