Lightest Hammock
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
New Hammock Info on 12/06/2007 21:24:07 MST Print View

I have been thinking about getting a hammock for longer than I have been UL backpacking. I now, however, have a new criteria. It needs to be light. With that in mind, what are some good hammock options. And, is there any chance of getting a hammock as light as some of the SUL shelters (i.e. cuban fiber tents)?

Edited by dufus934 on 12/06/2007 21:32:35 MST.

Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Re: New Hammock Info on 12/07/2007 16:01:42 MST Print View

I've been looking at some hammocks, is the 1lb 15oz hennesey model pretty light or can I do better?

Heather Pisani-Kristl
(P-K) - F

Locale: San Diego
Lots to consider with hammocks on 12/08/2007 04:03:51 MST Print View

Hi Kyle,
Here's a BPL thread on Bill Fornshell's cuben hammock:
http://tinyurl.com/2wdunh.

Hammock weight has so many variables: rigging, bug protection, insulation, tarp, and the hammock itself. You could get pretty light with a Speer-type hammock (top-entry), cc foam pad and poncho-tarp, but this depends on your need for bug netting and warmth. Take a look at hammockforums.net and Just Jeff's site at www.tothewoods.net. Lots of nice folks over there (some, but not all, are even concerned about weight!).

douglas girling
(dgirling) - F - M

Locale: Adirondacks
Adventure racer on 12/08/2007 06:25:38 MST Print View

Hi Kyle

Hennesey make an even lighter model called the Adventure Racer. The complete weight (hammock, bug screen, and tarp) is around 16oz. I use this model and love it. I don't know your weight / size, that may be a limiting factor. I'm 170 lbs 5'10" and fit with plenty room to spare. My 200 lb brother also used this briefly without any problems.
I think it would be hard to get lighter than this, unless you started cutting back on features.

cheers

doug

Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Re: Adventure racer on 12/08/2007 08:51:07 MST Print View

Doug,

I also saw that model, however I am 6'1" and that model is rated for someone who is 5'10". Are you saying that you think this model would work for someone who is taller than 5'10"?

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Ar is too short for you on 12/08/2007 12:37:00 MST Print View

Kyle,

The HHAR is too short for you at 6-1....you might get in it but you would not get very flat in the asym sweet spot... Take a good look at the HHELR... same size as the HHHL but lighter....Even that may be short for you... believe it says 6-0 for the HHELR

Pan

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Lightest Hammock on 12/08/2007 13:37:54 MST Print View

Heather's link didn't work for me so I am re-posting
My Cuben Hammock Thread

I have been told that it is to small, well I am not that big and it is fine for me. I am 6 foot tall and my weight range is from 150 to 155 pounds.

It is made to be as light as I could make it and still be more or less comfortable. It works well in both areas.

douglas girling
(dgirling) - F - M

Locale: Adirondacks
Re Adventure Racer on 12/09/2007 06:31:37 MST Print View

Kyle

You would fit in an adventure racer, but, as Jack pointed out, one of the features of the AR is it's asymetric shape that allows one to lie reasonably flat at an angle in the hammock. Your height would mean you would have to sleep more longitudinally in the hammock and less at an angle. So your height would technically "compromise" your position. I don't know if weight would be an issue for you. I can only speak from my experience I'm 5'10" and the AR is super comfortable (caveat, I sleep mostly on my side with knees bent) but it's still really comfortable when relaxing on my back. I'm sure HH wouldn't have a problem if you tried one (inside) and returned it if it didn't work out. Happy hunting.

doug

Jeff Boone
(jnboone) - MLife
6ft 200 lbs on 12/09/2007 21:29:37 MST Print View

Hennessey Hyperlite - I love it!!!

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
Re: New Hammock Info on 12/10/2007 09:40:18 MST Print View

First, check out hammockforums.net

Then specifically, note the super cool DIY "bridgeskin" http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2479

I want one.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Re: New Hammock Info on 12/10/2007 13:14:18 MST Print View

Wow... that bridgeskin is crazy cool...