Forum Index » GEAR » Ultralight Outfitters Beer Can Stove System for Esbit Fuel

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Option for lifting a hot pot on 08/27/2005 22:14:36 MDT Print View

Titanium would be good because it's strong and yet springy. I may also try a heavy gauge stainless spoke (I can't get titanium spokes here... bike shops don't carry them). The coat hanger was just a first experiment... but after playing with bails and cozys and lip guards I've decided that this is the only way to go (for me). So now it's time to refine a bit. The coat hanger works great since it's so strong and springy. The last thing you want with a pot of scalding water cantelivered at the end of a grabber like that is for the grabber to fail. A heavy gauge spoke might work... but I don't know how much lighter it would be (if at all).

p.s. the fake 'livestrong' bracelet I got at my local dollar store melted... big time! Maybe it wasn't silicone.

Edited by davidlewis on 08/27/2005 22:15:17 MDT.

(Anonymous)
Nothing new under the esbit sun on 08/27/2005 22:50:30 MDT Print View

Hog On Ice and Stovestomper were using esbit stoves and heineken cans years ago. It's amazing to see how people freak out when someone makes a new esbit holder...haha.

David, that pot grabber looks dangerous. You will have to use a very tight grip to hold and pour the weight of two cups of water having only a couple millimeter lip to keep it from falling out. Be careful with that boiling water.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Nothing new under the esbit sun on 08/27/2005 22:59:53 MDT Print View

Trust me anon... it's rock solid. I don't have to use any grip stength at all... none... the grabber does the gripping with spring tension (see the way the back of the handle clips together... and see how far appart the ends are when unclipped... spring tension). I've held a full can of water with that thing (more than 2 cups) and bounced the can up and down... swung it to and fro... poured it out... filled it from the tap at full pressure... whatever... it doesn't budge at all... i cannot get it to fail... it's clamped on there tight as a vice... really. So far, I'd say it's far better than the other options I've tried... in terms of both function and safety. And I've tested it with hot water too.

As for nothing new... it's new to me... and I'm having fun "freaking out", experimenting, inventing and learning from others.

I might add, there are a lot of homemade alcohol and esbit solutions out there... but I don't see many complete kits (lid, pot, stand, windscreen, handle, stove/esbit holder) for 65 grams. This is just an experiement for me to see how light I can make a complete and very functional kit... and it's a lot of fun... in a weird, geeky inventor kind of way :P

Anyway, I'll stop posting for now until the design is completely finished and trail tested... probably in a week or so.

Cheers.

Edited by davidlewis on 08/27/2005 23:25:26 MDT.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Everything Old Becomes New Again on 08/28/2005 00:29:39 MDT Print View

Not to take any of the steam away from the stove inventors, but maybe you might want to check out: http://zenstoves.net/ or http://zenstoves.net/CanPots.htm

My personal homemade (but not original design) is a Hybrid Red Bull, Pressurized Side Burner, Jet Alcohol Stove. Note this stove doesn’t require a pre-heat disk

When finished the stove weighed in at 0.22 oz.

Add the Home Made Heineken Pot, Fuel Container Plastic (4 oz. Alcohol), Taco bell Plastic Spork, Home Made Pot Cover (Aluminum Foil), Home Made Wind Shield / Heat Reflector (Cut from a Turkey Broiling Tray), Pot Grabber (Commercial Available from MSR) and a Small Pot Scrubber.

The total weight of my kitchen (Minus Consumable, Alcohol Fuel) was less then 2.5oz.

I’d recommend anyone interested to build a alcohol can stove, it’s cheap, easy and fun…

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Everything Old Becomes New Again on 08/28/2005 00:56:44 MDT Print View

Hi Roger, Thanks for your imput. The Zen Stove site has been referenced several times on this thread and some other cook stuff related threads.

The total weight of your kitchen at 2.5oz is nice. For a hike of a couple days that might work for me or some of us. For a longer hike, say on the AT for many miles I have what I call my Luxury Kitchen Kit at just under 2 pounds. I want to eat something close to real food and bake a muffin at night if I feel like it and not just survive. I don't want to lose a lot of weight etc. I also don't want a lot of little stuff that isn't very strong and could break easy such as your Plastic Spork.

