thru hike uppers
Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Craddock
(pcraddock) - F
thru hike uppers on 12/16/2007 22:33:06 MST Print View

so, hiking the pct this year, and it's hard b/c nobody in austin carries much of this stuff. I'm thinking a base layer, a loft layer, and a medium resistance rain/wind layer. thoughts? I've looked heavily into this and have thought about the following:

-Marmort Driclime Windshirt: decently warm, functional over a wide range of temperatures, and just darn functional. Everybody loves it, but not avail. here right now.
-Patagonia M Down Sweater===ahhhhhh, so cozy, warm. rather light
-Bozeman Cocoon-so lite, synthetic so no worries, warm and functional, but no pockets. who can live without pockets?
-one of the other synthetics, like Go-lite, or Mountain Hardeware, etc.

Thoughts? Pleeeeeaaaaasssseee, don't tell me it's personal preference and depends on the moon, etc. I know that. This is for a thru hike, so just a good general discussion is great. thanks!!

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: thru hike uppers on 12/17/2007 00:29:09 MST Print View

Your choices seem good to me with the exception of the Cocoon. Your talking thru hiking here and the gear will need to get you all the way to Canada. IMHO the Mont Bell Thermawrap Parka is a sturdier product. I have been using a Thermawrap Jacket for two years and it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. It is very light weight, warm and durable. And, it has pockets without those confound zippers.Mont Bell Thermawrap Parka

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Re: thru hike uppers on 12/17/2007 01:10:29 MST Print View

Don't you think you might need a fully waterproof jacket instead of just a windshirt?

(edited due to typo)

Edited by RiverRunner on 12/17/2007 13:26:26 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: thru hike uppers on 12/17/2007 02:03:32 MST Print View

> -Bozeman Cocoon-so lite, synthetic so no worries, warm and functional, but no pockets. who can live without pockets?

Seems strange to dismiss the Cocoon over pockets. Anyhow, it has a chest pocket. And the fabric is quite tough.

As to local availability - that's what the web is for.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: thru hike uppers on 12/17/2007 09:40:08 MST Print View

Roger,
The toughness I refer is the caveat to avoid stuffing the Cocoon due to the possibility of insulation damage. Thru hiking for weeks on end, under sometimes difficult conditions may lead to some equipment abuse. Having passed many thru hikers on the PCT I've seen the results. Much Duct and/or Sail Tape plus crude emergency sewing repairs. I am willing to sacrifice a few ounces for a little more "bomb-proof" gear. Just my preference.

Patrick,
Even though the Cocoon, or any other synthetic insulated jacket, will keep you warm when wet. You would be advised to have a breathable waterproof shell. The Sierra summer thunder showers can be significant not to mention the rain in Oregon and Washington.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
thru hike uppers on 12/17/2007 11:52:20 MST Print View

In terms of the durability of the insulation I think you'll find the same troubles between the Thermawrap and the Cocoon (synthetic insulation needs to be cared for).

My Thermawrap lived in the bottom of my pack stuffed with my quilt for two months on my thru-hike this summer and it lost significant loft.

My "uppers" list:

Jacket - Montane Litespeed
Jacket - Montbell - UL Thermawrap
Shirt - Arc'Teryx - Ether Crew SS
Shirt - Arc'Teryx - Ether Crew LS
Raingear - Marmot - PreCip (modified)

Patrick Craddock
(pcraddock) - F
Sam's Gear on 12/17/2007 13:35:08 MST Print View

Sam, I like the Montane Parka from the looks of it. So you bring a Windshirt and then a truly waterproof layer ie Preclip? Why not just use the waterproof layer as a windshirt?

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Re: thru hike uppers on 12/17/2007 13:35:51 MST Print View

I agree with Sam that any jacket will lose some loft if compressed too much or too often. It's just the nature of insulation. I imagine down might also suffer some degredation, just maybe not as much.

I really like the Montbell U.L. Down Parka, but I think it is smart to go with a synthetic jacket for a long hike, especially if you have a down bag. One thing I would want is a full zipper for ventilation options, so I would probably go with the Cocoon PRO parka or a similar jacket with a full zip over the pullover. Hoods are nice too if they don't add much weight.

Pam

David Neumann
(idahomtman) - M

Locale: Northern Idaho
Thru hike uppers on 12/17/2007 14:12:45 MST Print View

I've had my Montbell Thermawrap for almost three years. I pack is loosely with my sleeping bag or quilt. It has lost some loft but it's a pretty tough jacket and provides a nice safety buffer being synthetic. You will need rainwear particularly in the northwest. I like my Patagonia Specter and GoLite Reed rain pants unless I'm using a tarp, then I go with the SMD Gatewood Cape and a windshirt (GoLite Wisp).

Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Re: thru hike uppers on 12/17/2007 15:24:02 MST Print View

>it's hard b/c nobody in austin carries much of this stuff

Almost all the gear I have or want cannot be found in a brick-and-mortar store anywhere. As Roger Caffin said, "that's what the web is for."

Instead of the Marmot DriClime, I would recommend a separate lightweight baselayer and windshirt. This combination is lighter and more versatile (you can take windshirt on and off depending on weather and still have a shirt on)
I would expect the DriClime to be much too warm in the Southern California desert, and almost anywhere along the PCT during the summer months.

Bringing both the Patagonia Down Sweater and the BMW Cocoon seems like more insulation than you would need.

I've heard great things about both the BMW Cocoon and the Montbell Thermawrap. However, I've also had great success with the Patagonia Micropuff pullover. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices.

Have a great time on your trip! If what I have heard is true, it will be the trip of a lifetime.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Re: Sam's Gear on 12/17/2007 18:03:56 MST Print View

> Why not just use the waterproof layer as a windshirt?

The Precip isn't breathable enough for use as a windshirt.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: thru hike uppers on 12/18/2007 02:13:48 MST Print View

Hi Denis

> The toughness I refer is the caveat to avoid stuffing the Cocoon due to the possibility of insulation damage.
> Thru hiking for weeks on end, under sometimes difficult conditions may lead to some equipment abuse.
I agree that stuffing anything with synthetic insulation into a too-small bag will cause problems. But what size bag you use is totally under your control. Sue and I took Cocoons for our 3 month walking trip in France (see gear list on BPL) but they were packed in bags made to be big enough. There was no noticeable loss of loft at the end. Mind you, I do exactly the same thing with our UL down sleeping bags: I pack them fairly loose.

Does packing this gear loosely cause any problem with the larger volume? Nope. What matters to me is weight, not volume.

Edited by rcaffin on 12/18/2007 02:28:03 MST.