BPL Community Profile

Thomas Knighton (Tomcat1066) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southwest GA
About Me I'm new, but the idea of carrying around 50 lbs of gear is not enticing in the least. I've spent a lot of time car camping in the past, and truthfully, it got boring. I wanted something new and exciting. I wanted to see places most folks will never see because they just don't have what it takes. Backpacking is something I've always wanted to do. Now, I'm doing it!
CityAlbany
StateGA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListPine Mountain Trail Overnight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Knighton

Showing 1 - 10 of 246 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...25

Forum » Thread

RE: Tarptent Urgent recall
Just read the directions upside down and you'll be fine.

In GEAR » Tarptent Urgent recall
April 01, 8:51am

Re: Re: Winter PCT
>Bet Skurka wouldn't even attempt that one. I'd attempt it. Of course, I've never been known for my sound decision making skills...just meeting a couple of my ex girlfriends wo...

In Winter Hiking » Winter PCT
November 01, 12:10pm

Re: Re: RE:DAS at Diamondback Tactical for $144
>Well in this case it's JUST the large that is more. The small, medium and XL are all on sale at the advertised price. Which sucks, because I wear a freaking large :( Tom

In GEAR » Patagonia DAS vs hooded Micro Puff
October 31, 11:55am

Re: UL Travel Pack
>Wearing a backpack on a crowded subway car leaves you wiping the nose of the person behind you and getting a lesson in cussing in the local language:) OK, now I HAVE to have a travel pack :D...

In GEAR » If Only Someone Made A.....
October 31, 7:05am

Re: Gatewood Cape
I've got a Gatewood Cape, and they're awesome. All the advantages of a poncho/tarp, but with more overall protection (though less ventilation), all in an 11 ounce package. Got to love tha...

In Multiple Use Gear » Best Poncho/Shelter Design
October 30, 7:34pm

Re: FS: Black Patagonia Micropuff Pullover Men's Small
If only it were a large :( Tom

In Gear Swap » Black Patagonia Micropuff Pullover Men's Small
October 30, 9:18am

Cocoon Point of contention
The primary issue I have with the Cocoon quilts is the definition of "summer" temps. I live in Southwest Georgia. Summer temps here are significantly different than on a mountian in the...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Reviews for BMW Products...
October 30, 7:53am

Re: SPAM review in reader reviews
He didn't even change his post significantly from what I can tell . At least someone reviewed them and gave them a 1/5 to even the odds a bit :D Tom

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » SPAM review in reader reviews
October 30, 4:01am

Re: RE: FS Platypus Little Nippers -GONE-
So THAT was the hold-up. I was worried you were going to hold mine for ransom :D Tom

In Gear Swap » FS Platypus Little Nippers
October 29, 4:40pm

Re: Mountain Laurel Designs Duo Shelter
Yeah, but at half the weight. I'm VERY curious of the cost though, since that could be a deciding factor. Tom

In GEAR » Mountain Laurel Designs Duo Shelter
October 29, 4:02am

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Knighton

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Golite Jam
I bought my GoLite Jam on closeout, since I was gearing up completely and needed to save money where I could. However, after trying the pack out, I have to say it was money well spent. I currently r...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 25, 7:19am

Petzl e+LITE
I got caught out past dark, and my e+Light really saved my butt. On maximum, it was enough to help me find my way for the next couple of miles to get to camp, and help me set up. I didn't notice...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 22, 7:37am

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
First, let me preface this by saying that I found no new information in the book really. However, that doesn't take away from the book. What I did was read it in the context to which it was inte...

In Books and Media
October 11, 7:04am

Light My Fire Spork
I bought one of these about a year ago to test as a possible piece of gear for my first backpacking trip. I promptly bought one for my wife and one for my son! These puppies are the best design out ...

In Cookware - Other
September 14, 3:37pm

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
I purchased this DVD as a bit of a lark. I had heard some good things about it, and wanted to actually SEE some of the ultralight gear and techniques put to use. Not only that, but one of my guilty ...

In Books and Media
February 10, 7:32am

Lightweight Backpacking and Camping by Ryan Jordan et al.
First, there is no better book on ultralight backpacking that I've read. This book is good for the beginner who decides to start ultralight, or the experienced traditional backpacker who wants to...

In Books and Media
February 10, 7:25am

Coleman Peak 1 Microstove
Purchased partly by accident, partly by impatience, the Peak 1 Microstove is actually a pleasant surprise. It's easy to light, easy to control, fairly fuel efficient, and realitively inexpensive ...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 4:31pm

The Ultralight Backpacker by Ryel Kestenbaum
When I stumbled across this book at my local bookstore, I was excited beyond belief. A book on ultralight backpacking was exactly what I was looking for, and Lighten Up! was apparently sold out. &qu...

In Books and Media
January 06, 4:25pm

The Backpacker's Field Manual by Rick Curtis
Being new to backpacking, I picked up this book as a primer for my understand of the subject of backpacking. It's target audience is primarily people like me, who are new to backpacking and want ...

In Books and Media
January 02, 3:04am