BPL Community Profile

Roleigh Martin (marti124) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
About Me Formerly from MN and NY, now in Reno, NV, I have been hiking every summer in the High Sierra since 2000. From 2000-2007, we did the High Sierra Trail (HST). Been doing the John Muir Trail since then, every year. I am the lead moderator for the JohnMuirTrail@YahooGroups.com for 2011-2013. I organized groups (without charge) for the JMT, 2008-2011 for the hike I participated in (from 5 to 8 people). I'm doing a JMT 2014 group hike again. See my Google Profile for more and top links on a variety of topics (click on "My Website URL above").
CityReno
StateNV
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttps://plus.google.com/+RoleighMartin/about
My PDF Gear ListMy gear list as of 4/3/2010

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roleigh Martin

Showing 991 - 1000 of 1028 | Page: 1 ...84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Unmentionables-weight?
I'll mention the items I hike with that get laughs. Only when I hike or walk in snow boots do I favor using very old fashioned men's garter sock straps to keep the socks up. When I grew u...

In Gear Lists » Unmentionables-weight?
July 07, 12:42am

Re: Since some brought up trekking poles...
Such a hiking pole has been invented and is for sale: http://www.luxurylite.com/ssindex.html The LuxuryLite® Big Survival Stik 3-Piece Big Survival Stik -- weighs 9 ounces for a 50" ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Large carnivore/omnivore protection
July 06, 8:00pm

Re: Re: Large carnivore/omnivore protection
6. Carry a PLB (I use the McMurdo FastFind, 11 oz) - a Personal Locator Beacon -- for getting help fast if hurt -- I also carry Bear Spray, I use a Carribeaner against my metal coffee cup as a no-...

In Philosophy & Technique » Large carnivore/omnivore protection
July 06, 7:25am

Re: Steripen Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I wonder if Lithium CR123 batteries might be okay for the Adventurer. I am going to do a 17 day hike with the Adventurer this year. Last year, we used the original Steripen...

In GEAR » Aquastar vs. Steripen
July 05, 9:29pm

Re: 5-toed! re:Favorite socks?
I have hiked the last 8 years without getting any blisters by wearing the "anti-blister" socks shown here: http://www.sockcompany.com/wrightsock.html Specifically I used these pair...

In GEAR » Favorite socks???
July 05, 9:23pm

Re: New 60L pack
You might want to also consider the luxurylite.com pack (I was given 45 days to try it out, and decided to keep it, and have been doing my workouts with 39 pounds. I did decide to use a back suppo...

In GEAR » New 60L pack
July 04, 1:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker REVIEW
Mitchell, download the user manual. Here are some excerpts from the ADC Pro user manual: Pressure History Graph  The ADC is equipped with a barometric pressure memory function. It records ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker REVIEW
July 04, 11:27am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker REVIEW
Will, I had downloaded the user manuals for the Kestrel 4500 and 3500 and was thinking of getting the 3500 but then I found out about the ADC Pro. The home page for it is here: http://www.brunton....

July 04, 11:21am

Re: Re: Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker REVIEW
Benjamin, I presume there was a typo in this sentence -- the word "not" should be ignored, correct? "Charts and min-max-avg are not available for the user screens."

July 04, 7:44am

Re: Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker REVIEW
I just got done researching the various pocket weather devices and for multiple reasons went with the Brunton ADC Pro which basegear.com now sells for $140. It is 2 oz and has a very super loud al...

July 03, 9:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Roleigh Martin

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wilderness Press John Muir Trail: The Essential Guide to Hiking America’s Most Famous Trail, 5th Edition
Review of John Muir Trail: The Essential Guide to Hiking America’s Most Famous Trail, 5th Edition, by Elizabeth Wenk, Wilderness Press, 2014, 296 pages. Reviewed by Roleigh Martin, Lead Moderator: Jo...

In Books and Media
June 09, 8:47am

zpacks Company
I have bought many items from Zpacks, including some new items he started carrying as a result of my orders, such as the large size pack cover; the 1000 cu inch zero pack; and he provided a customized...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 16, 10:49pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
Thanks to these reviews mentioning the problems and the recall issue, I called MSR up and found out I had a problem element and I was mailed a replacement. I won't be able to determine how good i...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
March 25, 2:02pm

Leukotape P Sports Tape
Andrew Skurka spoke in Minneapolis today at the Outdoor Expo and I took down his notes on foot care and found some links, including this thread. He recommends shoes that keep your feet cool (he u...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
April 26, 11:31pm

Bear Boxer 101 Contender
Can you please provide a link for the Bear Boxer 101 Contender? Thank you. Never mind -- I found the link, I presume it is here: http://www.bareboxer.com/products.htm

In Miscellaneous Products
May 23, 6:43pm