Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
2008 Golite Shelters @
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
I Stand Corrected... on 12/20/2007 14:29:39 MST Print View

OK, I was wrong... GoLite does NOT design its tents in a vacuum. They poke their heads out from time to time -- and come up with tents that are 'almost identical' to the competition -- as Doug Johnson alluded to above. :)

Edited by ben2world on 12/20/2007 21:17:34 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Same but different on 12/20/2007 17:07:27 MST Print View

Like all thoughtful identical twins, those two come dressed differently so that we can tell them apart. If you look carefully, you will notice that the yellow version has a bigger vent; perhaps that was easier than trying to make it smaller . Yes the orange version does have vents, they are just hard to see.
Franco

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
golite core values on 12/20/2007 21:07:54 MST Print View

on their website, I saw this...

GoLite’s Mission & Values

At GoLite, we value

The Courage and Passion to:
Innovate when you need to and step back when you don't

========

Maybe it's a when-you-don't product. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess GoLite makes a whole lot more selling clothing versus shelters based on their product catalog. So maybe the research efforts coincide.

GoLite sponsored athletes use the shelters. From what I've read, they seem to work for them.

The only GoLite shelter I (non-athlete, non-sponsored) own is the Poncho Tarp and it works well and was very economical. If I contributed to GoLite shareholders' wealth, then that's not a problem for me.

GoLite spelled backwards is etilog. I might be wrong, but I think this is an ancient Greek word meaning 'greed is good'.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: golite core values on 12/20/2007 21:42:55 MST Print View

>>The only GoLite shelter I (non-athlete, non-sponsored) own is the Poncho Tarp and it works well and was very economical. If I contributed to GoLite shareholders' wealth, then that's not a problem for me.

Interestingly, the Poncho Tarp is the shelter most favored by Golite's founder. I once had a conversation with Coup at a warehouse sale when I was buying a Poncho Tarp. Coup, personally, is really into the whole UL thing. But he knows that this segment of the market will always be very small. He feels that it's valuable to bring more people into a lighter way of doing things (and make money while doing this), even if they don't go all the way to UL.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Go Lite Xanadu 1 on 12/20/2007 22:12:41 MST Print View

If we compare the Xanadu 1 to the similar (4 season rated ,Epic fabric) BD One Shot and add a vestibule to it (not available) the Go LIte does not look too bad at all. A similar sized add on vestibule for the Firstlight is about one Lb and another $149 .
The question remains, are we happy with Epic under prolonged rain ?
Yesterday here in Melbourne we had a fantastic storm but I missed the opportunity to test my Lighthouse (again...). It is raining again today and have been promised a heavy downpour later on. So the BD is standing in the backyard, doing a good job at the moment remaining dry inside ( after 5 hours)
Franco

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Epic on 12/20/2007 22:43:43 MST Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/10/2013 10:42:33 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Epic on 12/20/2007 23:13:11 MST Print View

Yup -- spend the night inside -- as if you were actually camping! I've done it -- but the more tests, the better for everyone.

Greyson Howard
(Greyhound)

Locale: Sierra Nevada
Golite on 12/20/2007 23:54:22 MST Print View

While I won't argue about the merit of these shelters at this point, my take on Golite is it fills a unique niche as a company.
Golite, at its size, is more of a gateway drug to ultra light, a good place for the masses to venture into the ultra light realm.
I know it was for me: I started with a Golite Down Vest, poncho, and Den 2 shelter (not a popular choice around here, but serves me well enough).
Starting as a NOLS trained heavy-pack hiker, companies like Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, and Tarptent were too unfamiliar to me to start.
And even once Golite has 'em hooked, they have packs and sleeping bags/quilts that are still good for the more seasoned ultralighters.
All that being said, It would be nice if Golite had an equivalent to the Jam2 or Venture quilt in its shelter line to keep us crazies happy.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Another Epic on 12/21/2007 02:38:03 MST Print View

A few hours later....
We have had some sporadic heavy showers with some drizzle in between and the result is that there are several drops forming a few small puddles on the floor, not in the cornres..( big drops, not mist). If this was the case at the end of a long rainy night , it would be fine by me, but not after a few hours of rain.Since the heavy rain only lasted a few minutes at a time , I am pretty sure that in the sort of conditions I have had the Contral in Nepal ( several hours of continuous torrential rain) or down the coast here, I would have had a series of steady drips raining on me. As noted before, most of the dripping (if not all) comes from the poles.(there were several drops on them when I checked) Since I was not inside the tent and the poles were not noticeably colder than the fabric (it's 25c outside) I can only deduce that the major problem is caused by the fabric wetting out under pressure. Anecdotally if the fabric is dirty it loses it's "waterproffness "(water resistance...) and I have experienced that as well, but today the tent was clean and in spite of some wind driven side rain, only the top was leaking.
Franco

Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
Re: New Golite Shelters on 12/21/2007 15:16:07 MST Print View

I had been looking at the Hex 3 for a while as a winter shelter (esp. b/c of the rave review on BPL). So then here comes the Shangri-La 3. I bought it last night for $180 shipped (let the golite flaming continue). There are conflicting specs out there depending on which site you look at, but the two shelters look almost identical. I'll post some measurements and pics after I recieve it.
Oh yeah, and thanks FamilyGuy!

