Patagonia DAS vs hooded Micro Puff
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
Re: Other options on 10/24/2007 20:28:32 MDT Print View

Jonathan said:"Has anyone tried the new montbell flatiron parka? It has 120 g insulation, and it looks like a trim cut, the great thing is that its only 22 ounces and 170 bucks. It seems like the perfect fit in between the micro and DAS, and it comes with a stuff sack that is about 170 cubic inches."

DUDE! stop me!

Edited by Paul_Tree on 10/24/2007 20:30:09 MDT.

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Locale: Almost Yosemite
DAS vs Micro Puff on 10/25/2007 00:32:17 MDT Print View

I was hanging out at the Ventura shop today checking everything out. I think now that the Micro Puff line has gained weight I wouldn't bother with the hooded Micro Puff and go straight for the DAS. I didn't have a scale but holding the two side by side and trying them both on they seemed very close in weight. The listed difference between the two is about 7 ounces but the features and warmth of the DAS are worth it.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
DAS on Sale on 10/25/2007 09:12:33 MDT Print View

Backcountry.com has the DAS on sale right now:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/PAT0372/Patagonia-DAS-Parka-Mens.html

Jeff Vince
(AC_Doctor) - F
Pataguuci DAS Parka on 10/25/2007 13:01:41 MDT Print View

I bought a new ranger green Patagonia DAS Parka from Diamondback Tactical for $148.00 plus shipping.
They took them off their website but they have them on sale at their Peoria Arizona location. The C.S. lady said if they didn't sell, then they would relist them in a couple of weeks. Who in the heck would be buying that cold weather gear in AZ anyways? ;)

AC

Donald Browning
(docdb) - M

Locale: SE USA
Ranger Green DAS on 10/25/2007 13:12:39 MDT Print View

I consider that Ranger Green DAS one of my favorite internet finds. If you want to blend in, it's a relief to get some outdoor clothing that's not black or Neon!
Don

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Pataguuci DAS Parka on 10/25/2007 14:22:12 MDT Print View

Do you think they'll sell them over the web? I wanted one but they took them down before I could get one for $148.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Pataguuci DAS Parka on 10/25/2007 15:12:24 MDT Print View

Bummer I just contacted them. Looks like I have to wait. HOpefully no one buys all of the smalls!

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Another idea on 10/25/2007 18:31:45 MDT Print View

Moutain hardwear actually has something called the hooded compresser, with 100g of primaloft one, at 19 oz and $175, if the soft primaloft is more your kinda thing that continuous fill can be.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=404&cat=39&viewAll=False

Also, would a light and a mid weight jacket be warmer or colder than one heavy one? my thermawrap action + a possible flatiron would be 170g, but moving your arms would be creating a draft.

Edited by hotrhoddudeguy on 10/25/2007 18:41:48 MDT.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Patagonia DAS vs hooded Micro Puff on 10/25/2007 22:20:12 MDT Print View

Dave, I don't know what low temps you are expecting, but I chose the DAS parka and Micro-puff pants for winter hiking in the Japan alps when my thermawrap set is not enough. Including windchill, lows of about -20C. It is part of my sleep system which includes a stretchable Montbell sleeping bag to accomodate the clothing loft.
I got the little-known military version of the DAS from diamondbacktactical.com for $150. Like the previous poster said, you dont have to pay full price.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Temp for DAS on 10/26/2007 10:08:59 MDT Print View

Hi Brett. Well, I'm gearing up for the first time here and I'm planning most of my hikes for the North East, the Catskills and 'Dacks in particular. I'd like to do some winter backpacking this year, but I may not make it due to the costs associated with buying new gear.

Winter temps go pretty low up in the 'Dacks, below zero to be sure, so...

