Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Right Guard Stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Casey Cardwell
(Niles) - MLife

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon
Right Guard Stove on 11/29/2007 21:41:55 MST Print View

Here's a fun and easy little stove. It's made from this bottle from Walmart (or wherever):

Right Guard Bottle

To make it I made a couple cuts to take a center section out, popped out the spray mechanism, drilled a few side holes, then inverted the top and inserted it into the base.

Here's a picture of the flame pattern and the stove from a couple diff't perspectives:

Flame Pattern

The dirty] stove

Looking at the inside

If I was going to do it again, I'd definitely make it a bit smaller, and I'd add a few more holes. Right now there are 16.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
RE: Right Guard Stove on 11/29/2007 23:37:51 MST Print View

Casey,

certainly looks interesting!
Did you have any crazy gas expulsion when you first punctured the can?
What sort of performance are you getting out of it?
By the looks of it you are only using it as a pressurised side burner?

Adam

Casey Cardwell
(Niles) - MLife

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon
RG Stove on 11/30/2007 02:16:35 MST Print View

Hey Adam,

Yeah, only a pressurized side burner. And I'm actually not sure of how well it performs just yet. The only thing I've used it for so far is making a bunch of char cloth. I'll see if I can't get some specs on it tomorrow. I think it might actually have a problem with over heating...we'll see.

As for emptying the can, I wasn't brave enough to just puncture the thing so I sat with it for several long minutes while holding the button down...all the while apologizing to mother earth!

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
RG Stove on 11/30/2007 17:25:44 MST Print View

Yeah, I wouldnt be keen on puncturing a full can either-I can imagine that would be rather dangerous with an extreme amount of pressure release from a small hole, and or a flammably explosive situation!

You do have an idea though, using old deoderant cans and the like. I might see if I still have one or two at home. The cans are different to yours, but...

Jonathan Duckett
(Thunderhead) - F

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains
Re: Right Guard Stove on 12/08/2007 10:50:29 MST Print View

Have you tested this yet? it looks interesting.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
tapered top... on 12/10/2007 09:01:59 MST Print View

that tapered top looks like it would have made it easier to insert, no?