Forum Index » Mountaineering & Alpinism » Haul bags?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nat Lim
(LithiumMetalman) - F

Locale: Cesspool Central!
Haul bags? on 12/18/2007 10:54:02 MST Print View

Hi, I'm looking into buying a haul bag for grade IV, V routes. What would you folks recommend as a durable yet lightweightish bag, and what size do your recommend.

Also I am much more interested in freeing, than aiding (only if I have to), so possibly could go for less space.

Thanks!

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
maybe you should look at a haul pack on 12/19/2007 10:40:53 MST Print View

Since this is ultimatly a lightweight forum maybe you should look at a combination haul bag and pack like the metolius zodiac haul pack. It has the abrasion resistance that eats up normal packs [never haul an ultralight pack]. There are several other models of various sizes.

Edited by pyeyo on 12/19/2007 10:43:05 MST.

jon goldsmith
(jegsmith) - F
cilogear on 12/19/2007 23:22:47 MST Print View

The Cilogear dyneema worksack looks sweet:

http://www.cilogear.com/dyneema45.html

Nat Lim
(LithiumMetalman) - F

woah! on 12/20/2007 08:18:44 MST Print View

The Zodiac bag looks great, will have to check the different sizes out they come in (900 Cu in. maybe too small?)

The cilogear dyneema, wow, very cool looking pack, that's one very expensive piece of gear!!!

Graham Williams
(crackers) - F
freeing big walls on 12/20/2007 10:24:33 MST Print View

have you freed a big wall yet? You might check out the photo story in the last issue of Rock and Ice.

Most folks who are working on freeing a wall have full sized haul bags and a small seconds pack.

Our 99% Dyneema packs have definitely been hauled a bunch, but they're not haul bags, they're backpacks. A 30L Dyneema might work for your seconds pack, but...

Metolius makes the best haul bags that are always in stock. Fish makes great ones if you can wait. Mad Rock makes the cheapest ones, made in China under god-knows-what conditions.

Good luck.

Nat Lim
(LithiumMetalman) - F

Soon on 12/21/2007 17:46:00 MST Print View

Hi,

Thanks for your advice (thanx Graham)!

Edited by LithiumMetalman on 01/08/2008 16:38:53 MST.