Wst Highland Way national trail, Scotland
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Whalley
(thedanwhalley) - F

Locale: peakdistrict natonial park, UK
Wst Highland Way national trail, Scotland on 12/03/2007 06:46:22 MST Print View

Here are a few pics from my trip to scotland, walking the west highland way, around 120miles inc Ben nevis Via the Carn Mor Dearg arete, walked in 6 Days.
i used the Golite hut 2 shelter which is huge,and great for this sort of trip where the wee beasties can bite and you need to be zipped away!!

20 mins in!

Balmha, cragie fort

wet wet!

lock lomand

Wild camp with Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor

Stob Dearg

aproaching kinochleven

River crossing, aproaching carn mor gearg

Ben Nevis North Face

Aproaching the North Face via carn mor eret

Ben nevis summit

Edited by thedanwhalley on 12/06/2009 05:17:48 MST.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Wst Highland Way national trail, Scotland on 12/03/2007 08:05:26 MST Print View

Dan -

Thanks for the great photos! This month in Alpinist magazine there's a feature article on winter climbing on Ben Nevis so your photos ring right home in my mind fresh from last night's thorough read of the article. Is the little white shelter in one of the photos the C.I.C. hut by chance?

I especially like the photo of you sitting next to the campfire with your shelter pitched off to the side. I've always been partial to campsite photos.

Thanks,
Sam

Dan Whalley
(thedanwhalley) - F

Locale: peakdistrict natonial park, UK
cic hut on 12/03/2007 11:33:58 MST Print View

Cheers, I think the hut your talking about is a below a mountain called buachille etive mor, about25 miles south of ben nevis, its in the back ground of the wild camp pic, the cic hut is actually around 200m up from the river crossing, i crossed to join the carn mor dearg arete ridge walk which joins ben nevis, but the hut is the link to the north face crags.
There is a hut on the summit its the last of the meteorological observatory built in 1870 and is now a mountain rescue emergency shelter, its just behind the summit trig point,

This is the cic hut, we passed down stream! iv circled the hut because its tiny on the pic!

hut

Edited by thedanwhalley on 12/06/2009 05:19:20 MST.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Wst Highland Way national trail, Scotland on 12/03/2007 18:26:40 MST Print View

Wow, the CIC hut is definitely in a good location for summit attempts. Wow!

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Mountian Reflection on 12/04/2007 10:34:42 MST Print View

That's a beauty with the reflection of the mountain in the water...looks like you guys had a blast. I'm jealous.