BPL Community Profile

Mike W (skopeo) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale British Columbia
About Me I enjoy fly fishing, backpacking and hiking... and although my pace has slowed down a little over the years, I find that I'm not in such a hurry anymore anyway.
CountryCanada

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike W

Showing 941 - 950 of 1110 | Page: 1 ...86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ...111

Forum » Thread

Bear Spray...
Bear spray doesn't come with a guarantee but it's your best option. Here's a link to a poster from Park's Canada that discusses bear safety in one of my favourite hiking areas...

In GEAR » Does bear spray work with black bears and what brand?
February 21, 3:16am

Leather on shoes
Roger - As always, thanks for the indepth info. I've never disected my shoes before but I did have a good look at my Merrell's and it looks like there "is" a solid (presumably...

In GEAR » wp/b shoes -- recommendations?
February 21, 2:25am

Leather?
>> Seriously consider giving up on all shoes with any leather in them. It gets wet, regardless, holds a lot of water, and cracks when it dries. << Roger - I'm surprised to see...

February 20, 12:51am

wp/b shoes -- recommendations
Ashley - Merrell calls the nubuck leather "Waterproof Dura Leather" whatever that is, so I don't think you have to worry about it soaking up water. It looks more like suede and is...

February 19, 12:24am

wp/b shoes -- recommendations?
I have these Merrells and they are a good quality shoe. They have Vibram soles that are great on rocky terrain.

February 18, 10:36pm

OK to layer windproof materials?
I asked Richard Nisley the same question but with regard to the insulating effect of wearing a wind top with a rain jacket. His response was: >>An air gap, up to 1 cm between the garments...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » OK to layer windproof materials?
February 14, 1:02am

Toothpaste
I use baking soda. A small amount in a mini (craft store) ziplock lasts a long time and weighs next to nothing. I like the fact that there is nothing to spit out (LNT).

In GEAR » Toothpaste
February 13, 12:50am

bear bags...
I drive and camp responsibly. That's all I ask of anybody. To the OP I will apologize for allowing myself to be drawn in on this discussion. I will however point out that of the posters on...

In GEAR » bear bags
February 12, 8:59am

bear bags
Ali - I share Tom's sentiments and if you read my original post, you will notice that my issue is with careless camping as it may lead to the destruction of a bear. I don't care what ri...

In GEAR » bear bags
February 12, 12:41am

bear bags...
>> one eyewitness account of the big bad boogie man bear<< As I mentioned in my earlier post, the camper next to me was clawed through his tent. Not a tall tale, but sorry I don'...

In GEAR » bear bags
February 11, 7:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike W

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Designs Burn (2010)
I've had my MLD Burn for a while now and find it very easy to give this pack top marks in all categories. I was looking for a good weekend pack (2-3 day duration) and was having a tough time findi...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 19, 6:04pm