Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Uniting Hiking trips
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Uniting Hiking trips on 12/30/2007 14:33:13 MST Print View

There is now a large enough BLP community in the more populated states to get together on random types of hiking trips throughout the year.

Maybe we can have a section leader in different areas that gather what hikers in the their areas would like to do and cordinate the time and location on where to start.

There are several trips that have been on the board that I have been intersted in, but have yet to get with anyone from BLP on a trip even when tring to do a few of them.

I know that we all don't just sit around and write up forums, so why shouldn't we get more invovled with the BLP cumminity?

I would be more than happy to be a cordinater for the California Bay Area.

Anyone else interested in doing this?

Edited by awsorensen on 12/30/2007 14:34:37 MST.

Steven Nelson
(slnsf) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Yes on 12/30/2007 19:21:30 MST Print View

I think that's a fine idea, Aaron. I live in the Bay Area, glad to help. We also have a quite active group of Northern California hikers who use a Yahoo group to coordinate trips - can provide you with info offline if you're interested.

Folks from other areas, chime in as well!

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Uniting Hiking trips on 12/30/2007 20:25:11 MST Print View

I'm thinking something about every two moths or so with maybe one or two challenging ones a year.
The rest could be based on learning new experiences and going to places recommended buy others that not may people have been to.

Even a lightest pack wins on an outing would be fun.

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
sounds fun on 12/31/2007 22:23:33 MST Print View

Good idea Aaron, I can help make phone calls or something. I live in Santa Cruz area. Lets go camping.
Josh

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
Hiking trips. on 01/01/2008 12:08:15 MST Print View

I'm love to go, I do most of my backpacking up near Yosemite, Sequoia or Big Sur even though I live in LA.

Another way to do this, is just post ultralight trips on www.outdoorsclub.org. It's already set up as a backpacking meetup.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Uniting Hiking trips on 01/01/2008 13:05:40 MST Print View

I checked out the trips planned at the outdoors club and there isn't much.

I think the BPL community would be better due to the fact that 90% of us are gear junkies and have a huge wealth of knowledge to share.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Uniting Hiking trips on 01/01/2008 14:28:34 MST Print View

Any Midwesterners up for this? I would love to do something like this, though time and money are always tight for me. If anyone would like to do some hiking in the Ozarks of Missouri I'd be happy to help plan it. PM/email me if you're interested.

Adam

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
Yosemite on 01/01/2008 14:54:12 MST Print View

I can go the 2nd weekend in Jan, if that works for Joshua and everyone else. Is Aaron going to be the trip leader/coordinator?

-TW

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Yosemite on 01/01/2008 18:16:14 MST Print View

Moved to the appropriate forum.

Edited by awsorensen on 01/01/2008 18:17:32 MST.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
. on 01/03/2008 10:20:00 MST Print View

Edited by DaveT on 11/19/2014 22:11:08 MST.

Nathan Moody
(atomick) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: norcal. on 01/03/2008 10:28:21 MST Print View

I'd absolutely be interested. So many options...fantastic idea.

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
soCal on 01/03/2008 17:51:38 MST Print View

count me in for any soCal BPL groups that might like to hike together or at least meet for a weeknight BS "check out my gear" session.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
BPL Locals on 01/03/2008 18:31:23 MST Print View

Aaron, I'm really glad you brought this up. I've often wondered why our UL careers seem resigned to solo adventures. The 'Hiking Partners' forum section doesn't seem too fruitful for locating partners.

Colleen, I think random get togethers are a great idea for comparing notes, gear, technique and philosophies, whatever. It'll really solidify the community. Maybe we can have a secret handshake too. Oh, and contests for team logo designs. HAHA.

Can the BPL staff create a forum section for these local groups? e.g. So Cal, Central Cal, Nor Cal, etc. We could freeze a couple threads at the top for introductions and contact info. A general section leader won't be necessary unless requested to coordinate trips and meet-ups.

-Michael

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: BPL Locals on 01/03/2008 18:44:26 MST Print View

I think random get together are a great idea for comparing notes, gear, technique and philosophies, whatever. It'll really solidify the community. Maybe we can have a secret handshake too. Oh, and contests for team logo designs. HAHA.

The funny and great thing about comparing gear is that I had actually thought I had a system that was as light as it could be for a 2 day trip, when...
I met up with the only other BLP'er I know or have met and his system was lighter than mine.
That and 95% of the gear was different from mine.

I was dumbfounded!!!

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
Re: BPL Locals on 01/03/2008 19:21:19 MST Print View

And I laughed when you proposed a "contest" for the lightest pack on this coming Sierra's hike. Sure, that's like Takeru Kobayashi sitting at the table suggesting an eating contest.... But maybe we'll see. This is going to be a dangerous get together for my bank account; I'll have all sorts of wild ideas for gear tweaks.

Seriously, though, I'm hoping BPL can expand the forums to include regional sub-forums for the kind of organizing we're proposing. It could go a long way toward strengthening the community and tying the site to that movement. Especially at a time when there's a growing hum of discontent in another thread. Honestly, this shouldn't be passed up. It can't be mere chance how multiple threads similar to this topic are gaining momentum..... But maybe this is a cyclical occurrence in forums and I'm too new here to recognize that.

-Michael

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

organizing on 01/03/2008 19:55:32 MST Print View

OK, so how many so-Cal BPL-ers are there? i know of at least a half dozen, but there must be a few more. who's in for at the very least a meetup? frankly, i am on hiatus from any actual backpacking right now (two very young kids, a really busy husband and minimal available overnight childcare) but would still love to meet folks and actually TALK about gear & technique & all that. i have to keep the flame burning somehow!

Anitra Kass
(Anitraten) - F

Locale: SoCal
SoCal on 01/06/2008 01:03:23 MST Print View

Colleen,
I live in SoCal too, the high desert (did we talk about that at ADZPCTKO when we met?). I'm up for anything...and to interact with another lightweight, woman backpacker would be great.
NITRO

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

anitra! on 01/06/2008 11:49:18 MST Print View

excellent! of course i remember you from the kickoff - how was the CDT? i'm in southern orange county. ugh, soCal is such a big place. and yes, there are a few gals here, but we're a definite minority and our needs are slightly different. for example, i'll never be able to get by with some of the sleeping arrangements that i see discussed here - i sleep too danged cold.

you're teaching now, right? what part of the high desert? do you ever come oceanward for anything? trying to think of when & where to organize a meetup.

Anitra Kass
(Anitraten) - F

Locale: SoCal
SoCal on 01/07/2008 14:08:32 MST Print View

Colleen,
I am teaching and I live in the High Desert (Apple Valley to be exact). But I have family and friends in the OC and in Carlsbad so I visit people a bunch. Anyhow, I'll PM you my digits and we can set something up.
NITRO

Edited by Anitraten on 01/07/2008 22:37:02 MST.

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

alas on 01/08/2008 11:54:23 MST Print View

no clue how to set up to receive a PM here. my email starts with tarbubble, and then is followed with the standard yahoo domain.