November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
looking for safe hydration tubing
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elleyne Beals
(tahomus) - M

Locale: Not usually at home.
looking for safe hydration tubing on 11/11/2007 10:06:10 MST Print View

i am looking for replacement hydration tubing. i have been using clear "non-toxic" tubing from the hardware store, but it keeps developing a white powder on the inside. despite it's "non-toxic" labeling, i'm wary of using it anymore. we use our water sacks 200+ days per year, so purity is an issue.
i bought some silicone tubing from mcmaster's (as recommended on this form for water filtration system), but it fails as a hydration sack tubing, because it collapses when making the 180* bend out of the backpack. it's also soft and was abraded by the pack where the tubing went across the barbs of the cap fitting.
i looked around the mcmaster's site and they have many types of tubing, but i can't figure out the right type for water, and the right stiffness so it won't collapse. anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Andrew Richard
(fairweather8588) - F

Locale: The Desert
food grade tubing on 11/11/2007 10:45:32 MST Print View

HomeDepot/Lowe's usually sells "food grade" tubing. I used 1/4 size to make a kegerator, and the same pliable tubing will work in your system. It can be purchased by the foot.