BPL Community Profile

Ryan Jordan (ryan) - BPL Staff

My Locale Greater Yellowstone
About Me Backpacking Light Magazine Publisher and co-founder. My "home" backpacking areas are the national parks and wilderness areas of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. My own approach to ultralight backpacking currently focuses on reducing the number of items in my kit, to achieve simplicity and efficiency on the trail, and applying UL techniques and materials to long hikes w/o resupply.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://www.ryanjordan.com/
My PDF Gear ListFall 2007 Absaroka Backbone

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ryan Jordan

Showing 951 - 960 of 1172 | Page: 1 ...87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ...118

Forum » Thread

Tarps in Dust
>> I'm very interested in knowing from tarp campers if they have fared better in similar dusty conditions. It's late but I can't resist. I circumnavigated Fort Peck Reservoir in NE Montana m...

In GEAR » Help: Single wall tent dilema
August 26, 1:33am

Re: Mtn. Laurel Design Bivies
I am reviewing an MLD ultralight bivy for BPL - I like it. It is a smidge lighter than the Vapr Bivy by a tad. The main difference is less volume in the MLD bivy, esp. in the hood area. Great...

In GEAR » Shelter For JMT
August 24, 12:04am

BPL FORUMS: UNETHICAL PRACTICES
Hi folks, from time to time I will post a forum policy update. I'm thrilled with how everyone has conducted themselves on the forums. We do have one poster that seems to be violating the policy on ...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL FORUMS: UNETHICAL PRACTICES
August 23, 12:38am

Youth Participation in Wilderness Activities?
This forum is a companion commentary to: Declining Youth Participation in Wilderness Activities Topic for discussion: How, or can, the lightweight trend or philosophy contribute to the e...

In Editor's Roundtable » Youth Participation in Wilderness Activities?
August 12, 5:54pm

Sierra Designs: 4.3 oz Waterproof Breathable Rain Jacket
Companion forum thread to: Sierra Designs Nanolite Rainshells - Isotope and Neutron Jackets First Look (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2005)

In GEAR » Sierra Designs: 4.3 oz Waterproof Breathable Rain Jacket
August 12, 12:36pm

Keela: New Waterproof Breathable Technologies
Companion forum thread to: Keela "System Dual Protection" First Look (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2005)

In GEAR » Keela: New Waterproof Breathable Technologies
August 12, 12:35pm

Suunto X9 Updated: X9i
Companion forum thread to: Suunto and National Geographic Maps Announce Alliance with Debut Of Suunto X9i (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2005)

In GEAR » Suunto X9 Updated: X9i
August 12, 12:28pm

Backpackers Pantry COLD Instant Meals!
Companion forum thread to: Backpackers Pantry Introduces Cold Rehydrated Meals First Look (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2005)

In GEAR » Backpackers Pantry COLD Instant Meals!
August 12, 12:26pm

Ultralight Outfitters Beer Can Stove System for Esbit Fuel
Companion thread to the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2005 Dispatch: Ultralight Outfitters Ultralight Beer Can Esbit Stove System

In GEAR » Ultralight Outfitters Beer Can Stove System for Esbit Fuel
August 12, 12:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Rainier Gear List?
>> What is your backpack ?, Crampons, Ice Axe, Harness, Walking poles ? seems to me I forgot some extremely useful items on my list :) for summer, July-August, nontechnical routes on rainier:...

In GEAR » Rainier gear list?
August 09, 10:07am

All Reader Reviews by Ryan Jordan

Showing 1 - 10 of 51 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Review

Category

Jolt Gum
You guys are rookies. Look at the times at which you are posting. I consumed four pieces of Jolt two hours ago and look at me, still going strong at 2 am. There is a weird flavor to it, but I ca...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 12, 1:51am

Mike Clelland! GOO Energy Gel
I've used Mike's, and made my own per his recipe. It's nasty. The color, I mean. Like a pukey green. But then again, that may very well provide some of its social appeal when hiking or skiing in...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 02, 10:46pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
OK, I'm partial. I grew up in Seattle. For a kid who dreamed about the wilds endlessly, my Dad taking my family from our home in the burbs to Capitol Hill was a real treat for me. I have fond me...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 19, 1:11am

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
If you love to WALK and you haven't read this book then you are (1) not only missing out on a rite of passage that qualifies you to even claim that you're a backpacker, (2) but also ignoring what may ...

In Books and Media
November 15, 9:49pm

Black Diamond Winter Bivy
I have a few Epic bivies, one from Oware, one from BD (Lightsabre) and one from Bibler (this one, the Winter Bivy). They are both great in the summer, especially in rainy weather, where the Epic treat...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
November 15, 11:37am

ULA Equipment
I've known Brian Frankle for a few years. Recently, Brian made backpacks for us for the Arctic 1000 expedition. He was very attentive to our feedback, delivered on time, made adjustments as needed, an...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 13, 10:29pm

Six Moon Designs Essence
Welllll, I must say, I think PJ did a fine review above, but if you're looking for additional reading insight, I don't think I can follow up. I feel like the local coffee shop guitar player with a bad...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 13, 9:26pm

ULA Equipment Relay
I love the Relay. It's my favorite pack for multi-day mountain running because it's so small (tucks into the lumbar) and shaped so well (hourglass) for running. Improvements could be made by adding...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 13, 9:17pm

Montrail Vitesse
This is my go-to shoe for all of my longer unsupported/no resupply treks where I absolutely cannot have a shoe fail en route. I've worn through about six pair of Vitesse now, all of them had more t...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 13, 12:39am

Inov8 Mudclaw O'330
Far and away my absolute favorite light shoe for what the Brit's call "fell running" but what I might call "tundra" trekking. It's great in soft ground (tundra, mud) but abysmal on trails and slickroc...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 13, 12:33am