BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 991 - 1000 of 1185 | Page: 1 ...91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ...119

Forum » Thread

Re: Investing in military clothing system?
The level IV to VII items are high demand issued items and need to be accounted for on every inspection (plus returned upon retirement/discharge). Thus I wouldn't expect them to hit the market...

In GEAR » Investing in military clothing system?
August 08, 10:42am

Solar powered bikini charges small electronics, so why not hats, shirts, etc..?
A designer is selling bikinis with flexible photovoltaic strips that work well enough to charge small electronics (link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/-solar-powered-bikini-electronics_n...

In GEAR » Solar powered bikini charges small electronics, so why not hats, shirts, etc..?
August 01, 9:31pm

Re: Wrong Nevada & Freaky Desert Snows
Wrong Nevada but nice video. The YouTube clip is in the country of Chile, see road sign at 0:13. Our summer is their winter. I copied v=ojv9OJ7SoKI and got "desierto nevado" but that...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
August 01, 8:14pm

Outdoors in Portland?
Not to hijack the thread but... What about dayhiking, snowshowing, and .... backpacking options?

In Chaff » Touristy things to do in Portland Oregon
August 01, 5:51pm

Re: Hiking Pants: What do you Wear and why?
Patagonia Rock Climbers. Tired of using zip-offs, so these roll up to shorts and stay rolled up. Comfortable but slim fit so order accordingly. Synthetic but the fabric breathes very well in war...

In GEAR » Hiking Pants: What do you Wear and why?
August 01, 10:20am

Re: Patagonia R1, Polartec Power Dry and Military ECWCS Tops
Watch the manufacturer as not all of them are actual Polartec There are some manufacturers who market to the military with similar items that follow military specifications but "not exact...

In GEAR » Patagonia R1, Polartec Power Dry and Military ECWCS Tops
July 30, 1:35pm

Re: What are your other hobbies?
Mountain biking, snowshoeing/snow-sports when days get short, and beachwalking when visiting family in California. Hope to add photography to the list. Traveled for several years (1 or 2 weeks ...

In Chaff » What are your other hobbies?
July 29, 8:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Bear attacks
Guy used martial arts to kick the bear away. http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CTVNewsAt11/20050531/alberta_bearattack_20050530/ Everybody was kung-fu fighting Those bears were fast as lightning ...

In Chaff » And another series of bear attacks this week
July 27, 12:52pm

Come to the SouthWest ..
It's just starting to cool down to 99 degrees after a month of highs in the 100's and all the wildfires; some national forests are staring to reopen after the huge Wallow Fire and smaller o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » When will this Snow Melt?
July 22, 12:29pm

Re: Do trekking poles increase speed?
Yes ADD: may need to see "Nordic walking" for a demonstrated difference in pole vs, non pole.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do trekking poles increase speed?
July 22, 12:20pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.