Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt (just started 6 weeks off). Heavy gear in the mid-90's when I was young and stoopid, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013 over 15 yrs (older and er, ...)

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 991 - 1000 of 1259 | Page: 1 ...91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ...126

Forum » Thread

No fuss winter
My Houdini is great but when snowshoeing in the southern Rockies, my experience with big fat snowflakes is they land and eventually start soaking wind-resistant layers. Could add a DWR but that co...

In GEAR » No-fuss winter
September 24, 10:41am

Hunter NOT dead by grizzly .. update
FWIW, the hunter attacked by a wounded grizzly actually died from being shot by his fellow hunter, trying to get the bear off his buddy. So it was a gunshot wound to the chest and not the mauling,...

In Editor's Roundtable » Guidelines for Grizzly Country
September 23, 7:36pm

No-fuss winter
@ Jennifer: Pants - Definately yes - some Westcomb Recon Pants (softshell-type), while my boots currently are Lowa Renegade GTX mid-height (thinking about some TNF Hedgehog mids, though). @ E...

In GEAR » No-fuss winter
September 23, 1:39pm

Re: 20% Off
@ Dan: It also worked online so far in the US (not sure about Canada). Just type the code in the 'code' field on the appropriate page and double check that you got the discount before proc...

In GEAR » When is REI's next 20% off Members Coupon?
September 23, 11:13am

No-fuss winter
Looking at some no-fuss gear and clothing (i.e. minimal stopping and rummaging through the pack) ..... .....for hiking and snow-travel next Spring along the trails of the Sandias. Looking at one...

In GEAR » No-fuss winter
September 23, 10:59am

Neon body armor
Most hunters are very good at what they do but there's some idiot ones out there, even causing other hunters to duck for cover (witnessed once while backpacking north of Phoenix). While m...

In Chaff » Lightest body armor
September 23, 10:18am

Re: Big Sur hiking
I went in at Arroyo Seco a few years back, with a nice flat campground but, trying to get towards the course, the trail essentially disappeared into manzanita. Pretty nice for several miles but ha...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Big sur...
September 23, 5:23am

eVent breathability vs Breeze-Tec breathability questions.
For shoulder season, I'd like a rainshell breathable enough to be a windshell on sunny but chilly days. Sounds like eVent would fit those requirements but wonder why it's not in a more lig...

In GEAR » eVent jacket
September 22, 11:14am

Re: Recent thread
Nothing wrong with listening to others and seeing where they are coming from generally. Weighing the pros and cons of the recent guns threads in the context of a UL backpacking website, with users...

In Chaff » Open minded
September 22, 10:56am

Pecos wilderness pics
@Walter: Great pics from 75. I was only a kid spending a summer in nearby Santa Fe in 75 or 76. One note on your Flikr is that the Rio Valdez does go down to Mora Flats.

In Editor's Roundtable » Mistaken for Strangers
September 22, 8:46am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.