Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 951 - 960 of 1042 | Page: 1 ...86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105

Forum » Thread

Re: Side cutters for Heineken pot
I had seen that other poster mention the Walmart side-cutter scored the lid up good. It looks EXACTLY like the Good Cook ones in this series of pics. http://www.flickr.com/photos/epilektric/2969...

In Gear Lists » GSMNP 7/09 gear list (first trip)
August 26, 12:23pm

Re: Heineken pot questions
> Its a fairly tough can. I top cut mine and leave the rim and that makes it stronger. If you want a lid, you need another can and side cut it. Just tried my first attempt at the Heineken pot...

In Gear Lists » GSMNP 7/09 gear list (first trip)
August 26, 11:17am

Windpro knockoffs for group cooking?
I need to buy a stove that will also be used by our Scout troop. Thus, I'm looking for a remote canister and the Windpro seems to be the best choice for that. I know Kovea makes several of the ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Windpro knockoffs for group cooking?
August 24, 7:54pm

Re: New lightweight Philmont Cooking Technique
Thanks for the detailed description. So the clips are really serving no purpose in the middle pic - they're just not getting lost. ;) They'd be clipped along one side of the top edge to hol...

In Philmont » Cooking Systems
August 20, 6:05pm

Re: Gas canister use in cold
Steve, I'd always invert so the propane % would remain as close to original as possible. Our time near 0 F will be very small compared to you in the Great White North. I'd considered th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Gas canister use in cold
August 19, 8:25pm

Re: Re: Gas canister use in cold
Roger Caffin wrote: > On the whole, I suspect that the problem was that the half-empty MSR canister had little propane left in it. This is a well-known problem. Start with a full canister and a...

In Make Your Own Gear » Gas canister use in cold
August 19, 2:30pm

Re: New lightweight Philmont Cooking Technique
For those that use the turkey bag style, do you spoon, pour or squeeze out (like an icing bag) the portions for each crew member from the bag after re-hydration? Al, I really like your techniqu...

In Philmont » Cooking Systems
August 18, 11:32am

Re: Why Philmont? How much "higher adventure" for your troop?
Jim Colten wrote: > I've finally accepted that there's a basic level of discomfort offering a trip when none or at most one of the crew are familiar with the destination area. We've...

In Philmont » Selection guidance requested
August 18, 9:13am

Re: Fibraflex poles
The clips held the pole sections together (until he shock-corded them). The legs aren't adjustable in length (except you don't necessarily need to use all the sections if some need to be wa...

In Photography » Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
August 14, 3:13pm

Lightest P&S with tilt/swivel LCD?
I have and love a Canon A620 but it's on the heavy side. It seems after the 650 they have dropped the tilt/swivel LCD for the most part. I'll never buy another camera for me without that fe...

In Photography » Lightest P&S with tilt/swivel LCD?
August 13, 9:19am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.