Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Keith Selbo (herman666) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me I've been a camper all my life. BK: (before kids) the wife and I would throw our bikes and a little wheeled trunk in the back of the plane and head for the boonies just about every weekend. AK: Camping was a rarity, but we took day hikes with the kids. Now the kids are on their own and we've discovered lightweight backpacking. Been doing it for three years. Base pack weight is 14lb and decreasing. Tent is now a Hennessy Hyperlight and I've replaced the Miniworks with a Sawyer.

People in down don't frown.
CityManassas
StateVA
CountryUS
My PDF Gear ListThree Season Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Keith Selbo

Showing 1 - 10 of 488 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...49

Forum » Thread

Some alternatives
the Coffey Chair uses trekking poles to keep weight down. I sit on my neo-air and use my pack for a backrest. The only added weight is a couple of ounces of rope in a loop that goes behind my pack...

In Editor's Roundtable » Flash Reviews No. 2: Deuce of Spades, Helinox Ground Chair, and Vargo vs. MSR Pot Lifters
October 16, 10:18pm

Re: Re: I want this filter?
>So maybe, when the filter element looks a bit discoloured and it is several years old, you replace it? Nothing lasts forever. Reckon that might work? >I am sure there are lots of competit...

In Editor's Roundtable » RapidPure Filters Review
September 29, 9:52am

I want this filter?
you can't tell when the rapid pure is no longer effective. it's useless. I thru hiked the AT with Sawyer squeeze and two 1 1/2 L soda bottles. I backflushed the filter once a week. I ...

In Editor's Roundtable » RapidPure Filters Review
September 28, 6:43pm

Never had a quilt
The pad is so much more versatile. If you go to ground or have to sleep in a shelter as is required for transiting the Smokies, the pad works. I use a three quarter length Neo-air under my torso ...

In Hammocks » Underquilt or Pad?
April 08, 12:51pm

Re: @ Keith
Here's the link. They call them convertibles instead of glo-mits in the UK. http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/products_gloves_fujiconvertible.html

In Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
January 14, 8:16am

My three
Sawyer squeeze water filter: light, no waiting, lasts forever. 2K miles and counting with no regrets. The bags that come with it were practically useless to me. Recommend replacing them with sod...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
January 13, 8:53pm

Re: Re: A couple of things
David, Glad I could help especially because your findings are particularly interesting. The findings of other experimenters I've read have been most notable for their imprecision and have g...

In Make Your Own Gear » Painting pot black
January 05, 8:01am

Yeah but ...
There will be radiant transfer, but based on the results we've seen so far it is certainly not the dominant mode and likely doesn't justify painting the bottom of the pot black.

January 03, 3:36pm

A couple of things
The guy at minibull design tested blackened vs natural pots and found no significant difference in boil times. That made sense to me because the hot gasses from the flame contact the pot directly,...

January 03, 11:17am

Re: Re: Two things
"What diameter rope are you using that mice can walk up it? I'd suspect some 2.2mm dyneema arborist rope rated to around 600lbs would serve both your pack weight and your food well." ...

In GEAR » PCT Bear Bag Method
October 26, 6:44am

All Reader Reviews by Keith Selbo

Showing 21 - 30 of 31 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Nalgene CXC Rapid fill 3 liter bladder
The dummies didn't make the cap the same size as it is on their wide mouthed jars (a defacto standard) so certain screw on filter adapters don't fit. Otherwise, a nice product. I like the snap...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
June 23, 9:36am

Black Diamond Spire Elliptical Trekking Poles
Twist locks are so 1950's. That's the reason why I bought these poles. I was tired of twist locks jamming, slipping, failing, and once even splitting a pole. The snap-on clip locks are the bes...

In Trekking Poles
June 23, 9:27am

Gossamer Gear Lightrek Plus Poles
Good God these poles are light! Strong too. No problems for me whatsoever so I'll just address some of the issues noted above. No Straps. My wife likes to have straps too so I took the strap...

In Trekking Poles
June 23, 9:14am

MSR Mini-works
It's not a 5 because it's heavy (about a pound). Otherwise, this is a great product. It filters quickly, it's easy to tell if the element is worn out or damaged or simply needs cleaning....

In Hydration - Water Treatment
May 21, 2:21pm

Sawyer In-Line Filter
I've used this filter (this is the 0.1 micron version) in a gravity configuration with two platy bags similar to the arrangement shown a photo in one of the above reviews. I should point out that...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
May 21, 2:01pm

Marmot Atom
I haven't spent the night in this bag yet, but I wanted to make a statement about it. Almost all the vendors I looked at list the Atom regular size as a 1 lb. bag and the long as a 1 lb. 5 oz. ba...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 21, 1:34pm

Western Mountaineering Alpinelite
This is my first 20 degree bag. It is not, however, my first 20 degree RATED bag. I've spent some cold nights in the 30's in some other 20 degree bags. I've had this one down to 21 de...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 21, 1:17pm

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I own the 8 oz. short version. What I like most is the 8 oz. The airiness is also superb. My only other experience with ponchos were rubberized military versions and those cheap vinyl ones both of ...

In Clothing - Raingear
April 21, 10:37am

GossamerGear Mariposa
I have to qualify this review by saying I've only owned one other pack, a 65 liter Marmot internal frame pack, so I don't have a lot of experience. The Marmot was heavy and by my third day on...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
April 20, 8:00pm

Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite Backpacker
Price: $229.95 Weight: 1 lb. 10 oz. I was sold after watching the videos and reading the specs. At 1 lb. 10 oz. there are very few fully enclosed tents that can compete on a weight ...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
April 20, 2:47pm