Edited by HechoEnDetroit on 12/21/2007 15:18:27 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Utopia on 12/21/2007 15:24:43 MST Print View

The Utopia 1 (2 lbs) is similar to my Eureka Zeus 1 Exo (2.5 lbs with the floor and front door cut out), only better. But, there may very well be ice crystals floating in the air when you wake up in the middle of the night as I get in mine. At least the Zeus has low and high vents whereas the Utopia only has mid vents. I wonder how wide the Utopia is?

Yep, the floor width of the utopia 1 should be around 30 inches, sorta narrow, but it can be widened by pulling out floor-level side stake outs.

Edited by jshann on 01/06/2008 10:12:26 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Utopia 1 on 12/21/2007 16:31:30 MST Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/10/2013 10:39:35 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

2008 GoLite shelters on 12/21/2007 17:13:38 MST Print View

There appear to be some confusion about the material of the new Go Lite line up, not helped by the fact that they do not appear ,still ,on their site.
As far as I understand, the Utopia and Shangri La are made out of silnylon (SilLite) , but the Valhalla and Xanadu have the body made with Epic and the vestibule from silnylon and not the other way around as reported.... ?????

Overall, I think that Go Lite should be commended ( in spite of some of the comments above, including mine) for releasing at least 15 new or redesigned shelters that, taking into account the 4 season rating on most of them, can be considered light if not UltraLite.

Again I am not sure about Epic, my Lighthouse performed very well in snow (limited experience) but still have mixed results under rain. I have started another thread about this point.
Franco

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Xanadu Epic on 12/21/2007 18:05:02 MST Print View

I'd really like to know which it is, the body is Epic or the fly is Epic. If the fly is Epic then it may very well be a shelter I'd like to look at, since it makes a lot of sense. If the other way, however, then it isn't really a shelter that I'd consider, especially with a vestibule that can take more rain than the body!

I've been considering the Xanadu 1 because I want a wind-stable, waterproof tent similar to the BD One Shot, but with a vestibule and a canopy that can really take rain.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

2008 GoLIte shelters on 12/21/2007 18:37:53 MST Print View

Hi Miguel
My sentiment exactly. What you describe is the kind of tent I am after, side entrance, reasonable sized vestibule, almost freestanding and with a waterproof canopy. I think that Epic can work well as a breathable and water-resistant vestibule, particularly not having pressure points. Maybe we have to wait for the 09 version.
Franco

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: 2008 GoLIte shelters on 12/22/2007 10:30:27 MST Print View

I dont really have any interest in the new golite shelters, Im kind of dissapointed. I just hope they do not discontinue old shelters like the ponch-tarp, and cave.

I am really excited about the new line up of sleeping bags though, golite finally got ther act together. I am confused about the 1lb 13oz weight listing I saw for the venture quilt, when BPL has been talking about an impressive 1lb 3oz weight.

all in all, golite is still one of my favorite companies, but I have been dissapointed in some of their new gear and clothing.

I wish I could still get my hands on some of their old clothes/backpacks/ect. that were replaced by less appealing gear

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
GoLite Pyramid on 12/22/2007 14:44:18 MST Print View

SteveO,

Congrats on your new tipi. I have been using the Hex 3 the last several years for winter backpacking and it has served me well, especially in wet nasty weather. Please let me know what the differences are when you have had a chance to erect and inspect. Thanks, John

jim bailey
(florigen) - F - M

Locale: South East
In defense of new Golite shelters on 12/22/2007 19:52:51 MST Print View

Would applaud Golite for their relaunch of shelters, sleep systems and 07 packs. Seems like they are concerned with mass market UL appeal and getting more folks on board that might have different shelter needs depending on there location and time of the year they would most likely be out using.

Would also give them credit for offering multiple component & sizing options, found on this end as a year round user with extreme seasonal differences that a one size fits all type of shelter is not the best solution. As far as bug netting goes, glad it’s an option since bug netting would only be needed for maybe 3 months of the year up here. As far as a floor is concerned would prefer a ground cloth under sleep system saving weight and allowing user to wear footwear inside to keep feet warm during cooler times of the year.

Was fortunate enough to be one of the people on the Wilderness Trekking Course BPL offered using the Shangri-la 6 & 8 person versions, impressed all and made the most sense in a group setting, not sure of any other company that offers a eight person shelter weighing in around seven pounds.

Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
Re: In defense of new Golite shelters on 12/22/2007 20:23:47 MST Print View

"Was fortunate enough to be one of the people on the Wilderness Trekking Course BPL offered using the Shangri-la 6 & 8 person versions"

Any pics of those James?

Damien Tougas
(dtougas) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Gaspé Peninsula
Re: In defense of new Golite shelters on 12/23/2007 04:31:31 MST Print View

I agree with florigen regarding the size of the shelters. I have been looking for a larger family-size (i.e. 5 people) shelter for backpacking and there really isn't much out there for anything bigger than 4 people with full bug protection. There are tipis, but I want something with a floor and bug netting for the sake of my wife and kids. The Shangri-la 6+ looks to be perfect in that regard.

Also, I was curious if it is possible to use the Shagri-la 4 bug nest under the Shangri-la 6 shelter. From specs I have read, it looks like it might be possible. This would be really cool because then you could have a tent with full bug protection AND a vestibule.