Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Preshrinking Fabric
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Preshrinking Fabric on 12/13/2007 18:53:33 MST Print View

Hi Guys-

So, in my efforts to improve my sewing and have my MYOG projects not look so much like they were hand sewn by a chimpanzee, I just read "Sewing for Dummies" to learn some new tips.

One of the things they suggest is to pre-wash and press your fabric and trim before sewing to reduce puckering of the finished project.

Have any of you tried this? Is it worth it?

Cheers,

-Mike

Edited by MikeMartin on 12/13/2007 18:54:24 MST.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
"Preshrinking Fabric" on 12/13/2007 21:52:53 MST Print View

Hi Mike,

I pre-wash all my silk and merino before sewing with it. It is also important to pre-wash silk before dying it. I add the silk wet to my dye pot. I press (iron) the silk after washing or dying it as it is much easier to work with.

Other material like Pertex products and Cuben are not pre-washed.

Edited by bfornshell on 12/14/2007 09:35:31 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: "Preshrinking Fabric" on 12/14/2007 02:12:28 MST Print View

> Other material like Cuben are not pre-washed.
Ah, Bill, you disappoint me! I was hoping to hear how you pre-washed all your Cuben fabric ... :-)

And strangely, I have found that pre-washing silnylon is not a lot of use either - and the same goes for the Dim Poly X-Pac fabrics too.

Mike - the pre-wash thing really only applies to fabrics made from natural fibers. Synthetic fabrics rarely undergo any changes from washing at all.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 12/14/2007 02:15:03 MST.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: "Preshrinking Fabric" on 12/14/2007 09:18:45 MST Print View

Thanks, Guys! Now I won't have to explain to my wife why there is 10 yards of silnylon drying in the laundry room. ;-)

-Mike