Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Maui

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chad Ellertson
(NorthernLights) - F

Locale: Superior Hiking Trail
Maui on 12/07/2007 19:55:13 MST Print View

So I'm going to Hawaii in March and have been thinking about hiking while there. Been looking into Haleakala's crater 10,000 feet and hiking down to a campsite, Paliku. Has anyone experienced hiking in Hawaii and does anyone have any tips. I think I'd just do a night or two, since I am only there for a week.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
Haleakala on 12/09/2007 17:53:12 MST Print View

I love Maui in March/April. You've picked a good trip down into the crater but carefully watch the weather reports. It's quite unpredictable and you could receive inclement weather that would cancel the hike. I'm talking near freezing, vertically blown rain. On one trip we drove up to the ridge not believing it could be so bad... it was worse, and turned back.

On my last trip, myself and two others were dropped off at the Sliding Sands trail head and hiked across to the camp sites at Paliku. They're beautiful sites, with a towering mountain wall, shrouded by morning mist. In the morning, we hiked out the Kaupo Gap down to the highway and had lunch at a cafe in Kaupo (Kaupo is the size of one cafe). Coming out The Gap is a grueling downhill hike with some very rocky sections obscured by vegetation, and some slippery, rocky roads, all of it steep. We were picked up at Kaupo and then camped at Ohe'o Gulch. The following day we drove through Hana. On my next trip I'd love to just hitch a ride from Kaupo to Ohe'o and then out. The locals are pretty supportive around there.

If you have the time, and can handle the logistics, spend your first night at Paliku, hike out the gap and then camp at Ohe'O gulch. Or, camp out at Ohe'O some other time, it's a great place.

I can provide more details if you like. I have family in Kula but not such that I can provide a hook-up (we're out of sorts with each other at the moment... family)

-Michael

Edited by uberkatzen on 12/09/2007 17:56:15 MST.

Chad Ellertson
(NorthernLights) - F

Locale: Superior Hiking Trail
haleakala on 12/09/2007 20:12:22 MST Print View

I heard it was a great time to go, so I go. I was looking at doing a route on the gap the second day. I might be able to swing two nights I guess. Thanks for the head's up on the weather. I was thinking that it could be unpredictable, but not so much. I'll be sure to prepare well. How is that water situation? I was looking on the NPS website for it, and it said that it can be hard if its dry, but it shouldn't be during March/April should it? I saw some pictures of Paliku and knew that it looks like an awesome place to hike!

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
re: haleakala on 12/09/2007 22:51:15 MST Print View

You'll know if the crater is going to be foul. Just watch the weather reports and check with the ranger station. Don't expect to look out your window and know anything about what's going on in there, and don't underestimate the reports.

Every April trip has had more or less rain at Ohe'O Gulch, but it's always rained at night/morning and it can get very, very windy at night as well. Being a sub-tropical rain forest on a coast, the temps are very pleasant, even in such a downpour. The winds and rain really do have some serious potential. I awoke in a lake once, and another member had their crappy tent laid to rest.

What is your concern with water? Well, there is none in the crater. Pack all you'll need. And I downed a lot going out the gap. It's very hot and exposed on that face of the mountain. Once you get to the highway, you'll have resources again.

BTW, I can give you a few other tips for things to do on Maui if you have gaps in your schedule. Give yerself time in the water; in March/April the whales have already birthed their calves, so the ocean is filled with whale song. It's unimaginable.

EDIT:
Take the Halemau‘u trail instead of Sliding Sands. It's more work but also more rewarding all around.

Edited by uberkatzen on 12/09/2007 23:10:33 MST.