Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Easy Question about an Easy Project
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
Easy Question about an Easy Project on 11/05/2007 13:02:26 MST Print View

I am making a pot cozy and was wondering if anyone knows if Elmer's rubber cement will hold up to the temps that the pot will put on the cozy. If not, what are some other good alternatives...duct tape?

john flanagan
(jackfl) - F

Locale: New England
gluing cozies on 11/05/2007 14:58:08 MST Print View

Don't know about rubber cement...contact cement certainly will. As will duct tape. If you make them out of that reflective bubble wrap, there is an aluminum foil tape specifically for that product which works extremely well.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Easy Question about an Easy Project on 11/05/2007 16:41:53 MST Print View

The cozy will not have to handle temperatures above the working limits of most household contact cements. Elmer's contact cement will probably work. Duco household contact cement and Barges certainly will because I have used them for years with no failures.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Easy Question about an Easy Project on 11/05/2007 16:49:42 MST Print View

You don't say what cozy material you're using. If neoprene, then you can use neoprene cement, which will definitely be up to the task.

FWIW rubber cement is quite weak. The suggested contact cement is quite strong, but I always make a huge mess when I use it!

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/neoprene.html

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
hi temp tape on 11/06/2007 14:05:04 MST Print View

Electrical tape can take a bit of heat, IIRC

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
pot cozy tape on 11/06/2007 14:22:57 MST Print View

What material are you using? Reflectex?

The tape will most likely be on the outside where it won't be susceptible to very much heat. The point of the cozy, yes? I'm sure you can take your pick of adhesives and tape materials. Metal Tape is heavy and the application in this neck of the woods is for high heat applications, e.g. sealing your Pepsi Stove. I used duct tape on my cozies, but I'm positive even that's overkill.

-Michael

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Easy Question about an Easy Project on 11/06/2007 17:32:08 MST Print View

I believe rubber cement is quite flammable. Perhaps some of the Reflectix foil tape might work.

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Easy Question about an Easy Project on 11/07/2007 04:22:51 MST Print View

There is a heat tape that is very thin and light I've found sold right next to Reflectix in our local hardware store. This topic was discussed recently. There's a photo there of a cozy I've made using Reflectix and this tape.

Making a cozy is a very easy project.