Forum Index » Chaff » Cost/Doability of resupply drop service at Charlette Lake on JMT hike

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Resupply drop at Charlette Lake on JMT hike on 12/16/2007 00:10:21 MST Print View

I'm trying to research the cost and doability of a resupply drop service by a packing service to provide 3 people with resupplies about midpoint between Muir Trail Ranch and Mt Whitney on the JMT and it appears that point would be either Charlette Lake Ranger Station or Kearsarge Pass or some other nearby meeting place with the Packer.

Some questions. Is it true, dropoffs are no longer allowed on the JMT and one has to physically meet the packing service? If so, then what is the best location to avoid waiting long period of time at a high altitude but still be close enough to the packer's starting point that they can make it to the meeting place in less than one day -- any recommendation for a packing service? One packer mentions this at http://horse-pack-trips.gordonsguide.com/sequoia/ . Any comments? Plus haven't the rules changed in the last 2 years? Thanks.

Edited by marti124 on 12/16/2007 00:12:05 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
resupply drop service at Charlette Lake on 12/16/2007 11:24:29 MST Print View

Roleigh:

PM sent. Contact me.

For the others - As of 3/31/07, NPS regulations require packers to deliver your provisions within 24 hours of pick-up, or meet the party. The least expensive drop point is the JMT/Kearsarge Pass trail junction (about $420), other than hiking out to the pack station in Onion Valley. Resupplying at the pack station is $75, and you can get pay showers and free camping there. For details, pricing, and procedures, contact Ms. Dee Berner at Sequoia Kings Pack Train at pinecreekps@aol.com or call 760-387-2627. Website is http://horse-pack-trips.gordonsguide.com/sequoia/index.cfm

Wandering Bob

Edited by wandering_bob on 12/16/2007 11:26:07 MST.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: resupply drop service at Charlette Lake on 12/16/2007 20:02:15 MST Print View

Bob, thanks. A question, how far off the JMT is Sequoia Kings Pack Train if one did a resupply at the pack station there? Also, how high is the elevation at the JMT/Kearsarge Pass trail junction -- and if it is very high, how short a distance in time is it to a more reasonable altitude if one gets there quite a bit of ahead of time? There have been passes I've been on that I'd not like to stay there any length of time waiting for a meetup due to some of the winds that occur at the top of passes or due to the high altitude.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
JMT Resupply on 12/16/2007 20:46:57 MST Print View

It is nine miles from the Charlotte Lakes/JMT/Kearsarge Pass trail junction down to the pack station in Onion Valley.

The junction is at 10,740 feet. I've not been there, but I'm told is is relatively flat and sandy with shade.

There is another JMT/Kearsarge Pass trail junction (elev. 10,515 feet) south of there that goes past Bullfrog Lake, eventually climbing NE up to meet the trail over Kearsarge Pass. Last I heard, there's no camping allowed at Bullfrog Lake but you can camp at the Kearsarge Lakes.

Edited by wandering_bob on 12/16/2007 21:03:01 MST.

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

Locale: Northeast
Resupply drop on 12/16/2007 21:08:46 MST Print View

It has been several years now, I had a resupply drop made at Charlotte Lake. Asked that the resupply be left in the bear box at the campground. Worked out perfectly. If you wish to avoid the short detour, you could have the drop made at Vidette Meadow which you pass along the JMT.