Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What is your exprience with capilene lightweight tshirts?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
What is your exprience with capilene lightweight tshirts? on 12/22/2007 21:36:05 MST Print View

I am using cotton tshirts since the last two years I have been into hiking. I have heard a lot of good things about capilene base layers and I am thinking to switch over completely (atleast my hiking clothing). I want to know whether there is any significant difference- I am concerned only with moisture wicking performance- between the lightweight tshirts and the newer capilene 1 tshirts to justify high difference in price (lightweight:$11; Capilene 1:$25.20).
Till now I have been doing 1-2 day hikes, and I have never carried change of clothing. But now I am planning on longer 1-2 weeks hikes. How many moisture wicking tshirt does one need on suck hikes?

thank you,
Huzefa

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Polyester base layers on 12/22/2007 21:58:58 MST Print View

I like Patagonia tees, but they aren't the only ones around. They wick perspiration, dry quickly and are lighter weight. The are the core of a cold weather layering system. The old rule is "cotton kills" --- fine on a summer afternoon, but a hypothermia bomb shell if conditions go the wrong way.

Other vendors? New Balance, Brooks, REI, Duofold, etc. Most of the stores like Target have wicking tees on one kind or another. Each has its pros and cons-- weight, cost, wicking performance, etc. In general, any of them will be cooler and lighter than a soaked cotton tee at the top of the hill. And much drier and warmer in cold weather.

Edited by dwambaugh on 12/23/2007 09:05:12 MST.

David Thul
(thuldj) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Go to Target on 12/24/2007 01:25:03 MST Print View

If you want a quality shirt at a great price, Target is the place to go. Champion makes a great line of moisture wicking shirts called Duo/Dry (made of polyester just like Patagucci's or anyone else). They may not be as light (the weave is a little heavier) but I have found they resist snagging on brush better than the super light ones.

This fall I picked up the longsleeve version with nice raglan style sleeves for $12.

Joshua Knapp
(Joshjknapp) - F

Locale: Northern Mn, Superior Hiking Trail
Target on 12/24/2007 10:29:12 MST Print View

Yeah I went to target the other day and picked up a nice champion fleece long-sleeve for 13 dollars. It Is actually one of the better fleeces that I have.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: What is your exprience with capilene lightweight tshirts? on 12/24/2007 11:30:26 MST Print View

No matter how long the hike, the most number of shirts to take along is 2 in my opinion -- I do laundry every day on a hike. I carry a mesh bag and if clothes do not dry overnight, I hike with the wet clothes in the mesh bag and let them hang/dry outside my pack. You want to keep your clothes weight to a minimum. One shirt you wear, one shirt for backup. I do have a 4 oz silk longsleeve tshirt I use for sleeping (not for hiking). For pants, only one pair of pants. I do have a multi purpose pair of 4 oz shorts, useful for sleeping, swimming, or wearing while washing the hiking pants. For rain, I have a 3oz rain wrap kilt -- see my gear list with links at my profile. I do take on the hike one extra underpants and two extra ultra lightweight noblister socks (wright noblister coolmesh double-layer full crew size socks) -- all clothing is nylon.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: What is your exprience with capilene lightweight tshirts? on 12/24/2007 13:42:35 MST Print View

> now I am planning on longer 1-2 weeks hikes. How many moisture wicking tshirt does one need on suck hikes?

One. More is optional.
You don't HAVE to change shirts every day. If it is a warm day the capilene will dry fairly quickly if hung on the outside of your pack.
Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: What is your exprience with capilene lightweight tshirts? on 01/18/2008 20:45:18 MST Print View

On a warm day, it will dry while wearing it, although there is that moment of exhilaration when you put on a wet shirt fresh from a glacial stream.

IMHO, the noises made during such experiences are the root of sasquatch legends. Likewise the fellow who first tried using snowballs for toilet paper-- the hoots from that could not have sounded human :)

YEOEOEOEEOEOEOEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Gail Lusk
(AlohaTink) - F

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!
Patagonia Capilene Lightweight Zip T-Shirt on 01/30/2008 21:03:41 MST Print View

I have one and LOVE it...it is my under base of all I wear.

Since you are in India, I don't know if you have a Target or Wal*Mart over there.
You can find them online and sometimes on sale.
I am pretty sure I paid $19.95 for mine.

I feel it is worth investing in, but also lets not forget thousands have hiked all over the world in cotton t-shirts and jeans for years!!
I have worn it 10 days with no stink, and kept me dry and not sweaty, but then again I do rinse often in pools of water!

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
Re:What is your exprience with capilene lightweight tshirts? on 02/06/2008 03:08:06 MST Print View

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I order 3 of them last month but unfortunately they came out a size small so I have to send them back for exchange. But they are light and the fabric has a very nice feel.

Philip Werner
(earlylite) - F - MLife

Locale: New England
Capiline Shirts on 02/18/2008 18:52:18 MST Print View

I like the long sleeve Capilene shirts a lot, but find that the capilene 1 short sleeve shirt is not as good of a wicking layer as the EMS techwick.