BPL Community Profile

Erik G (fox212) - BPL Guest

My Locale THE Bay Area :)
About Me I've been backpacking a long time, and started trying to go ultralight over the past year or so. I'm always trying to refine my gear list to improve comfort and enjoyment while also reducing weight, volume, and number of items carried. I love the simplicity of a minimal kit. I also enjoy making and modifying my own gear.
CityDanville
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3-Season Gear list as of 09-2013

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Erik G

Showing 1 - 10 of 74 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Forum » Thread

Gravity filling of bladders
I HATE trying to wrestle a water bladder, empty or full, into or out of a full backpack. I've found that it is not necessary though to fill it up with a gravity filter setup (or a pump filter f...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » What is your hydration system using the Sawyer Mini filter?
June 02, 5:44pm

Great pics
Really great pics, Bob, and in a beautiful area. I loved hiking out of Mineral King...except for Sawtooth Pass of course. "I don't think that you want to go _up_ Sawtooth Pass..." ...

In Post-Trip Reports » California: Sequoia National Park
May 22, 9:58am

Not much snow methinks
I'm taking a few coworkers out to that area over Memorial Day weekend for their first backpacking trip. IMO, there won't be much snow at all below 9000' Dodge Ridge ski resort has we...

In Pre-Trip Planning » anyone been to emigrant recently?
May 16, 12:24pm

re: re: some ideas
Here's the thread I posted: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=88828 I have to work Friday :( so I'll just be driving ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Early sierra trip...
March 20, 11:02pm

Some ideas
Well, I'm headed out to the Chilnualna Falls area that weekend (posted in group hikes forum). Trail starts in Wawona (Yosemite) at 4000ft and climbs to around 8500ft in a bit less than 10mi (it...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Early sierra trip...
March 20, 9:29pm

Issues
Well stated above...lol. That's about the only issue I perceive. Why not hang it? Would a few oz for some cord put you over the SUL mark? ;) Or will you be above treeline?

In Philosophy & Technique » Sleeping Wth Your Food in Black Bear Country
March 19, 9:51am

Another option
Another option is the HMG Echo 1. I've been using the echo 2 for a couple years now and it has held up very well. Excellent construction. Very similar to the grace solo.

In GEAR » MLD Grace tarp, lightest cat cut tarp?
March 17, 8:52pm

Chilnualna Falls (Yosemite) 3/29-3/30
Anyone interested in an overnighter to Chilnualna Falls and beyond on the weekend of 3/29-3/30? This trail starts at 4000ft and is on a south-facing slope, so there shouldn't be much snow. I...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Chilnualna Falls (Yosemite) 3/29-3/30
March 17, 7:45pm

Re: Yosemite 3/15
Did you end up heading out there? I'm curious what elevation you hit consistent snow at. Thinking about heading out to the area in a couple of weeks. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Yosemite this weekend, 3/15
March 17, 1:44pm

Re: Sawyer Mini but you can't have it
Very cool! I'd love to know how you made that. Or did you purchase it somewhere? Either way I dig it. That's how Sawyer should have made it in the first place.

In GEAR » Sawyer Mini design...so close
March 12, 4:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Erik G

Erik G has posted no reviews.