I do appreciate clever and you kitchen kit at 2.5oz is a clever grouping of things. However even with my 2 pound kitchen kit I am under the SUL 5 pound barrier.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Options for lifting a hot can on 08/28/2005 01:55:15 MDT Print View

David,

Great pot lifter. Love the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Short and Simple) aspect of your design. Beauty in simplicity. Very nice. Very clever. Good job.

Edited by pj on 08/28/2005 01:55:58 MDT.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Options for lifting a hot can on 08/28/2005 10:39:02 MDT Print View

David,

I really like your coat hanger pot grabber; can't wait to make one. Another solution I found is to cut a piece of blue foam to fit inside of your hand. The weight of the piece I cut is 5 grams.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Re: Options for lifting a hot can on 08/28/2005 11:48:36 MDT Print View

A few things about the lifter...

1. Make sure it's a fairly heavy gauge coat hanger... you need really good spring tension to get a good grip.

2. Make the handles narrower where they hook than where they meet the can. This will give you good tension on the can.

3. To make the hoop, use a soup can as a bending tool/guide

4. Make both hook ends full "U" shapes... one 90 degrees to the other... so they hook like a chain. The prototype just had an "L" shape for one of the hooks and it was possible to hit the end of the "L" with you hand and have the hook slip out.

5. You could make one to grip the can below the top bump in the can (just above the label) but my concern there is that you could have too much tension and deform / crimp / mildly crush the can enough so that the grabber might fail... and also wreck your can. I found that at the top of the can... just below the lip, I can ratchet that thing as tight as I want and it won't hurt the can... provided the hoop is a perfect circle.

6. Obvious... but test it with cold water first :)

I'll post a full write up in "make your own gear" when I get a chance... and I plan to trail test it this coming weekend. I may also make a bubble wrap foil cozy for simmer purposes... just like the anti-gravity gear cozys (i.e. for a "cook in the pot" meal... bring to a boil... attach the grabber... and transfer the pot from the stove to the cozy to simmer and keep warm).

Edited by davidlewis on 08/28/2005 12:13:35 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Options for lifting a hot can on 08/28/2005 12:04:04 MDT Print View

Ok... I know I said I was going to hold off on any more posts until I was completely done with the design... but since a few of you are already making can grabbers... I figured I should post the updated design. It's safer because of the way it hooks now (with two U shapes).

Notice how far apart the handle ends are when unhooked... makes for a very firm grip (lots of spring tension) when hooked:

Ends hook together like a chain:

Notice how I angled the end that hooks from above up a bit. I did that so that the two handles would be on the same plane with each other when hooked. That little angle up accounts for the thickness of the wire which otherwise would make the handles slightly askew from each other.

Edited by davidlewis on 08/28/2005 12:07:06 MDT.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Back to the original kit specs... on 08/28/2005 16:16:26 MDT Print View

I don't remember anyone mentioning it, but Arizona Iced Tea makes iced tea cans on 23.5 fl oz size, I think they are the same can as the fosters. So, for those of you who don't do alcohol and want a can that meets the original specs (as it seems from pics that the henie can prevents the slide-up to squelch flame technique) you might try the Arizona can.

Sunny Waller
(dancer) - M

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: UltraLight Outfitters Beer Can Cook pot Stove. on 08/29/2005 10:08:33 MDT Print View

Bill..I am SO glad you are better. I use to leap tall mountains with a single bound until I had a collision with a drunk driver. My boss gave me a jack russell pup that has made such a difference in my recovery. After 9 years I am back on the trail again because of light weight gear. Dave: Some of your remarks imply that you might be one of those creative ultralight gear inventor geeks :0 I resemble that remark. My friends call it "fiddiling" and I am only happy while doing it. I fiddled with that stove again and this time it melted my silicon ring that was up at the top :( I like this stove too much to quit..now if somebody can just tell me where I can find a metal coat hanger...

