Forum Index » Chaff » Not Quite Ultralight

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Wolff
(Andrew)

Locale: Chattanooga
Not Quite Ultralight on 10/20/2007 08:53:55 MDT Print View

So I guess by now that a few people here have seen the latest issue of Backpacker Magazine with the whole section on how to go ultralight. Pretty interesting to see some of the techniques so commonly discussed here suddenly going mainstream (I think this is a great thing BTW). The article also features many local favorites such as ULA, GG tarps, Caldera Cone and Freezerbag Cooking with the title of their skills section being "Ultralight Or Bust". However a couple of pages later their Base Pack weight comes in at over 13 and a half pounds - I guess they busted.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Not Quite Ultralight on 10/20/2007 09:50:37 MDT Print View

True, but for many getting a base of 13-14 lbs is a good start ;-) It does allow for some creature comforts ;-)

If it can help some heavy packers with 25-35 lb base weights......imagine going from 35 lbs base weight to 15 lbs. It would be incredible feeling :-)

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Not so UL on 10/21/2007 18:21:32 MDT Print View

I was under 9 lbs base on my last trip and have added 3-4 back to that. I tried the tarp thing and the condensation/dew that developed both inside and outside the tarp as well as at the head area of the bug netting I was using was completely unacceptable. I've gone back to a double-wall tent although it's a very light one but in order to carry that I've also gone back to my GraniteGear pack which is a little heavier but a lot more durable than the Mariposa I carried on the last trip.