BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 9721 - 9730 of 11444 | Page: 1 ...964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 ...1145

Forum » Thread

Re: Woodgas Stoves
When you load the stove, try to pick dry sticks about the diameter of a pencil. Smaller, and they burn up too quickly. Larger, and sometimes they are hard to catch. --B.G.--

In Gear Deals » Woodgas Stoves
July 07, 12:34pm

Re: Re: Re: lighters
If I am going out in cold and wet weather, I carry at least one butane lighter inside an aluminum capsule. That is the cylinder that unscrews in the middle. That way, the lighter is kept dry. Insid...

In Philosophy & Technique » disposable lighters with visible butane level?
July 07, 12:14pm

Re: Ti
The 0.005" titanium from Titanium Goat works well. You can actually cut it with ordinary scissors, yet it has good springy strength. --B.G.--

In Make Your Own Gear » ti windscreen/wood stove
July 07, 12:08pm

Re: 2 medium fuel canisters, or 1 large (butane)
The empty 500g can weighs less than two empty 250g cans, but it isn't much less. I often take the small ones since they will pack inside my cook pot. --B.G.--

In GEAR » 2 medium fuel canisters, or 1 large
July 07, 12:29am

Re: Re: disposable lighters with visible butane level?
Roger wrote: "...the effluent wanna-bes" That's a pretty harsh thing to call Benjamin. Maybe affluent, but never effluent. --B.G.--

In Philosophy & Technique » disposable lighters with visible butane level?
July 06, 7:31pm

RE: drying berries
Should red raspberries be treated the same way? I have some piling up here, and I need to preserve them in some way before the next trip. Blanch, then dehydrate. --B.G.--

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » dehydrating blueberries $#@%
July 06, 6:30pm

Re: Re: Footwear Debate - Annapurna Circuit
"By the way - all the porters do the trips (and over the passes) in Chinese 'tennis shoes'." On my first Khumbu trek, it was very easy to distinguish the Sherpa guides from the...

In Gear Lists » Footwear Debate - Annapurna Circuit
July 06, 6:26pm

Re: Re: Re: Nothing much to add
"In a related vein, how anyone could hike with a down jacket on is a mystery to me." In the winter, I've been known to cross country ski in a down jacket, at least on a cold day. M...

In GEAR » Warmth of down when compressed
July 06, 6:15pm

Re: Re: Re: 16 oz aluminum bottles
That's good information. Now all we have to do is to find a source for the product and start running some tests. --B.G.--

In Make Your Own Gear » 16 oz aluminum bottles
July 06, 6:12pm

Re: Re: Anyone travel Rae Lakes Loop? 2010
Andre, I love your photo looking north. I had to look hard to see what that was in the foreground. --B.G.--

In Post-Trip Reports » Anyone travel Rae Lakes Loop? 2010
July 06, 5:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.