BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 991 - 1000 of 1152 | Page: 1 ...91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ...116

Forum » Thread

Re: The "real thing"
My question is: does eating the toned down, watered down version, make people want more of it, because they don't really get satisfied? The real problem is many eat the "real thing"...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The "real thing"
July 01, 6:07pm

Re: Cooking in the rain
For guaranteed hard rain, go with a tarp. I tried cooking spaghetti in a severe Colorado thunderstorm just using a rainjacket, hunched over for a shield. Burned holes in both sleeves, trying to b...

In Philosophy & Technique » Cooking in the rain
June 30, 5:28pm

Re: Re: Virga...
I've used a rolled up sleeping pad inside a Granite Gear Virga as a frame. No real issues with just a sleeping bag, stove, food, and a rainjacket/UL down vest inside it. Side pockets are big.

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011
Part 2B – Technical Evaluation – Measurement of Pack Load Carrying Capacity

June 29, 9:13pm

Tech evaluation
This will definitely help me choose a bigger pack in the 50l range. Thanks

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011
Part 2B – Technical Evaluation – Measurement of Pack Load Carrying Capacity

June 29, 9:48am

Re: Re: Additional info
The way I see myself stealth camping is when backpacking. So when we (me and my husband) cannot make it to the designated area or we want to be alone we would just find “our” spot. Ok, I see...

In GEAR » Stealth camping
June 27, 9:31am

Re: Re: Bud light is the most available
I never see anyone drink bud light up here... or Busch.... I'm on the other border (Cd Juarez, Mexico) until December, then hopefully I will be up at the Canadian border (Vancouver). Bud L...

In Philosophy & Technique » Why do A-holes drink light beer?
June 25, 6:24pm

Bud light is the most available
The gist of the argument is Bud Light is probably the most available brand, thus will make up most of the litter vs. say, Guinness. Surprised other areas don't have aluminum can gleaners like...

June 25, 6:11pm

Injured list...
Can you take up biking and mountain biking? Also swimming. Beats hanging around the house.

In GEAR » Injured list...
June 25, 9:10am

Re: Why do A-holes drink light beer?
It's supposedly healthier to inhale with that Giant-Size bag of Doritos. People can down them quicker too.

June 25, 8:22am

Sorting it out
Long-term the answers are coming and it'll all balance out. Short-term it makes no sense sending manufacturing to the developing countries on the basis of CO2; they'd probably ignore any a...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
June 25, 8:18am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.