What magazines do you all subscribe to?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/02/2007 10:50:25 MDT Print View

Hey all,

I'm curious as to what kinds of magazines you all subscribe to. Obviously BPL will be popular, but what others? Any other outdoor magazines you enjoy?

I love National Georgraphic myself! Though it isn't on outdoor technique or the like, it certainly inspires me to get out there and see things!

Edited by arichardson6 on 11/02/2007 10:52:28 MDT.

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/02/2007 11:16:35 MDT Print View

I read three:
- BPL online
- National Georgraphic (hand me down subscription)
- Arizona Highways (hand me down subscription)

I subscribed to the Economist for world events but got to the point where I didn't make the time to read it cover to cover so I stopped. Really good articles and funny comments, e.g. "the only thing Newt Gingrich and his sister have in common is the need for a more flattering haircut."

Edited by pappekak on 11/02/2007 11:17:45 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/02/2007 14:18:40 MDT Print View

None, because I'm tired of paper in my house. I'd rather stay digital with my reading. I only get the work related journal(s).

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/02/2007 14:53:13 MDT Print View

I don't get any print magazines anymore. I used to get Sports Illustrated and Missouri Conservationist. I slowly stopped reading them and let the subscriptions lapse. The only thing I subscribe to anymore is BPL. I prefer to read my articles online because my place gets cluttered too easily. Even the magazines that come with orders from REI, Campmor, et al, lay around here forever before I finally get rid of them. I prefer to read articles online anyway, since I spend a lot of my day in front of a computer. Its much more convenient for me.

Adam

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/02/2007 17:58:49 MDT Print View

BackpackingLight
Backpacker
Mountain Bike Action
National Geographic Adventure

Too many, really. But I don't get the paper!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/02/2007 21:34:18 MDT Print View

Backpacker
the Women's one that is slipping my mind
Washington Trail Association's magazine

and whatever catches my eyes at Fry's...when I am waiting for my husband!

I need to sub up to BPL.

Donald Segretti
(Dick-Nixon-in-72) - F
Re: Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/02/2007 21:52:34 MDT Print View

The Economist
Sports Illustrated
Consumer Reports
Playboy (for the articles)
American Rifleman
Curve
New American
The Liberal
An-Noujoum

Theodore Hall
(Bohican) - F
Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/02/2007 23:52:47 MDT Print View

BPL
American Rifleman
Outside
local paper

The last 2 are new subscriptions. From this week. I guess I over empathize with college age kids saying they need money for school. I think I've been able to force down a case of ramen since I got out of school many moons ago. I really hope I can renew my taste for the stuff prior to my thru hike.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/03/2007 08:56:44 MDT Print View

How do those of you that subscribe to backpacker enjoy it? I've heard that it isn't always the best information...Do you all find it a nice magazine to read? Are the articles of any worth besides being entertaining?

Kyle Rosenberger
(kyler55) - F

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Backpacker Magazine on 11/03/2007 13:15:46 MDT Print View

Not a big fan of backpacker. Some articles are interesting but some of it seems lame. They occasionally review so called UL gear but I think their testers and editors still can't get into the UL thing they always seem to want to carry 1.5 LB self inflating pads for so called UL tests. And want to bring piles and piles of gear with them. This may interest some bt not me.

Shahrin Bin Shariff
(zzmelayu) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Table Mountain
"What magazines do you all subscribe to?" on 11/03/2007 14:37:18 MDT Print View

None.
No paper subscription now.
All online.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
"What magazines do you all subscribe to?" on 11/03/2007 22:33:01 MDT Print View

BPL
Wooden Boat
Smithsonian
TGO (Scotland)
Pacific Crest Trail Communicator
Still pick up a Backpacker once in a great while, but pan it most of the time.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "What magazines do you all subscribe to?" on 11/03/2007 22:40:58 MDT Print View

I hadn't planned to answer, but based on the answers thus far, okay.
BPL
Backpacker
Sea Kayaker
National Geograhic Adventurer
Outside

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Backpacker Magazine on 11/03/2007 23:29:01 MDT Print View

With AIM buying BP from Rodale there has been a noticable shift - and it has been good.
I quit reading it for nearly 3 years, and in the past months have started reading it again. And enjoying it!

Btw, as for magazines....well, I forgot to add that we usually use our airline miles for free magazines. I have like 20 magazines coming currently, plus the Wall St. Journal 6 days a wekk...for free. I read them all, and ya know, I actually am learning something from the Journal. Like how many 4 million dollar ranches are for sale in WY ;-) Hehheh!!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: "What magazines do you all subscribe to?" on 11/04/2007 13:47:54 MST Print View

I've been listening to the TGO podcasts and followed the TGO Challange. How is the TGO magazine?

I used to subscribe to Backpacker, but got discouraged. However, I'm still tempted occasionally when I'm at the airport.

BPL
Smithsonian
Backpacker (occasionally)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/04/2007 17:07:49 MST Print View

BackpackingLight
Wooden Boat
TGO (From Scotland)
New Yorker
Lens Works

Robert Devereux
(robdev) - F

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
Re: What magazines do you all subscribe to? on 11/05/2007 07:06:41 MST Print View

National Geographic Adventure
Men's Journal

I occasionally pick up issues of Outside or Wend, depending on the contents of the issue.

I didn't enjoy Backpacker. I always wanted more depth out of the articles. That's a problem I have with most magazines, but at least Men's Journal and Outside give me a bit of the depth I want, mixed in with the lighter pieces.

When I was packpacking in Australia, I picked up The Economist every week when I was in a town. It was a great way to keep up with the news. Now that I'm in front a computer all day, I get news online so I stopped getting The Economist.

John Mowery
(Mow) - F

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Magazines on 11/05/2007 10:13:42 MST Print View

BPL
Backpacker
Audubon
High Country News - excellent environmental news
Economist

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
magazines on 11/05/2007 12:09:27 MST Print View

bpl, backpacker, climb[uk], alpinist, climbing, rock and ice, velo news, fingerstyle guitar, esquire, imagine fx[uk], guitar technique[uk],justapoz,trail runner, funny times, road, dirt rag, dirty linen ....aren't cha glad you asked.

Ryan Corder
(demo) - MLife

Locale: Arkansan in Seattle
magazines on 11/24/2007 00:14:02 MST Print View

I've switched almost entirely to quarterlies only. For one, they come less often so less wasted paper, but in addition the content seems to be of higher quality. So...

2600 Quarterly
Make Magazine
Archeology Magazine

anything else I require to have an online edition.