Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ibex Shak hoodie or Icebreaker Nomad hoodie?
Display Avatars Sort By:
R C
(beenay25) - F

Locale: Midwest
Ibex Shak hoodie or Icebreaker Nomad hoodie? on 12/06/2007 21:23:22 MST Print View

I’m looking at a couple midweight merino hoodies. The Icebreaker Nomad and the Ibex hooded Shak. Anybody with experience with either one of these, your comments would definitely be appreciated!

I’ve only been able to see Icebreaker products in stores and from what I’ve seen, their garments don’t have the densest knit fabric even in their heavier sweaters. The BPL review of the Shak points out that it has a particularly dense weave. This seems like a big plus, as the shirt would therefore be warmer and more windproof. However, perhaps it would also take a longer time to dry than a less densly knit fabric?

A big downside to the hooded Shak for me is that it’s available in woman’s sizes only, and being that I’m not a woman, I think the fit would not be ideal as I have a slimmer than average waist even for men’s sizes. Maybe I could size up for adequate length and then take it to a place that does professional alterations. I’m not entirely familiar with the differences between woman’s- and men’s-specific clothing, though, and maybe alterations will turn out to be unnecessary?

If anybody can provide some experience that either supports or disproves my speculations about the Shak being warmer, but slower to dry, than the Nomad; or about the fit of the women’s hoodie being not ideal for a male torso, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, I’m not sure about how tight-fitting the Nomad’s hood is or how much face coverage it provides. Anybody know?

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
There's another M's Hoody to consider... on 12/07/2007 07:27:24 MST Print View

Huh... how do you like that? Ibex took down the Shak M's Hoody...

Part of the difference is that the Shak fabric is 390 g.m 2 whereas the Nomad is Sport 320 g.m 2... deliberately a more breathable knit than the Exp 320 g.m 2 that Icebreaker makes, if you really want dense look into their Outer series. Icebreaker intends the Sport to be midlayer...

Anyhow, I have the Nomad, it's REALLY nice. Pretty good on a chilly, mildly windy night even without a wind jacket. With a wind jacket (aka as a midlater as it's designed to be), it's warm.

Fit's pretty good, and the hood's fairly form fitting... better than I hear the M's Shak was but not as good as the Patagonia R1 Hoody.

If you really want a wind resistant M's hoody... check out the Icebreaker Conquest Hood as it's made out of Exp 320 g.m 2

Anyhow, just my two cents...

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Ibex Shak hoodie or Icebreaker Nomad hoodie? on 12/07/2007 07:57:36 MST Print View

I have the Conquest hoodie and have found it quite wind resistant and very warm. When I got it I wanted a little more warmth than the Nomad for everyday use, not just on the trail. It weighs 22oz in a large, which would also be very close to the Nomad weight.

Robert Devereux
(robdev) - F

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
Shak vs Nomad on 12/07/2007 08:27:04 MST Print View

Ibex says they'll offer a men's hoodie next winter, but they don't have anything now. I didn't want to wait, so I got a Nomad. I am happy with it.

It is not as dense as my non-hooded Shak, wind gets through it easily. Shaks can work as insulation or outerwear (in some condistions), but I only use the Nomad as insulation. For face coverage, fully zipped, the hood can cover my chin.

If you want something with more wind resistance, the Icebreaker Conquest is another option. I don't have direct experience, but the similar outerwear (Allstar Jacket) has been fairly wind resistant. It is considerably heavier though.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Ibex Shak hoodie or Icebreaker Nomad hoodie? on 12/07/2007 12:32:17 MST Print View

I don't have either hoodie but, I have both Ibex and Icebreaker products using the same fabrics as the Shak and Nomad. So, here is my take on the material.

Ibex has a rough, hard feel. The Icebreaker's feel makes you want to bury your face in it.

The weave on teh Ibex appears to be denser and is probably more durable, especially if you are going to treat it roughly. If you wanted to wear one to a cocktail party, I'd pick the Ibex as it tends to keep it's finish whereas the Icebreaker will start showing tiny nappy fuzz balls over time.

However, putting on the Icebreaker is like crawling into a WM down sleeping bag whereas the Ibex is more like curling up in an Army blanket. And, for the life of me, I can't figure out why Ibex embroiders their logo on with 50 lb. test fishing line that makes it impossible to wear next to skin.

So, like everything else in life, there are pros & cons but I hope you can gather enough information to make a decision that is right for your needs.

Edited by mad777 on 12/07/2007 12:33:51 MST.

R C
(beenay25) - F

Locale: Midwest
re: on 12/07/2007 13:09:01 MST Print View

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I guess I probably should be comparing the Conquest hoodie with the hooded Shak, but that full zipper is a major turn off for me--though I guess it shouldn't be as it provides improved venting for the relatively warmer garment. I think I kind of do like the more open weave of the Icebreaker 320 sport, for the same reason I like the open waffle pattern in my R1 hoodie. Added versatility--as long as it's used with a windshirt--and reduced weight over the denser fabric. The comment about the softness of the Icebreaker fabric is a good one. I have a shirt made of their superfine 190 merino and I practically live in the thing. In building a winter wool layering system where I may be wearing the hoodie next to my skin, I can definitely see the advantage that the softness factor would have.