November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What are your sleeping bag(s) for different temps?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Possibly to make my own quilt. on 01/03/2008 12:40:50 MST Print View

Actually, I think I will have the GF make me a quilt as I have about 5 yards of momentum laying around with six ounces of 800 and six ounces of 927 and she owes me. How should I do the bottomo though? I think that the JRB drawcord style might be the best. I am then thinking of putting a zipper on the long side so I can zip it up if need be with its 60" width. I think then if I put a drawstring on the top it will help to cover my shoulders and I could just wear a light balaclava and or Nunatak's. 2" baffles should do the job if I overstuff them the slightest.

John Mackey
(JohnMackey) - F
Re: What are your sleeping bag(s) for different temps? on 01/03/2008 14:17:40 MST Print View

I now like to always carry more sleeping bag than I think I probably need, having discovered over the years that it is better to carry a few extra ounces of sleeping bag to insure a good night's sleep rather than skimp on weight here. I usually go lighter on the insulating clothing than most people, finding that I seldom need much beyond my hiking clothing and rain gear when I'm actually hiking (I do carry Mont-Bell Inner Down Jacket when I expect temperatures below freezing and I always have warm rain mittens and a good hat too). When I'm not hiking, if I get cold I simply start hiking again or if in camp just get into my sleeping bag.

So which bags do I currently use?

40 degrees and up--Nunatak Ghost--16.2 ounces on my scale

30 to 50 degrees--Go-Lite FeatherLite--20.1 ounces on my scale (1.1 ounces above spec) plus a Nunatak Down Balaclava at the lower temperature range--3.6 ounces on my scale

15 to 35 degrees--Marmot Helium--31.5 ounces on my scale (2.5 ounces above spec) plus a Nunatak Down Balaclava at the lower temperature range

0 to 20 degrees--Feathered Friends Snowbunting with Nano shell--38.0 ounces on my scale (6 ounces below spec) plus a Nunatak Down Balaclava

My FF Snowbunting is truly an awesome bag and I highly recommend it to people looking for a very lightweight 0 to 20 degree bag (the shell material needs to be their lightest option, currently the Nano I think, if you want to keep the total weight down). I also highly recommend the Nunatak Down Balaclava. The old adage about keeping one's head warm is really true and I think ounce for ounce this piece of equipment creates more warmth for me than any other that I own and creates great sleeping bag warmth and provided it isn't raining and you don't mind looking dorky, great warmth in camp too.

Edited by JohnMackey on 01/03/2008 14:57:45 MST.

charlie babbage
(babbage) - F
Re: Re: What are your sleeping bag(s) for different temps? on 01/03/2008 14:25:25 MST Print View

Here are two places to check mountain temps for GSMNP.

I use an Alpinlite for colder (with a homemade bivy) and a homemade quilt for the rest. If I lived in an area that had colder temps I would definately have another system to cover that range. I can go year round without problems as long as I avoid the higher elevations.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: What are your sleeping bag(s) for different temps? on 01/03/2008 18:27:03 MST Print View

For 40*
I have a homemade quilt with .85 ounce fabric Thru-hiker used to sell. It is now my bag I use when I have to say over-night at work. It has no DWR and any condensation or dew wets out the bag horribly.

My Marmut Pounder is my Adventure Racing bag or for very wet conditions. With a layer of 2.5 ounce Climashield added, it weighs 23 ounces, but has the 15d fabric that is really nice. The new version has the Astral N-100 fabric.

TNF Hightail. Although it's rated for 15* it may be good for 20* but only I eat a few thousand calories before I go to sleep.

My Home-made 2 pound quilt. I'm sure it will keep me warm down to 10*, 5* with some good clothing and 0* with a good meal.
It also weighs less than the TNF bag so if it's going to be blow 40* the quilt goes with me. It's adjustability is a lot better than a bag but the quilt is just too warm above 35*, even when wearing underwear and a t-shirt.
It does works good with a light base layer and your legs outside with the top of the bottom just draped over.

If I was going to go hiking in 0* temps, I could easily push my quilt to -10* with all of my clothing on and my Exped Down mat. Not bad for 2 lbs.

If it is going to be below 35* I will use my prolite 3 short along with 2 GG 60" long 1/8" pads. Other than that it is just a pad or 2. I will never sleep in a camp with hard ground so I have only slept a few nights that my back was stiff the next morning.

Looks like I need to make a 32* quilt though.
I think I'll actually be making a 5 ounce and a 2.5 ounce Climashield quilt since most of the hikes I do have a lot of condensation.

Well, ok, I'll also make a 32* hodded down quilt that will weight about 19 ounces.

Edited by awsorensen on 01/03/2008 18:35:58 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Sleeping bags over temperature gradient on 01/03/2008 19:42:32 MST Print View

WM Summerlite down to high 20's with a Cocoon Hoody for backup. WM Ultralite with 2 oz. of overfill with Cocoon Hoody for backup down to ~10 degrees, although I've yet to go below high teens. Roasty toasty so far.

John Adams
(scsjohn) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Sleeping bag system on 01/04/2008 13:57:45 MST Print View

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. For simplicity's sake (and after reading through many of your ideas), I am thinking about just having the two:

JRB No Sniveller (Long) for temps over 40 deg F
WM Alpinlite (Long) for temps between 10-40 deg F
Combining the two for temps below 10 deg F

The weight of both would be about 58 ounces--6 ounces more than the EMS Mountain 0--NOT ultralite, and maybe not even lightweight, and yet offers the simplicity of only keeping up with two sleepings.

What are your thoughts on this? I have created the backing for the Sniveller that would make this do-able.

Here are two pictures: One comparing the EMS with the Alpinlite inside the Sniveller and the second is the underside of the Sniveller.

comparison of WM/JBR to EMS 0

Piece of Nylon omnitaped to JBR