Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight Lanterns - any favorites?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Vaillancourt
(GSV45) - F

Locale: Utah
Lightweight Lanterns - any favorites? on 11/17/2007 19:31:46 MST Print View

http://candlelantern.com/mini.html

Now that the days are shorter I'm considering an UCO Mini candle lantern. 4 ounces & it burns standard tea candles.

11 dollars. Seems like it should be a nice addition to a camp when a fire isn't appropriate. Light output is probably very low but I see it as a supplement to the headlamp.

The Brunton LED lantern weighs the same but costs more and requires batteries. I also imagine the UCO lanterns produce a warmer light than the LEDs bluish output.
What do you use?

Tommy Clapp
(TCXJWAGONEER) - F

Locale: GSM Area
MBD water light on 11/17/2007 19:34:19 MST Print View

I use a minibulldesigns water light. I don't think he sells them anymore but you can make them really easy. It is light and holds extra fuel bottle for my stove.

Tommy

Margaret Snyder
(jetcash) - F

Locale: Southern Arizona
Lantern on 11/17/2007 19:59:26 MST Print View

http://www.rei.com/product/743073?vcat=REI_SEARCH

I always thought these were kinda lame but it only weighs 3.25 oz. and if your carrying a nalgene anyway . . .

Firefly Bottle Lantern

Edited by jetcash on 11/17/2007 20:01:02 MST.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: Lightweight Lanterns - any favorites? on 11/17/2007 20:20:44 MST Print View

I also enjoy a candle lantern in the winter. It 'seems' (I have to qualify this because there are so many science geeks out there) to add warmth and reduce condensation in the tent. It's a nice, warm light to have when settling in and sipping my hot buttered rum. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Lightweight Lanterns - any favorites? on 11/17/2007 21:13:49 MST Print View

These days it's an LED lamp with lithium batteries. Light. Reliable. Longer run time / oz than any other option.

For years I like an "Ultra Candle" which was constructed a lot loke a candle lantern, but burned a clear oil through a wick. My memory was that I got something like 16 hours from a 4oz? system. Don't know where to still get these.

If you want a LOT of light then one of the compact gas lanterns is the way to go. I tried one of the burton mantelless lanterns... skip it. Quality of light was poor given the weight of the system.

--mark

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "Lightweight Lanterns - any favorites?" on 11/17/2007 21:22:13 MST Print View

"These days it's an LED lamp with lithium batteries. Light. Reliable. Longer run time / oz than any other option."

Mark, Mark, Mark,
Totally without ambience. How can you sip a hot buttered rum (or brandy) by lithium light?!
;-)

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Mini Lantern... on 11/18/2007 01:34:07 MST Print View

I rarely carry a lantern, I prefer my LED (Pelican VB3 LED) for area light. I also have a Primus Easy Light lantern that I occasionally take when it gets dark really early but it's quite heavy (6 oz.). It uses the same gas canister as my stove and cranks out up to 70 Watts of light which is really great when you set up after dark (as long as the temp stays above freezing). If you turn it down really low when you need less light, it uses very little fuel. Primus makes the same lantern with a stainless steel globe (Primus Micron) and it weighs in at just over 4 ounces, so that might be a good choice if you already carry a gas can. Both lanterns have a built in piezo igniter that works really well. I tried one of the high end "mantle-free" lanterns but I returned it because the light quality was terrible.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: "Lightweight Lanterns - any favorites?" on 11/18/2007 01:48:41 MST Print View

PP

> Totally without ambience. How can you sip a hot buttered rum (or brandy) by lithium light?!
If you don't know how to sip hot buttered rum, I can't help you... :-)