Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best Poncho/Shelter Design
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
Best Poncho/Shelter Design on 10/30/2007 14:45:44 MDT Print View

I have been looking for a poncho to either make or buy that gives plenty of coverage, is light, and I would also like for it to have room to double as a pack cover (triple as a pack cover if you count it being shelter also). All ideas will be helpful, and I look forward to hearing everyone's insights.

Thanks all,
Kyle

Peter McDonough
(crazypete) - F

Locale: Above the Divided Line
Gatewood Cape on 10/30/2007 15:59:03 MDT Print View

www.sixmoonsdesigns.com sells the gatewood cape, which would be perfect for your needs.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
poncho tarp on 10/30/2007 16:00:36 MDT Print View

Linkage:
mountain laurel designs
exped
integral designs

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "Best Poncho/Shelter Design" on 10/30/2007 17:36:58 MDT Print View

I have the GoLite poncho/tarp and really like it.

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
campmor "makes" a poncho tarp. on 10/30/2007 17:56:06 MDT Print View

campmor has one too. look for the "extension" one. I have never seen one.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: campmor "makes" a poncho tarp. on 10/30/2007 17:58:12 MDT Print View

I have one; it's actually an Equinox.

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Locale: Southwest GA
Re: Gatewood Cape on 10/30/2007 19:34:17 MDT Print View

I've got a Gatewood Cape, and they're awesome. All the advantages of a poncho/tarp, but with more overall protection (though less ventilation), all in an 11 ounce package. Got to love that :D

Tom

Gene Kinney
(carl_kinney) - F

Locale: Southwest
Sea to Summit PonchoTarp is a good choice on 10/30/2007 20:08:26 MDT Print View

I have and like the Sea to Summit PonchoTarp. It weighs 11.5oz without the little stuff sack that comes with it.
I actually stuff the thing in the hipbelt of my Mariposa Plus pack.
It does great triple duty as an emergency shelter (A-frame), pack cover and rain poncho.
I have yet to use as a primary shelter in a lean-to pitch but I will try it out next year in the summer.
I always hated the clammy feeling of a rain jacket. And the ponchoTarp with its open sides with button snaps I don't get that feeling.
Only downside is the weight of course. I would like to make my own someday with half the weight.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: "Best Poncho/Shelter Design" on 10/31/2007 13:06:18 MDT Print View

the Six moon designs gatewood cape looks like an excellent shelter, full coverage shelter and packcover/raingear, but I have not bought one, because I like having multiple pitching options.
my recomendations would be either the Integral designs sil poncho, or the golite poncho tarp. both companies make excellent products. The golite is a little longer, and narrower.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Best Poncho/Shelter Design on 11/07/2007 10:44:47 MST Print View

most any poncho 8 ft or more will work for a shelter/pack cover. I made a copy of the MLD pro poncho, and it provides better pack coverage than regular ponchos because it is wider in the back. it also works better as a shelter than regular ponchos because it gives you more room at the head and tapers to the foot. I would highly recommend it as the best poncho.

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Best Poncho/Shelter Design on 11/07/2007 10:55:29 MST Print View

I am partial to the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape. The nice thing about the cape is there is no need for a bivy in inclement weather. Pitch all the way to the ground and you are set.

GWRocky

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
Nice photo on 11/08/2007 15:27:41 MST Print View

Has BPL ever done a group test of ponchotarps?
You know, get a few people and do an overnighter in less than perfect weather using ponchotarp systems. I would be interested in a thorough back-to-back test of these products in real (wet windy bush) conditions.

Ron Moak
(rmoak) - F
Poncho Tarp comparison on 11/08/2007 16:28:04 MST Print View

Andrew,

You can see a real world comparison on this website at The Poncho Tarp: Techniques and Gear Systems for Inclement Conditions .

I think this one does require membership to read.

Ron

Edited by rmoak on 11/08/2007 16:35:58 MST.

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
Thanks Ron on 11/09/2007 04:55:52 MST Print View

This is a great help - I looked in the wrong place.