Sleeping bag temp.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Clayton
(kclayton) - F

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Sleeping bag temp. on 11/03/2007 16:30:08 MDT Print View

What degree sleeping bag would anyone suggest for the PCT next summer? Approximate start date is may 20 2008. Right now I think I am going to go with the Montbell ss down hugger. but #4 or #5? 35 or 40 degree. I have no experience with deserts.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Sleeping bag temp. on 11/03/2007 17:22:13 MDT Print View

hey kevin,

montbell bags are great, I definately recomend them. to determine which bag you will want to take, It really depends on the other gear you are taking..

are you bringing a tent or a tarp? what other clothing will you be bringing? what kind of sleeping pad will you be bringing? do you want to use the same bag for your entire thru hike? or do you plan on mailing yourself a warmer bag for the sierras and for the finish?

Im always excited to hear when people are planning for a thru-hike, I would recomend posting a gearlist, so people can make recomendations.
this always helps me when planing for a trip.

Edited by ryanf on 11/03/2007 17:24:13 MDT.

Kevin Clayton
(kclayton) - F

other gear on 11/03/2007 19:59:54 MDT Print View

I am going to be carrying the tarptent contrail for shelter. and the Prolite 3 small length sleeping pad.
I have not worked out light weight clothing insulation options yet. to save money I might stick with a jacket I have from Hind that has worked well through the years. any suggestions here will also be appreciated.

I plan on sending my 15 degree bag at the end of the trip.

Edited by kclayton on 11/03/2007 20:26:51 MDT.

Kyle Rosenberger
(kyler55) - F

Clothing on 11/06/2007 00:35:43 MST Print View

Kevin,

You want to wear your clothing while you sleep to get away with a lighter bag. Skurka always does this and I find it appropriate as well.

I recommend some of the Mont Bell UL down and synthetic stuff for clothing. These are quite light, a good price and high quality. Patagonia micro puff stuff is good but they changed the insulation and it is heavier so I don't reccomend that.

I also recommend a windshirt, these add a lot of warmth and weigh near to nothing. Also check out the Integral Designs PLQ jacket and the Rab Generator jacket on ProLite.

- Kyle