Forum Index » Multiple Use Gear » Spork knife?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Simon Harding
(SimonHarding) - F
Spork knife? on 10/19/2007 14:00:32 MDT Print View

I may have missed this, but has anyone experience with sharpening an edge of a titanium spork for use as a knife? I'd think given it is titanium, one would need to start with an angle or wheel grinder and then a file to get an edge on it. And I don;t know if a file would work on titanium. Maybe a stone instead. I like my wpork, and continue to use it in spite of having a plastic double ended spoon fork thing that likely weighs less.

Simon

Neil Bender
(nebender) - F
titanium work hardens on 10/19/2007 19:03:48 MDT Print View

If I recall correctly titanium work hardens which is why it is so difficult to machine. Grinding it should work, but I also have heard that titanium is pyrophoric so it might give off a nice shower of bright sparks that burn in the air, not the usual red specks that grinding steel gives.

I think it's worth a try; I had the thought myself but just haven't gotten around to it.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Spork knife? on 10/19/2007 23:29:37 MDT Print View

> has anyone experience with sharpening an edge of a titanium spork for use as a knife?

I tried sharpening a titanium knife from a GSI cutlery set once. The result, *for the alloy they had used*, was pathetic. It was a bit like sharpening soft aluminium or soft stainless steel. I can only conclude it was a soft alloy or pure titanium.

I have also tried grinding a hard 6Al-4V titanium alloy. This stuff does grind, but you need to be a little careful as it does not behave like steel. Actually, it is as tough and hard as ...

The sparks are not much of a problem in my experience.

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: titanium work hardens on 10/19/2007 23:46:56 MDT Print View

> If I recall correctly titanium work hardens
Not as far as I know - which may be limited.
The good 6Al-4V alloy does not *need* to work harden ... but it WILL crack if you try bending it cold.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Ouch! on 10/24/2007 17:05:32 MDT Print View

Don't you run the risk of cutting your lip if you make an effective knife edge on your spork?

Dan Bigley
(88BlueGT) - F
Agreed.... on 11/15/2007 23:44:32 MST Print View

I was just thinking the same thing. That would be a little too dangerous for me. Personally, I rather carry a Ti knife than run the risk of slicing my lips wide open on a trail.