Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies. Started heavy in the mid-90's after a cpl attempts using 60's gear in the late 80's, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 991 - 1000 of 1237 | Page: 1 ...91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ...124

Forum » Thread

Re: Levels of Fun - Skurka's?
It's all fun until the ambulance gets called, the police show up, etc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Levels of Fun - Skurka's?
September 17, 10:07am

RE: Where do you draw the line ..
@ Sarah: Not questioning any responsible adult's decision to have kids and for most it's still a lifelong goal, even to the point of adoption. I was looking at economics and technology...

In Chaff » Where do you draw the line and how do you get your point across?
September 17, 10:05am

Re: synth
... the problem IME is rarely with down getting wet for an external source, as that you can prevent and DWR tends to be quite good these days ... the real issue is the down getting soaked from ...

In GEAR » What down fill weight does Primaloft compare to?
September 16, 5:12pm

Down shelled in a water-resistant shell vs synthetics
Why not use down in a water-resistant shell material? A pertex-shelled 2004 EMS 750-fill down bag of mine got wet from condensation (during a monsoon) but simply wiped the droplets off with a cott...

In GEAR » What down fill weight does Primaloft compare to?
September 15, 7:43pm

Re: Osprey Exos noisy
Mine starts squeaking but stops within a few steps. It was worse when I tried carrying a heavier load with it.

In GEAR » Osprey Exos noisy
September 15, 12:15pm

Re: Not impressed with the entire category
Tried the Montbell UL down liner many moons ago but sold it - though light there's just not enough down, especially if a shell jacket is pressing on the down. Not about to give the category an...

In Editor's Roundtable » Patagonia Ultralight Down Shirt Review
September 14, 6:41pm

Six Moons .. PM sent
Did not see your post. PM sent.

In Gear Swap » WTB: Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo tent
September 14, 6:34pm

Re: Is lightweight backpacking anti-capitalist?
I just think there's some inventive mo- (um, characters) on this website and am in awe of their workmanship. That said, packs, quilts, shelters, can stoves, and even apparel is one thing. I...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is lightweight backpacking anti-capitalist?
September 13, 9:49am

Re: Is lightweight backpacking anti-capitalist?
It's one thing to make a finished pack like most of the fantastic MYOG packs I've seen handmade on BPL. It's quite another to make a running shoe, a canister stove, a titanium pot, etc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is lightweight backpacking anti-capitalist?
September 13, 7:37am

Re: "Favorite Season To Hit The Trail"
Missed this discussion: I prefer May - June (late spring/early summer) as it starts warming up but before summer thunderstorms come through (almost hit by lightning once, so I avoid stormy conditio...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Favorite Season To Hit The Trail
September 12, 4:32pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.