Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Winter trail snacks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Froese
(alwayscurious) - F
Winter trail snacks on 12/09/2007 16:41:20 MST Print View

I just got in from an afternoon of snowshoeing, and was frustrated with the stiffness of my favorite fruit bar trail snacks. I'm thinking that bite-size snacks will be easier to eat - maybe cashews and Reese's Pieces.

What are your favorite winter trail snacks?

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
winter snacks on 12/09/2007 19:46:07 MST Print View

A bag of walnuts, dried pineapple, and dark chocolate M&M's (they're the ones in the purple bags).

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
RE: Winter trail snacks on 12/10/2007 13:33:47 MST Print View

I've got nearly the same recommendation as Kathleen. Only I substitute Brazil nuts and prefer them unroasted to maintain their powerhouse supply of nutrients and then add some roasted/salted cashews for my flavor/salt fix.

Edited by uberkatzen on 12/10/2007 13:43:17 MST.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
My faves? on 12/10/2007 16:14:32 MST Print View

Homemade fudge. The stuff is the best on trips in the winter, full of fat and calories :-D
Otherwise? Potato chips and dried apricots in single serving packs to keep them fresh.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Winter trail snacks on 12/11/2007 06:46:23 MST Print View

I've become addicted to Planters Mix for Pistachio lovers. It has cashews, pistachios, brazilian (I think)and maybe almonds...not sure. I'm honing in to the pistachios. I don't pay much attention to the rest of the nuts.

I used to cut up my favorite energy bars into tiny squares when I biked. It made it easy to eat and pop in my mouth when riding those long rides.

Matthew Froese
(alwayscurious) - F
Winter snack suggestions on 12/17/2007 20:30:04 MST Print View

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Winter snack suggestions on 12/17/2007 20:45:23 MST Print View

Big Sur Bars!

These are brilliant. They stay reasonably soft, pack MASSIVE calories, and are the best tasting bars on the planet!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Winter trail snacks on 01/09/2008 08:12:02 MST Print View

one thing you can do to avoid the stiffness of your trail snacks on day trips is to tuck them into an OP Sak (www.watchfuleyedesigns.com) and then keep that in an interior pocket of your jacket... if you get too warm though you might melt anything chocolate but this works great for trail bars and such.