one correction to the example of an active hyperlink. you need to end the anchor using the standard HTML tag ending format, viz.
it consists of the following sequence of characters without the commas or spaces separating them:
<, /, a, > - you use the 'a' in this case since it's an "anchor". likewise, you would use a 'b' if you were making it bold.
the best way to learn how to do this is to:
1) find a hyperlink in a post.
2) make a note of some or all of the text of the hyperlink
3) using your browser's View->Page Source pull-down menu choice (note: the wording of this menu choice may vary depending upon which Browser you're using, but you're clever and will figure this out i'm sure)
4) search the page source text for the text of the hyperlink that you noted in step #2 above.
5) look carefully how that hyperlink was implemented - copy it & paste it into your message (note: you may need to use the ctrl-c and ctrl-v key combos to do the copy and paste AFTER selecting/marking, using the mouse, the Anchor text that you want to copy. also, the context sensitive short-cut menu may be active. if it is, then you can just select the Anchor & use your secondary mouse button - if using Windows. Not sure how you do all this on a Mac)
6) modify the URL or address portion of the 'anchor' (the part between the dbl-quote)
7) modify the text that will be displayed, e.g. change it from >My Hyperlink to >Bill's Hyperlink, or some such text as appropriate.
Hope this helps.