Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Keith Selbo (herman666) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me I've been a camper all my life. BK: (before kids) the wife and I would throw our bikes and a little wheeled trunk in the back of the plane and head for the boonies just about every weekend. AK: Camping was a rarity, but we took day hikes with the kids. Now the kids are on their own and we've discovered lightweight backpacking. Been doing it for three years. Base pack weight is 14lb and decreasing. Tent is now a Hennessy Hyperlight and I've replaced the Miniworks with a Sawyer.

People in down don't frown.
CityManassas
StateVA
CountryUS
My PDF Gear ListThree Season Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Keith Selbo

Showing 1 - 10 of 488 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...49

Forum » Thread

Some alternatives
the Coffey Chair uses trekking poles to keep weight down. I sit on my neo-air and use my pack for a backrest. The only added weight is a couple of ounces of rope in a loop that goes behind my pack...

In Editor's Roundtable » Flash Reviews No. 2: Deuce of Spades, Helinox Ground Chair, and Vargo vs. MSR Pot Lifters
October 16, 10:18pm

Re: Re: I want this filter?
>So maybe, when the filter element looks a bit discoloured and it is several years old, you replace it? Nothing lasts forever. Reckon that might work? >I am sure there are lots of competit...

In Editor's Roundtable » RapidPure Filters Review
September 29, 9:52am

I want this filter?
you can't tell when the rapid pure is no longer effective. it's useless. I thru hiked the AT with Sawyer squeeze and two 1 1/2 L soda bottles. I backflushed the filter once a week. I ...

In Editor's Roundtable » RapidPure Filters Review
September 28, 6:43pm

Never had a quilt
The pad is so much more versatile. If you go to ground or have to sleep in a shelter as is required for transiting the Smokies, the pad works. I use a three quarter length Neo-air under my torso ...

In Hammocks » Underquilt or Pad?
April 08, 12:51pm

Re: @ Keith
Here's the link. They call them convertibles instead of glo-mits in the UK. http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/products_gloves_fujiconvertible.html

In Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
January 14, 8:16am

My three
Sawyer squeeze water filter: light, no waiting, lasts forever. 2K miles and counting with no regrets. The bags that come with it were practically useless to me. Recommend replacing them with sod...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
January 13, 8:53pm

Re: Re: A couple of things
David, Glad I could help especially because your findings are particularly interesting. The findings of other experimenters I've read have been most notable for their imprecision and have g...

In Make Your Own Gear » Painting pot black
January 05, 8:01am

Yeah but ...
There will be radiant transfer, but based on the results we've seen so far it is certainly not the dominant mode and likely doesn't justify painting the bottom of the pot black.

January 03, 3:36pm

A couple of things
The guy at minibull design tested blackened vs natural pots and found no significant difference in boil times. That made sense to me because the hot gasses from the flame contact the pot directly,...

January 03, 11:17am

Re: Re: Two things
"What diameter rope are you using that mice can walk up it? I'd suspect some 2.2mm dyneema arborist rope rated to around 600lbs would serve both your pack weight and your food well." ...

In GEAR » PCT Bear Bag Method
October 26, 6:44am

All Reader Reviews by Keith Selbo

Showing 11 - 20 of 31 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steamer Bags
I use these bags for baking all the time. Usually muffins for breakfast. Put the mix in the bag, roll it up and secure it with a rubber band so mix doesn't leak out the vents. When it's time...

In Cookware - Other
November 23, 7:41pm

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 Adjustable CF Trekking Poles
These poles come in a short 3.3 oz. adj. 33 to 49 in. and regular 3.4 oz. adj. to 50 in. They have super soft grips with plenty of top cushion that's handy if you want to hold them with the top i...

In Trekking Poles
November 19, 9:11pm

Hennessy Hammocks Customer Service
They bend over backwards to guarantee satisfaction. They show me trust, respect and are responsive to my questions. When there's been a problem they've over-rectified it. Great Company.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 18, 8:07pm

Western Mountaineering The Company
Have two of their bags, but I can't rate a company high if it is in no way interested in talking to it's customers. No contact info on the web site gets them a 1.

October 18, 8:02pm

Gossamer Gear
These people deliver great products. They correct problems quickly and are responsive to their email. Sometimes they go the extra mile, doing more than they have to to satisfy the customer. Nuff sai...

October 18, 7:56pm

Princeton Tec EOS
A little heavy, but not uncomfortably so. The long lasting low beam (121 hrs on 3 AAA's) is usually all I need for hiking and almost every task in camp. The high beam punches a deep hole in the...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 15, 11:40am

Vigo red beans and rice
Weight: 227g (8 oz) Calories: 736 Fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 0 Sodium: 730 mg Fiber: 4g This sticks-to-your-ribs filling meal delivers great taste at a reasonable price. It comes in a foil bag, so...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
October 03, 12:08pm

Mountain House Precooked Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
Didn't give this the lowest rating because I lived to tell about it. Gaaack! I bought a couple of these for a mid 50 miler treat after watching a rave video review by a certain cantankerous ponti...

October 03, 11:45am

Mountain House Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice
This meal actually tastes like sweet and sour pork. I have no complaints save price which is nearly as much as a restaurant meal.

October 03, 11:25am

Silva Tech 4 O flexible solar panel SC44
Specifications: Capacity: 4 AA's in 10 hrs, 2AA's in 5 hrs. <...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 05, 8:41am