BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 991 - 1000 of 1213 | Page: 1 ...91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ...122

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Invisible hand is the other force
We as humans are designed to breed - and breed often.. Don't forget human collective behavior can be measured in economics (the "invisible hand" as per Adam Smith). In agricultura...

In Chaff » Where do you draw the line and how do you get your point across?
August 29, 8:55pm

Re: wind
What about bear and pepper sprays in the wind? .Black bears (specifically) I have run into have been pretty silent in the forest, and have usually crossed my path from thick brush with barely a sou...

In GEAR » Solo Wilderness Security
August 29, 3:15pm

Re: no answer
.....I personally don't take well when a clueless busy body attacks me, touting some regulation that may or may not make sense in a particular case. If they want to have a conversation with me ...

August 29, 11:34am

Re: Solo Wilderness Security
Solo Wilderness Security Posted 08/29/2011 05:51:36 MDT by Stephen Mullen (stephenm) I am moving to the US shortly from Europe and this is the one item that really scares the crap out of me whethe...

August 29, 10:38am

Who draws the line..?
In the US, the govt through our elected representatives write the laws and our administrative agencies interpret and enforce them (for backpackers, our National Parks, Forest Service, BLM, or the s...

August 29, 10:13am

Re: Solo Wilderness Security
Curious, how many of you "have a friend" who is packing Found out that an environmentalist/left-wing acquaintance of mine carried a handgun when backpacking, so you never know. Pro...

August 29, 5:20am

Chris Zimmer creation "The Eugeneius Pack"
Really nice pack. Like how you have it planned out to be a family gear hauler plus a travel pack. From the above it sounds like UL-ness wasn't a primary goal but what are the specs?

In GEAR » Chris Zimmer creation "The Eugeneius Pack"
August 27, 6:38pm

Re: SUL and advancing age
I think SUL can a great idea for elderly bikers but, if sleeping on the ground, most would require a thicker sleeping pad than younger SUL'ers. Think the rest of the gear I'm reading in th...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL and advancing age
August 27, 10:07am

Re: Liquid mountaineering
I was able to copy and paste the above link no problem. Kind of a spoof on a competitors ad from Teva.

In Chaff » Liquid mountaineering
August 26, 9:28pm

Re: How many packs do you own?
Backpacking: Retired - Mountainsmith Auspex 75L and a torn Granite Gear Vapor Trail 60L, probably sell the former, do not know what to do with the latter Current - Osprey Exos 34L, Granite G...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How many packs do you own?
August 25, 7:42pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.