Dyneema availibility
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Parsons
(EricP) - F

Locale: Alaska
Dyneema availibility on 11/06/2007 16:37:39 MST Print View

Does anyone know of a good source now to buy 210d dyneema gridstop?

OWF stopped carrying it basically saying that the military is buying it all up.. seriously.

anyone got a source?

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
dyneema on 11/06/2007 16:43:25 MST Print View

No but let me know if you find one. it's been out of stock for a little while now.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Dyneema availibility on 11/08/2007 08:51:24 MST Print View

Have you called Seattle Fabrics? Last time I was there they had a couple rolls.

It may well be true that it is being bought up though, that would make sense.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Dyneema availibility on 11/08/2007 09:20:14 MST Print View

The patriot act was one thing, but they can't seriously be buying all the dyneema!!!

If someone is 35, i would support their presidency under the "a dyneema backpack in every gear closet" campaign slogan. any takers?

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
No Dyneema at Seattle Fabrics on 11/08/2007 09:46:19 MST Print View

I was at Seattle Fabrics on Tuesday and asked about Dyneema and eVent fabric. They'd never heard of either one. Maybe when the military buys it they also do a memory flush?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: No Dyneema at Seattle Fabrics on 11/08/2007 17:06:06 MST Print View

That is weird....because they had it last time I was there. Wonder if it was someone who didn't know their fabrics? Or who hadn't seen it before?

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Dyneema availibility on 11/08/2007 17:19:40 MST Print View

Thruhiker.com has gridstop.

Frank Deland
(rambler) - M

Locale: On the AT in VA
Dyneema cordage? on 11/08/2007 21:10:49 MST Print View

The only Dyneema I've heard of is sold here as a light line for hanging a bear bag.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Dyneema availibility on 11/08/2007 21:13:34 MST Print View

Thru hiker has it now? THey used to have it but it's no longer on the website.

Eric Parsons
(EricP) - F

Re: Dyneema cordage? on 11/09/2007 15:48:47 MST Print View

no - the 210d fabric, its the Stuff Ula uses and Go-lite used to use. The dyneema is just the reinforcing grid in the fabric, its really nice material to work with.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Spectra fabric on 11/11/2007 14:06:55 MST Print View

Hi Eric,

check out:

http://tinyurl.com/2ctkqw

for an ebay auction for spectra(aka dyneema) 3.6 oz fabric. Even if this particular auction is over by the time you check, just search spectra fabric on ebay, as this guy usually has some up there. It's not grid stop, but it's the closest I've seen and it's not super heavy. Note: the auction price is per 10 linear inches so this stuff isn't cheap.

Edited by sharalds on 11/11/2007 18:06:10 MST.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Dyneema availibility on 11/11/2007 17:33:59 MST Print View

Hi Eric,

How much do you need and what do you want to do with it?

Thanks.
Bill

Eric Parsons
(EricP) - F

ebay on 11/13/2007 16:28:25 MST Print View

Hey Devin,
Thanks for the link - actually that is cheap for 100% spectra fabric.
I asked Dan Mchale once if I could buy some of his 100% dyneema from him and he quoted me $120 a yard... !woah!

Bill, thanks but I'm looking for a bunch (10yds maybe) for future projects and to sell some things.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Dyneema availibility on 11/13/2007 16:54:58 MST Print View

Cilogear might be worth contacting also. He produces a 45 liter pack made almost solely out of woven Dyneema for the low, low price of only $675.

dyneema [at] cilogear.com
http://www.cilogear.com/

Edited by sharalds on 11/13/2007 17:04:47 MST.

Eric Parsons
(EricP) - F

clo on 11/14/2007 11:38:39 MST Print View

Those are nice climbing packs for sure.
But working with $120 yd fabric is out of my league right now. I had hard enough time cutting into $30/yd goretex xcr.

Graham Williams
(crackers) - F
Re: clo on 11/16/2007 02:44:56 MST Print View

>Those are nice climbing packs for sure.

Thanks. And thanks for the linkage above.

The material is crazy. But, it's $120 a yard...it's insane, but the packs are really incredibly durable, and lighter than if I made them with a 210 cordura with a dyneema ripstop. And the material is 200psi waterproof.

I can't promise anything, but you might well see the 210d cordura with the dyneema ripstop available by spring again. I don't think it will be widely available, but I'll let you know if it happens.

The availability (or lack thereof) of the 210d cordura with dyneema ripstop had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the military. Who ever is saying that either doesn't know what they're talking about, or is blaming the military because they felt like it was convenient to blame the military for anything they didn't like.

I work pretty closely with DSM, and they have plenty production lines in North Carolina dedicated to the civilian market. There is plenty of Dyneema available right now.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Dyneema availibility? on 05/13/2008 21:35:29 MDT Print View

has anyone found a source? It shouldnt be expensive as I can buy 500D spectra from rockywoods for $16/yd.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Dyneema availibility? on 05/13/2008 21:53:01 MDT Print View

The 500d spectra you're talking about is only spectra fibers strengthening the fabric. The stuff crackers is talking about is full spectra/dyneema. Way more $$$.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Dyneema availibility? on 05/13/2008 22:23:32 MDT Print View

Christopher, what I am looking for is 210d dyneema gridstop that ULA and Golite uses. Not full dyneema.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Dyneema availibility? on 05/14/2008 07:12:24 MDT Print View

Ah gottcha. That stuff has been out of stock for a while now ;( Eventually I suspect it will come back.