This looked like an interesting project, and I wanted to try it myself, so I built one as well. I used it on a recent SUL trip to the Ventana Wilderness near California's Big Sur coast recently. (The pictures were taken at a trailhead campsite.)
The stove was made simply of parts of three cans and a bit of 1/2" hardware cloth. These particular bean cans were chosen because they stack; in other words, their bottom crimped lid is a smaller diameter than their upper crimped lid, and thus nests inside the rim of the top lid..
The tools used were a can opener, hand drill, Exacto knife, sheet metal shears, and needle-nosed pliers.
One can becomes the burn chamber. Both ends are cut out with the can opener. The other can is opened initially at the bottom to remove the beans, and then cut about 1/2" from the wider, top end with the sheet metal shears after starting from a drilled hole. The top 1/2" of the can, with the lid still intact, become the ash pan at the bottom of the stove, and the remaining bottom of the can becomes the pot stand and wind screen. The beer can is cut by repeated scoring with an Exacto knife to precisely fit the two cans inserted into each end. Holes were drilled for ports in the lower sides of the beer can and the upper sides of the burn chamber can, similar to the description above. The hardware cloth was attached to the bottom of the burn chamber by making 1/4" vertical snip in the bottom of the burn chamber can, and bending up triangles to crimp in place the wire.
Here's the stove, ready for a burn. The finished stove weighed 3.4 ounces. It's full of oak chips and found twigs, with a tiny (1/2" x 1/2" x 1/8") shaving of "Presto Log" on top as a starter.
Once the stove is lit, I wait for wood gassification to begin.
Then I put the pot on. In this test, it contains 16 fluid ounces of about 60 degree Fahrenheit water.
Even the slightest breeze seemed to diminish the efficiency of the stove. It worked much better when I added a more robust wind screen. (Note even more wood-gas burning in this shot, above.)
Finally, after solving the wind problem, and adding almost the same amount of wood that I originally loaded the chamber with, I got a rolling boil in under 11:00 minutes.
After the very first burn, the expansion and contraction of the cans made disassembly impossible without destroying the stove. After about 8 burns, the aluminum has become rather soft and I fear for the continued durability of the stove.
I agree with the other poster who said that the close distance between the two cans probably limited the wood-gas flow to the upper ports. But it did perform quite nicely cooking for 2 people over a weekend, and even for just 4 meals, saved total carry weight versus an alcohol stove, wind screen, fuel bottle, and fuel.
I'm thinking of trying the paint can stove in this thread next: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/6402/index.html