Forum Index » Chaff » Yosemite Meadow Question

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Whiteside
(ruralbackpacker) - F

Locale: Northern California
Yosemite Meadow Question on 12/10/2007 16:05:51 MST Print View

Does anyone out there know the name of the long meadow in Yosemite park that is North of Glen Aulin on the PCT. Once I heard someone refer to it as "Smokey Joe meadow" but I have been unable to confirm that. It is about two miles long and the PCT goes through it for at least a mile.

It is here: 37.57.25

There is a good view of it in Google Earth.

(I love the Northern part of Yosemite. I spent thirteen days there this year.)

Thanks,
Michael

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Yosenite on 12/10/2007 20:28:56 MST Print View

Tis a magical place but unfortunately cannot tell you! Sorry.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
this meadow on 12/12/2007 14:14:10 MST Print View

According to "Place names of the High Sierra"[1926] by Francis P. Farquhar this meadow is called the Sir Ryan Jordan meadow, what an odd coincidence.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Meadow North of Glen Aulin on 12/12/2007 15:51:42 MST Print View

According to my Tom Harrison Topo map, the area is called 'Cold Canyon'. I passed through in 2006 and would like to go back.
Meadow North of Glen Aulin

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

that's probably a good guess on 12/13/2007 12:56:26 MST Print View

That's probably a pretty good guess.
There is a meadow up that way locally named after Smoke Blanchard, the problem is the only one I know who knows where it is is Steve Dillon and I don't know where Steve the Roach is.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Smoke on 12/13/2007 19:54:21 MST Print View

Anyone here read Smoke's "Walking Up And Down In The World"?

Michael Whiteside
(ruralbackpacker) - F

Locale: Northern California
Smoke Blanchard's book on 01/01/2008 08:20:16 MST Print View

Larry, thanks for mentioning the connection to Smoke Blanchard and Denis, thanks for mentioning the book. I should finish it today.

What those guys were doing back then--in the thirties, forties and fifties especially, in the snow, with crude, heavy equipment, is amazing. Inspirational. Smoke himself was quite a character and a pretty good writer, too. I've enjoyed the book very much.

I got the book on an interlibrary loan. It came from Lake County, CA, in case anyone else wants to borrow it.

Thanks again for mentioning it.

Michael

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

another character often overlooked on 01/01/2008 09:02:23 MST Print View

Another character that is often overlooked is Norman Clyde. In some of my early forays in the sixties I would find summit registers on mostly unnamed peaks in the Sierras that had one name, Norman Clyde. His life overlapped that of John Muir and his lists of first ascents from 1914 to 1940 is staggering, and these list only include named peaks not the hundreds of others he soloed, usually with a load of hard bound books of classic literature.
http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/norman_clyde/page57.html
There is a reading list at the bottom of this link.
The other name often found in those old summit tins was Royal Robbins.