ROFL -- The Day After
Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: ROFL -- The Day After on 12/31/2007 10:37:13 MST Print View

Personally, I liked the ranking system. It's not perfect, but who cares. Maybe a simple formula of gear reviews + forum posts would suffice to help define a user's activity on the website.

David Couch
(Davidc) - F

Locale: England
A step in the right direction. on 12/31/2007 11:05:22 MST Print View

I hope this is a stage on the way making the ranking invisible to anyone but BPL staff and the member concerned. If so I will consider renewing my membership, though I will probably wait for the development of a membership which allows online access to the magazine. I seem to remember this was sort of pre-announced some time ago together with a promise of more articles.

Matthew LaPatka
(gungadin) - M

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
Who cares? on 12/31/2007 12:01:55 MST Print View

It amazes me that so many people get so offended by the ranking. We are here to talk about lightweight backpacking. You know, keeping life (at lease in the wilds) as simple as possible. To me, part of this is not letting petty issues like a ranking bug me. My ranking seems pretty high; this certainly doesn't make me an all-knowing soothsayer or something. Let's talk about what makes our loved activity (or way of life) of backpacking so great and how to improve our experience with it. We should try to avoid gettting mired in the mundane details of a relatively unimportant number. We are all winners here;), no matter your number!

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
The Ranking System is Gone! on 12/31/2007 12:13:46 MST Print View

And just like that the ratings are gone.

Now don't change it from the way it is.

I have been saying to change it to the way it is now on all of these topics about this.

I personally like to be able to go into someone’s profile and see there rank, (the way it is now).

I like this because if I see the same old question that has been asked a 1000 times I will check out the rank before I answer it.
Basically, I am looking if it's someone who has knowledge and may be trying to get some different info than he already has, or if it's just the .001 ranked person asking about what bag he should use...ect...

Edited by awsorensen on 12/31/2007 12:17:07 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Who cares? on 12/31/2007 14:32:33 MST Print View

Matthew:

You are right -- because the ranking is so silly that at the end of the day, the only pertinent question is indeed: "who cares"!

But I think part of the complaint is the simple fact that some of us just plain don't like to be ranked!

Here's an analogy. Say you've got a cameraman pointing his camera at you. I can say to you "who cares, why should you let it bother you... it's not touching you or hurting you". But if you have a camera pointed at you and following you every step of the way -- even if from a distance -- then I think you have the right to express your annoyance -- if indeed that's how you feel.

I like this forum -- not so much because of BPL per se -- but because of the community itself. BPL's silly ranking system doesn't bother me enough to sign off the forum -- but it is the reason why I have chosen NOT TO RENEW my subscription.

Edited by ben2world on 12/31/2007 14:37:47 MST.

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
You mean the $20 I pay Ryan for a 3.80 was wasted? on 12/31/2007 15:25:42 MST Print View

Darn,
you mean I wasted $20 ;)

I'd still like to see the following:

1) Total # of posts / reviews (cumulative or annually)

2) A "report this overt spam" button on each post