Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), maybe better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 991 - 1000 of 1395 | Page: 1 ...91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ...140

Forum » Thread

Re: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim- Campground Reservation Questions for the Experienced
Yes more than 1 tent per site is allowed and you have to have the permit holder with the permit. In the corridor, 4 of us male solo backpackers were able to fit each of our individual 1-2 person t...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Canyon Rim to Rim- Campground Reservation Questions for the Experienced
January 06, 8:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is the strangest thing you ever saw in the backcountry?
A red headed young lady walking in the Purgatory trail going to the animas river in Colorado's Weminuche wilderness ... in a tiger stripe bikini and flip-flops. Kind of like a syren beckoning ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What is the strangest thing you ever saw in the backcountry?
January 06, 12:06pm

Best UL groundsheet? - Info needed
What's the best lightweight groundsheet out there that can be used as a shelter floor in multiple environments? Kind of thinking in the minimalism vein so I have only one choice in the gear cl...

In GEAR » Best UL groundsheet
January 06, 8:42am

Re: Minimalism
Is a drive to minimalism an aesthetic or a reaction to clutter? I'm kind of in a gray area about this. Civilian backpacking gear packs up small for me but paperwork can pile up. Electronic...

In Philosophy & Technique » Minimalism
January 05, 1:13pm

Vest replacement
Another Feathered Friends vote but for the simpler Hyperion (the handwarmer pockets aren't zippered). Mine is in Epic going strong after several years of constant use both in town and in the f...

In GEAR » Vest replacement
January 04, 7:12pm

Re: Grand Canyon, can go anywhere for 2 nights, what would you do?
Probably an early day down to Horseshoe Mesa to explore. Your last day will be mostly vertical .....up Assuming you can get permits of course.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon, can go anywhere for 2 nights, what would you do?
January 04, 9:44am

Re: Re: 2 Nights
What about the mule dung on the bright angel trail? Is it a significant turn off for a backpacking experience? Going up you really don't notice, it's more about keeping your pace. Going...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon, can go anywhere for 2 nights, what would you do?
January 04, 9:40am

US only medical positions
Because when the wife finds a husband has been out with a hootchie mama, it's best to claim a medical condition (sex addiction) before she doles one out (frying pan over the head or inserted in...

In Chaff » US only medical conditions
January 04, 9:01am

Re: So how many bicyclist read this forum?
Mountain biker here; haven't thought about a touring bike but have thought about adapting my backpacking gear to a mountain bike tour of Arizona's Patagonia region ("Kentucky Camp Loop...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So how many bicyclist read this forum?
January 02, 11:32am

Re: ...Help. 3day GrandCanyon Gear List.
Just a thought: If camping in "the corridor", the soil can be very hardpacked unless the rangers have tilled the soil since I was last there (doubtful). Either a truly free standing tent...

In Gear Lists » I need Help. 3day GrandCanyon Gear List.
January 01, 3:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.