Forum Index » Chaff » Thanks Mom

Display Avatars Sort By:
Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Locale: pugetropolis
Thanks Mom on 10/25/2007 12:50:44 MDT Print View

My mother sent this to me in the wake of my first multi-night solo hike in the Cascades, I'm sure it is making the rounds.

The downloaded pictures are of a man who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear (killed in self defense).

bear 1
bear 2

He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild.

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours including a missing hiker

The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol were the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (the Service ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immensely.

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.

Think about this:

If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's navel when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.

Edited by lollygag on 10/25/2007 12:55:17 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
I dunno on 10/25/2007 13:12:17 MDT Print View

I think I'm gonna have to call the BS flag on this one. I think those are the worst pictures I've ever seen.

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

RE: I dunno on 10/25/2007 13:27:56 MDT Print View

Gosh Chris, The idea of counterfeit pics never occurred to me, now I'm curious...The old family friend who sent it to my mother is career Forestry Service in WA state, but now I wonder how to validate the story. Good thing this is chaff.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
snopes knows all on 10/25/2007 13:36:46 MDT Print View

I just checked snopes.com and entered the word "bear" in the search. The third listing discusses these pictures. Supposedly the pictures are real, but the story has evolved.

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Locale: Southwest GA
Re: snopes knows all on 10/25/2007 13:55:46 MDT Print View

I saw these pictures about a year or two back, so at least PART of the story is wrong (the hunting being "last week"). As for any other part of the story, I can't tell you squat.

Tom

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Big Bear.. on 10/25/2007 14:25:24 MDT Print View

I saw these pictures a few years back also. If they were really gonna stuff the bear than there should be some pictures of it scaring all the kids arriving at the airport...

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Bear on 10/25/2007 15:25:01 MDT Print View

I don't have much of an issue with the size since it's only just outside upper end of the normal range for brown bears. The pictures are really bad though and the bear looks black but has the dished face of a brown. Also, it says the largest grizzly ever recorded in the world but they only exist in North America. The largest Kodiak recorded was 2500+ lbs but typical heights seem to top out at the 10 foot area.

A quick search indicates it's supposedly real but a mix of two seperate stories. I have my doubts still though.

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Bear on 10/25/2007 15:33:43 MDT Print View

Thanks Chris, Can't believe I didn't give it a second thought. When I was a kid, urban myths circulated without the benefit of cyberspace--I guess I'm not yet immune to the new way.