Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » cheap and simple stove!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
cheap and simple stove! on 10/23/2007 21:35:09 MDT Print View

This is a cheap and easy pot that I made more or less out of left overs. The only thing that wasn't a scrap piece was the stove base (which i had to cut off of a fresh can). You can easily make this out of one can.

WIth a can opener I cut the top out of a coke can

Then I cut a 30mm piece off the top of a coke can and a 20mm piece off of the bottom of the same coke can

To finish this stove you just put the 30mm piece into the 20mm piece (might take some "stretching"). I pushed the top into the bottom just until it started to crimp up a little bit.

This stove is quickly becoming my favorite. It works almost like a low pressure side burner stove. The fuel comes out between the walls of the two cans. It takes almost no time for the stove to get to full blast.

Okay okay, I know everyone is wondering, and yes I did test the specs. They are as follows:

Less than 1oz of 50/50 HEET/91% Iso fuel boiled 16oz of cool (sorry don't know the exact water temp) water in 4 min 20 sec.

I don't know if that is good by normal standards, but I was pleased.

Pictures are here if you would like a visual: http://backpacking.weebly.com/my-spin-on-a-low-pressure-side-jet-stove.html

Edited by dufus934 on 10/27/2007 01:59:44 MDT.

Steven Bergeron
(TheTurk)

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: cheap and simple stove! on 10/24/2007 14:05:31 MDT Print View

Well, it was going to happen sooner or later ...

I've seen plenty of stove designs here that I would be happy to buy but never had the desire to make one myself. (I don't consider my tea light stove a "make" effort.)

Not sure what about this stove's design did me in but I now "need" to make this stove.

Thanks for sharing your design, Kyle!

Steve

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: cheap and simple stove! on 10/28/2007 20:44:23 MDT Print View

Kyle,

What kind of can opener did you use to cut the top out of the can. The shoulder of the can gets in the way of my can opener.

-Mark

Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Re: Re: cheap and simple stove! on 10/28/2007 22:03:52 MDT Print View

Mark,

For a long time i had that same problem. I couldn't get past it and i know how frusterating it is. The can opener i have now is made by sunbeam (or something like that, it is really common company you can get at walmart) it has white handles, and it is one of those that you put the blade and gear on and squeze the two handles together. It still doesn't work well with the Heiney cans, but i am still looking for a can opener that will. This one will however get the top off of the Heiney cans, but the way it does it is by way of the gear that rotates the cans. The teeth of the gear eventually chew through the outside of the can under the rim (that i wanted to keep on for a tennis ball container lid that fits really good on the top of the Heiney cans) and leaves a rough edge, but it works well on all other cans. I think it was about 6 or 7 dollars. Let me know if you have a good way to get the inside tops off the Heiney cans.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Re: Re: Re: cheap and simple stove! on 10/29/2007 18:37:25 MDT Print View

Kyle,
Thanks, I'll look into a different can opener.

To get the top off a Heiney can you can use a Side Cutter Can opener like "Good Cook Safe Cut Can Opener" I've seen knock offs at the local supermarket for 5 bucks.
Side cut can opener
It splits the crimped seam around the outside top rim of the can and lets you lift the top off and use it for a lid if you want. Although it works great on the Heiney can, I couldn't get it to work on the coke can.

I tried to make this stove last night (used a kitchen knife and brute force to remove the top). I kind of crimped the top as I set it into the bottom, but the fit was too good and I got a perfectly sealed seam. How much pre crimping did you do to get it to vent around the seam for the jets?

-Mark

Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: cheap and simple stove! on 10/30/2007 14:35:46 MDT Print View

Mark,

When I made this, I got the crimping by dialating the can so they would fit together correctly, but then I just pushed the can in a little farther til the bottom section of can caused the top (and inner section) to begin to fold in. I dialated the can bottom by making the dialating tool off of zenstoves.com and rotating the tool in the can bottom.

http://backpacking.weebly.com/my-spin-on-a-low-pressure-side-jet-stove.html

Look at the top right pic on this site. It is a picture of the stove I made. Hope this helped, let me know if I can help you anymore. Good Luck!

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cheap and simple stove! on 10/30/2007 16:26:17 MDT Print View

Kyle,

Ahh..dialation.
Got it!

Thanks,
-Mark