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Re: UltraLight Outfitters Beer Can Cook pot Stove. on 08/29/2005 10:13:29 MDT Print View

Sunny... I know eh?!?! It's crazy. You can't seem to buy metal coat hangers anymore... just plastic. I want to buy them regardless of my "inventing"... for my closet. The plastic ones take up way too much space. The ones I used were from my closet... left over from another era I guess. I imagine dry cleaners still use them, but they're probably really light and flimsy. I don't think I bicycle spoke would be strong enough... but maybe if it was really heavy gauge.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Even though it's expensive on 08/29/2005 13:48:47 MDT Print View

I think Bed Bath and Beyond has SS hangers.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Done! 2.18 oz. on 09/01/2005 18:33:46 MDT Print View

My Heineken stove is finally done. I just tested it with Esbit. I LOVE this stuff!!! It brought my water to a boil in half the time of my alcohol stove and once there, it kept the boil going for 4 mins! My alcohol stove often goes out just after reaching a boil... even with it's full fuel capacity (which is quite small). The soot is nasty... but I'll just scrub it off the pot and keep the esbit burning cup I made in a small zip lock. Alternately, I may use a second cut off lid for the burning cup as that would fit right to the bottom of the can. Oh... and the can grabber worked great!!! It was cool to the touch after boiling with the grabber in place. The heat seems more concentrated at the bottom with Esbit that with Alcohol... maybe... I don't know... but it was very cool to the touch.

Total system weight (weighed as a whole) is 61 grams, 2.18 oz... not counting the tent stakes. Here are the specs when I weigh each peice:

Pot: 27 grams
Pot Grabber: 13 grams
Windscreen / Stand: 10 grams
Burner Cup: 2 grams
Lid w/ handle: 6 grams
Elastic Band (for packing): 1 gram

It worked like an absolute charm. I love it. Much less fuss than alcohol too.

My only last addition may be to make a Reflectix cozy for simmering (off the stove) "cook in the pot" meals. Enertia has a number of great meals that require 4 mins. of boiling in the pot to cook... which works out perfect for a whole Esbit tab. Once the tab goes out, take the pot off the stove and set it inside the cozy to cook fast and well and stay nice and warm :)

I'll post pics and plans in a few days. Need to get ready for a trip this weekend.

Edited by davidlewis on 09/05/2005 16:05:02 MDT.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Best price for Good Cook Safe Cut can opener? on 09/07/2005 19:29:50 MDT Print View

SOOOOO, who's found the best price for the Safe Cut can opener?

Some folks have reported getting them at Walgreens ... but the Walgreens in our town are all saying "we used to carry it, but ..."

Kitchen Collections carries them and their retail stores here stock them but nearest one is a 40 mile round trip.

kitchen collections online store has them for $6.99 ... $13.79 with tax and shipping.

Anyone found a better source?

Edited by jcolten on 09/07/2005 19:31:24 MDT.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Best price for Good Cook Safe Cut can opener? on 09/07/2005 21:27:54 MDT Print View

Check the good cook website for places that sell it, because it seems to vary from state to state. Here in Washington Wallgreens does not carry them but Safeway stores do. Regular price is like 14 dollars or so but with a the Safeway card I got mine for under 10 dollars. It may have been on sale.

Hector Agdeppa
(flipside72) - F
Re: Best price for Good Cook Safe Cut can opener? on 09/08/2005 08:32:05 MDT Print View

I found the good cooks can opener (or a knock-off) at Target that works on the big Heini and Fosters cans for under 10 bucks.

Yukio Yamakawa
(JSBJSB) - F

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN
Re: Re: Beer Cans in Japan on 09/12/2005 07:17:29 MDT Print View

sss113007AA

1000cc缶の寸法
80Φ 200mm高さ
高さを切り詰める場合には、重ねると丈夫になるので
下記を参考に、加工してください。

http://ikaros.air-nifty.com/ikaros/images/2dannstove3_thumb.jpg

外側になる缶を、あぶって、変色するぐらいにトーチで加熱する。
重なる両面にバター(叉は マーガリン)を塗る。
サンドイッチみたいに、2枚の板に挟んで、軽く数回に分けて叩く。
名付けて
Torch and  Butter  (トーチ アンド バター)

Yukio Yamakawa
(JSBJSB) - F

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN
Re: Re: Re: Beer Cans in Japan on 09/14/2005 10:08:05 MDT Print View

http://www.th21.jp/bbs/jsbjsb/thumbnail/jsbjsb_216864999.jpg?050711

hight=120mm
about 500cc

John austin
(tinny) - F
Re: Back to the original kit specs... on 09/17/2005 10:12:16 MDT Print View

Arizona ice tea cans are taller and narrower and made with thinner metal--quite flimsey. heineken is thoughest