Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Preshrinking Fabric
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Preshrinking Fabric on 12/13/2007 18:53:33 MST Print View

Hi Guys-

So, in my efforts to improve my sewing and have my MYOG projects not look so much like they were hand sewn by a chimpanzee, I just read "Sewing for Dummies" to learn some new tips.

One of the things they suggest is to pre-wash and press your fabric and trim before sewing to reduce puckering of the finished project.

Have any of you tried this? Is it worth it?

Edited by MikeMartin on 12/13/2007 18:54:24 MST.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
"Preshrinking Fabric" on 12/13/2007 21:52:53 MST Print View

Hi Mike,

I pre-wash all my silk and merino before sewing with it. It is also important to pre-wash silk before dying it. I add the silk wet to my dye pot. I press (iron) the silk after washing or dying it as it is much easier to work with.

Other material like Pertex products and Cuben are not pre-washed.

Edited by bfornshell on 12/14/2007 09:35:31 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: "Preshrinking Fabric" on 12/14/2007 02:12:28 MST Print View

> Other material like Cuben are not pre-washed.
Ah, Bill, you disappoint me! I was hoping to hear how you pre-washed all your Cuben fabric ... :-)

And strangely, I have found that pre-washing silnylon is not a lot of use either - and the same goes for the Dim Poly X-Pac fabrics too.

Mike - the pre-wash thing really only applies to fabrics made from natural fibers. Synthetic fabrics rarely undergo any changes from washing at all.

Edited by rcaffin on 12/14/2007 02:15:03 MST.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: "Preshrinking Fabric" on 12/14/2007 09:18:45 MST Print View

Thanks, Guys! Now I won't have to explain to my wife why there is 10 yards of silnylon drying in the laundry room. ;-)