Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tarp size when used with a bivy
Display Avatars Sort By:
S P
(HighAltitude) - F
Tarp size when used with a bivy on 10/23/2007 14:33:32 MDT Print View

For solo use, with a light weight water resistant bivy, what tarp or size tarp do you use?

I have an ID 8x10 silnylon flat tarp but it would be nice to use something smaller and save some weight.

Is a 5'x8' poncho tarp really big enough in a down pour with proper site selection?

I don't have any experience with spinnaker or cuben fabric. How does it compare to silnylon as far as tear strength and abrasion resistance?

Looks like I need to go buy some cheap plastic sheeting and experiment a little.

Edited by HighAltitude on 10/23/2007 14:47:31 MDT.

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Tarp size when used with a bivy on 10/23/2007 15:04:12 MDT Print View

Maybe, the constant answer. The lower and flatter the tarp is pitched the better the coverage, but the less livable it is. A poncho will keep you warm and dry with good site selection, but you will not always be able to sit up.

Was that vague enough?

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re:Re: Tarp size when used with a bivy on 10/23/2007 16:53:53 MDT Print View

For me, length is more of an issue then width - I'm a tall skinny guy...My tarp/poncho measures 55" x 110". I can pitch it right to the ground (guessing 30" height or so) with my poles fully collapsed and still "slither" inside when the weather gets really nasty. I'd get a smaller one, but really, with the crazy light weights of some fabric nowadays, it's hardly worth it. A 5x8 is wider then my setup, so IMO you should be good to go - however, the length would stop ME from using it (how tall are you?)...gotta have room to put your boots too!

Edited by Steve_Evans on 10/23/2007 16:57:44 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Tarp size when used with a bivy on 10/23/2007 19:03:20 MDT Print View

Golite Poncho Tarp measures: 8 ft 8 in x 4 ft 10 in
is big enough for my 5 ft 11

I've used it with Bozeman Mountain Works VAPR Bivy Sack

Excellent results for me so far.

I'm looking forward to trying Mountain Laurel Designs Silnylon Pro Poncho - its shape tapers front to rear (67’ wide front / 55” wide rear / 9’ (108”) Long). Should be getting it soon per the shipping estimate when I ordered it.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
customize it on 10/24/2007 10:11:50 MDT Print View

I cut my 8x10 foot tarp down to 6x10 feet. It saved 25% of the original weight, and provides plenty of coverage for me and my gear in any weather. I also have a Golite poncho tarp, and when pitched it's just not quite long enough unless I "raise" the edges about 6 inches off the ground. (I'm 6-2.)

R Yee
(lighter) - F
8' x 5' may be enough depending on the type of bivy on 10/28/2007 02:40:59 MDT Print View

It's the size I use with my ID Unishelter & it's fine. The Unishelter is enough for most conditions on its own, the tarp is mainly for dry entry/exit & cooking. With the setup shown below, I stayed dry in heavy rain & 50mph winds overnight in Patagonia.Unishelter under 8x5 siltarp

Edited by lighter on 10/28/2007 02:42:29 MDT.