Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Washing the Heineken Pot
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Cook
(jim_cook)

Locale: Land of Cotton
Washing the Heineken Pot on 12/13/2007 10:42:29 MST Print View

I just recently picked up a Heineken can pot kit and have been experimenting with it in the kitchen. Very nice, but how easy is it to wash? My hands won't fit down in there. Does the plastic liner make it easy to just rinse it out or does one employ a toothbrush or other device?

Michael Reagan
(MichaelReagan) - F

Locale: Southern California
eh? washing? on 12/13/2007 11:08:41 MST Print View

Although this sounds like a personal hygene problem, I have to admit that it took me awhile to learn to wash my heine. It was hard for me to get my whole hand in there, ya know? Eventually I learned to just wind a bit of a washrag around the end of a stick and shove it in there and swirl it about a bit. A quick rinse and all is fine until next use. Try not to use the same stick twice...

Michael

Jim Cook
(jim_cook)

Re: eh? washing? on 12/13/2007 14:01:51 MST Print View

I was so about to title the post "Washing My Heine" but chickened out. Thanks for breaking the tension. :)

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Re: eh? washing? on 12/13/2007 15:05:56 MST Print View

Most everyone I know uses the Henie-pot just for heating / boiling water negating the need for actually washing it...

Douglas McCoy
(dmccoy) - F

Locale: Spokane Wa
Clean Heine on 12/13/2007 15:19:16 MST Print View

All I ever do is boil water in mine so there is not an issue really. When I get home froma treak I just throw it in the dishwasher and call it good. Been using the same pot for a year now.

Michael Reagan
(MichaelReagan) - F

Locale: Southern California
Yes, butt... on 12/13/2007 15:31:13 MST Print View

...if you also use your Heineken pot as a cup from which to drink your tea, you likely will need to give it a bit of a rinse between uses.

...if you store a small alcohol bottle in the pot and it should leak, you'll also want to wash your Heine before use.

...if you actually (gasp!) COOK in it (I wonder how many do) then of course it will need a wash.

There may be more reasons to wash your Heine, "butt" that's all I can think of now. :o)

Michael

Edited by MichaelReagan on 12/13/2007 15:32:10 MST.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Washing on 12/15/2007 09:59:48 MST Print View

What about one of those dish washing things that have a thin sponge on one end and hold the detergent in the handle? That would be narrow enough to fit inside.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Washing the Heineken Pot on 12/15/2007 16:11:48 MST Print View

The Heinie pot I use gets washed every time I unload my pack after a trip. How clean do you need to be anyhow?

Jim Cook
(jim_cook)

Clarification on 12/17/2007 23:48:36 MST Print View

Sorry, I meant washing it while on the trail. Certainly it's no problem to wash at home with a dishwasher or a variety of brushes, sponges, etc. But I probably won't want to go attend to the pot while supper gets cold. And, yes, I do plan to (gasp) actually cook in it, more than just a pot of 212° H20.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
RE: Washing the Heineken Pot on 12/18/2007 00:22:35 MST Print View

I think the Heine pot's UL purpose is best suited to boiling water. It's too difficult to clean with the small diameter opening and the depth. Depending on what you're cooking, it may even be impossible to clean without an extra cleaning device. Which would defeat the point of choosing the Heine pot for your pack. I can actually stuff my hand in there if needed. But if you can't manage that, I'm inclined to suggest it's not a pot to be cooked in.

-Michael

EDIT: You know, I never looked back once I discovered freezer-bag cooking.

Edited by uberkatzen on 12/18/2007 00:26:47 MST.