BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 951 - 960 of 1008 | Page: 1 ...82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Lightening Up Presentation for Scouts
> Color me very interested! Ditto. I'd recommend you just use sharebee.com to "store" it and let people download the file.

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » How do you lighten up Adults
June 21, 12:07pm

Re: Alps Mountaineering Spring Sale
> I have to buy a new pack and possibly a new bag. She says I have to do that first. You might want to take advantage of the Golite 40% sale (good to 6/12 - search for the coupon codes) like ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Alps Mountaineering Spring Sale
June 07, 4:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
HYOH is the saying from what I'm learning. :) Anyway, another reason I was thinking of having 3 separate poles and just slipping them over the tripod legs each time was then I'd have som...

In Photography » Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
June 07, 11:36am

Re: Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
That's impressive the legs will automatically flip out into position once you undo the holder. I would have thought it would only take maybe 3 seconds to screw the tripod on or off. It's...

June 07, 10:20am

Re: Re: Re: Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
So each "leg" is 3 pieces of fibraplex? 2 longer ones get folded up and the shorter one has a tripod leg. That was one way I had considered. I also thought I'd just shock cord the pol...

June 06, 9:39pm

Re: JRB self tensioning lines
See this thread, in particular the post by Jason Turner.

In GEAR » JRB self tensioning lines
June 06, 11:20am

What to expect at GSMNP backcountry sites?
I'm planning to only use sites that don't need reservations. Are they normally just one open area or several smaller places to pitch? How do you know when they are full? They state "...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » GSMNP, Pisgah NF, or Cherokee NF? (start 7/16)
June 06, 7:40am

Re: Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
Dondo wrote: > I'll skip the feet and use shock-cord to make the tripod a single unit rather than a collection of parts. The ability to using the mini tripod by itself will be lost but I...

June 06, 6:52am

Re: GoLite Pinnacle
Joe, I agree he wouldn't and shouldn't be using all that space for several years. However, also note the women's versions are significantly smaller in volume for same torso size (M). I...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Father/son getting started
June 05, 6:22am

Re: Re: Getting Started - Scout Gear/Clothing List
Given the current Golite discounts, I think I'll risk getting my 11 yo son either a women's small Jam2 (2450) or Pinnacle (3500). I'm thinking it will still be a while before he outgrow...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Father/son getting started
June 04, 8:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.