Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Help! My supplier just ran out - where do I pick up a Coleman Exponent Xtreme at a decent price?
Display Avatars Sort By:
E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Help! My supplier just ran out - where do I pick up a Coleman Exponent Xtreme at a decent price? on 11/19/2007 21:04:18 MST Print View

Campmor had these at $49 only a week ago - now they are gone! Anyone know where I can pick one up at a comparable good price? I've seen some retailers selling these at $70-90 a pop.

Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
55.95$ on 11/19/2007 22:20:05 MST Print View

http://store.tentsandbackpacks.com/9720-725.html

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
coleman exponent on 11/19/2007 22:49:20 MST Print View

looks like they don't have any in stock either. Coleman is coming out with a new version, although it is 3oz heavier.

E.J.,Look at it this way, I've got to explain to my wife why I just bought another stove, you don't have that problem

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: coleman exponent on 11/20/2007 07:16:30 MST Print View

Has is been confirmed yet that the Powermax fuel is being phased out? It's certainly becoming very very difficult to find. If this is the case, it might explain why the stoves are dissapearing too. The conversion kit is available for using alternative fuel.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Coleman Exponent Xtreme on 11/20/2007 09:10:40 MST Print View

I called Coleman and they confirmed that the different stoves that used the PowerMax canisters have been discontinued. I told them how sorry I was to hear that.

I am glad I have 3 of the Xtreme version of the stove, 11 big canisters and 1 of the small canisters.

I also have 3 of the adapters to use with a regular canister.

I will have to search for more PowerMax canisters and see what I can find.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: canisters on 11/20/2007 09:29:41 MST Print View

How difficult of a time are you guys having finding the canisters? I've nevr looked for them, but the outfitters by my place has lots of the large canisters (no small ones though) and a few stoves. They didn't say they were being discontinued when I inquired, but I suspect he had no idea either way.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

PowerMax Canister not discontinued on 11/20/2007 09:56:37 MST Print View

I guess I was having a "gray hair" moment.

I called back and asked about the PowerMax Canister. The PowerMax Canister is not being discontinued.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: canisters on 11/20/2007 10:53:26 MST Print View

The only place I know of locally is REI, which typically carries the small ones. Come to think of it, does Coleman even make the large canisters any longer?

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: PowerMax Canister not discontinued on 11/20/2007 11:00:01 MST Print View

Other Grey Hair Moments Occurring?

Without it you run out of fuel
By J.Hill from Germany on 9/10/2007
Pros:Compact, Easy to Use, Functional, Lightweight
Cons:to much plastic
Best Uses:Backcountry Camping, River, Survival, Winter Camping
Describe Yourself:Avid Adventurer
Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
You will need this item when there are no original canisters, either outside US or in the near future, when these original coleman canisters are not sold any more

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Coleman Exponent Xtreme? on 11/20/2007 11:07:31 MST Print View

I want to confirm:

Are the Powermax stoves being phased out by Coleman or not?

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Powermax cannisters on 11/20/2007 11:48:48 MST Print View

If Bill called the company, it seems they are still being made. Coleman is making a new version of the exponent (can't remember the name, but it's on their website) that uses the powermax cannister, so I'd assume that they'll still be available.

Doug, I saw a bunch at the Seattle REI, so if you're nervous, and I'm wrong, go snatch some up (but leave me one or two, eh?)

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

ALL- Coleman PowerMax Stoves Discontinued on 11/20/2007 13:51:42 MST Print View

At one time Coleman make three stoves that used the PowerMax Canister. They made two - one burner stoves and one - two burner stove. The picture on the Coleman web site is of the (heavier) of the two - one burner stoves. IT IS NOT A NEW STOVE - AND - IT IS ALSO GONE!!!!
Coleman has stopped making all of them and the CS person I talked to said they have NO inventory of any of the 3.

Coleman will continue to make and sell the PowerMax Canister. When asked for how long all she could say is they have no plans to stop making it.

I have been buying the large canister here in San Antonio at a local Sportsmans Warehouse. I just called them and they have both the Xtreme stove and the large canisters. The large canister sells here for $3.6?? something. Next time I go near the store I will stop and see how many xtreme's they have in stock

I might buy a few more to put on my "Phase One" diet.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Re: ALL- Coleman PowerMax Stoves Discontinued on 11/20/2007 14:26:02 MST Print View

Since I needed a more up to date winter stove, and with the Powermax future being so cloudy, I ordered a Coleman EXP Fyrestorm Titanium Stove this afternoon. Reports on BPL indicated that in canister mode it should work down to -10F, and below that it still has the white gas option.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

To Xtreme or not to Xtreme? on 11/20/2007 14:53:21 MST Print View

Does it seem like it's likely these PowerMax cartridges will no longer be produced? Do all of you have the adapter kit for other fuel bottles? How much weight does it add and how much does it cost?

Bill, does the Sportsman's Warehouse carry the Xtreme stoves? How much are they? Do they sell online?

John, how much was your Coleman EXP Fyrestorm Titanium Stove and where did you get it from? If I remember correctly that stove didn't offer as much of a weight savings as it could have because of some adapter stand that was needed. Perhaps I'm confusing it with another stove.

Also, do you recommend getting the Coleman Exponent Xtreme repair kit ($8-15) which has replacement nuts, gaskets, etc. and a wrench made to fit the stove.

Edited by mountainwalker on 11/20/2007 14:54:31 MST.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Re: To Xtreme or not to Xtreme? on 11/20/2007 15:39:24 MST Print View

I bought the Coleman EXP Fyrestorm Titanium Stove from REI with the $25 off coupon currently available... code WMPRT7. Still expensive at $155, but it did include both the tripod and adapter as well as the alternate fuel bottle and adapter. Stuff sack, aluminum windscreen and heat reflector are also included. Weight of the stove and tripod for canister use is 11oz.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

advantages? on 11/20/2007 15:49:40 MST Print View

John, what are the main advantages to that stove over the Xtreme?

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Re: advantages? on 11/20/2007 16:08:22 MST Print View

The only real advantages are the easy to find Coleman 70/30 fuel canisters it uses and the white gas option. No, it's probably not worth the $$$ difference, but the completeness of it as a lighyweight unit hooked me.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

how can I be extreme without an Xtreme? Where to find one? on 11/20/2007 16:14:22 MST Print View

3 of 4 places I tried are out of stock. I'm back at my first question - anyone know where to find one at a decent price? I'm still waiting to hear back from one of the 4 places I contacted.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
soon available on ebay as a collector's item on 11/20/2007 16:28:29 MST Print View

Looks like the Xtreme is officially kaput, alright.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/newsrelease.asp?releasenum=289

I was just now able to add an Xpert to my cart on the Coleman Web site, but I didn't buy it so it can now be yours(!) They're still stocking the 2-burner Xponent. I imagine both are whatever's left in the warehouse. The Max adapter should be available for awhile, but I suspect it erases any weight advantage the Xtreme might otherwise have.

The series lasted ten years, and not many bits of backpacking gear can claim that.

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Already on ebay, for 80$ on 11/20/2007 16:41:44 MST Print View

Saw an exponent extreme the other day when I was shopping around. Glad I pulled the trigger on the one I found at moontrail.

If coleman keeps producing the cartridges, you won't need the adaptor for a while, although I might pick one up, just to be safe.

On a tangential note, doesn't it seem like when the ultralight community really likes something that a mainstream company produces, they stop making it?

Maybe that's just my persecution complex talking.