After I get my clothes more or less sorted out, I'm going to move on to a sleeping system and shelter. Ideally, I'd like a clothing/sleep system that affords me a great deal of flexibility (i.e. with components that I can use in all 4 seasons). To that end, I think that the DAS would allow me to stretch the temperature rating of my yet to be determined sleep system. So, Brett, I think I might like to pick your brain regarding those Montbell bags. I've noticed that they have bags rated at 0* that don't weight too much, but they're really pricey. Before buying one, I'd like to talk to someone who uses them. In general, I feel like I know the least about cold weather sleep systems. Clothes, shelter, and cooking systems all make intuitive sense, but the notion of carrying a small quilt into freezing temps really weirds me out!

>>Also, would a light and a mid weight jacket be warmer or colder than one heavy one? my thermawrap action + a possible flatiron would be 170g, but moving your arms would be creating a draft.

I'm with you here Jonathan. I'd love to know more about this.

By the way, if I remember right, on the Diamondback Tactical website, the DAS price was a lot higher for the Large size. The rest were cheap like you've mentioned, but I was pretty miffed about them jacking the price on my size!

lee davis
(leepfrog) - F

Locale: New York
DAS vs. Meltdown on 10/26/2007 13:14:35 MDT Print View

Is there any reason, price aside, the DAS is a better deal than the W.M. Meltdown jacket? Seems like the latter is lighter and potentially warmer.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: DAS vs. Meltdown on 10/26/2007 13:24:57 MDT Print View

Down vs synthetic if I remember what the melt down is correctly.

A true belay jacket goes on last, over everything else you're wearing when you're belaying your partner climbing. You don't really want to sit out in a snowstorm getting yoru down jacket soaked. It's not such a big deal with synthetic. Plus getting your jacket ripped is a much bigger concern using it as it was intended.

If you just need a big warm winter jacket, there are plenty of down options out there. I just wouldn't use them as a true beley jacket.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Patagonia Das parka for sale! on 10/26/2007 15:35:40 MDT Print View

I've got a late 2006 or 2007 model Das parka, that I'd like to sell. Used only a few times, and is like new. Its an XL though, in Black.

$150.00 shipped or B.O.

Edited by mfog1 on 10/26/2007 15:45:13 MDT.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
DAS at Diamondback Tactical for $144 on 10/31/2007 09:41:41 MDT Print View

Anybody that's still looking for a DAS can buy it at Diamondback Tactical for $144. Unless, of course, you wear a size L like me, in which case they'll jack you for another $106. What is that about anyway?

Here's the link:

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/MARS-DAS-Parka-Lev-7-Ranger-Green-P2463C292.aspx

Philip Mitchell
(pmops5) - F

Locale: Florida
RE:DAS at Diamondback Tactical for $144 on 10/31/2007 11:29:12 MDT Print View

"Unless, of course, you wear a size L like me, in which case they'll jack you for another $106."

I hate that- something is advertised as on sale somewhere, then you find out that price is only on XXXXXXXXL; medium or large is full price

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: RE:DAS at Diamondback Tactical for $144 on 10/31/2007 11:37:36 MDT Print View

Well in this case it's JUST the large that is more. The small, medium and XL are all on sale at the advertised price.

Philip Mitchell
(pmops5) - F

Locale: Florida
Re: RE:DAS at Diamondback Tactical for $144 on 10/31/2007 11:46:29 MDT Print View

Yes, I didn't intend to mislead anyone, I am talking in general.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Tell me about it on 10/31/2007 11:55:19 MDT Print View

>>Well in this case it's JUST the large that is more.

Unfortunately, the M is too small and the XL is too big. I'm more than a little bummed.

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Locale: Southwest GA
Re: Re: RE:DAS at Diamondback Tactical for $144 on 10/31/2007 11:55:46 MDT Print View

>Well in this case it's JUST the large that is more. The small, medium and XL are all on sale at the advertised price.

Which sucks, because I wear a freaking large :(

Tom

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: RE:DAS at Diamondback Tactical for $144 on 10/31/2007 11:56:21 MDT Print View

Gottcha. Backcountry is doing just what you hate now with these parkas. I thought I could get a DAS there for $186 but it's just the XL or XXL size in one color. The rest were full price. Bummer!