Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 931 - 940 of 1048 | Page: 1 ...85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105

Forum » Thread

Re: Utensils / FBC or not
I just got a GSI Rehydrate spoon and it works well. In all honesty, I'd still prefer the iced tea spoon I was using (just a 1/4" shorter I believe) for it's smaller spoon portion (bowl...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » To freezer bag or not to freezer bag
September 22, 10:44pm

Re: Poor Windpro performance?
I went through about the same amount of fuel (45 g, maybe a few less), but I boiled 3 L of water in about 9.5 min this time. This was with the canister inverted the entire time (I had just rotated ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Heat Exchange Stove Shootout: Part 3
Heat Exchanger Stoves

September 21, 4:06pm

Winter clothing system for small 3yo?
I'd like to try some winter camping and take along my 3 year old son. He's pretty small for his age - 28 lbs and some 24-month pants just fall off of him. I suspect he's a mini-oven tho...

In Winter Hiking » Winter clothing system for small 3yo?
September 21, 2:20pm

Re: Pillows
I use the Exped Pillow Pump. Since it has foam inside it has more substance than just an air pillow. I blow it up just a bit to get the firmness and height I need (side sleeper). I also use it to f...

In GEAR » Pillows
September 16, 10:29am

Re: Re: Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle
They claim a max of 40. At this point I regularly carry 30 with no issues at all. Since it's only a mile, I don't care if it is painful though it didn't seem like it would be when I tri...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle
September 12, 4:32am

Alcohol stove for rainy firestarting?
I've not done it in the rain yet since I don't expect to ever build fires in general, but the one fire I have built while backpacking (just for the heck of it really) was after a rain. I si...

In Editor's Roundtable » Up in Smoke: Backcountry Fire Building Videocast
September 12, 3:45am

Re: Rotating Windpro connection
> To fix this problem- you rotate the fitting for the canister independent of the hose. To do this, grasp the canister while firmly holding the hose and then turn either the canister or the hose...

Heat Exchanger Stoves

September 11, 5:51pm

Re: Poor Windpro performance?
> In the name of Science ... Interesting. I'm an engineer so I like to play. :) Also why I enjoy your posts so much. ;) > Read our article on Exploding Canisters! I knew uprights...

Heat Exchanger Stoves

September 11, 5:28pm

Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle
Just had to say I really like my GoLite Pinnacle. I decided on it just for Scout outings like this. For our upcoming "backpacking" segment of Wood Badge training, I decided to pack all th...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle
September 11, 5:10pm

Re: Re: Poor Windpro performance?
I'd never boil without a lid normally, of course. Just curious to see what worst case would be. It was plenty hot for freezer bag meals and likely had been after maybe 10-12 min. I should have ...

Heat Exchanger Stoves

September 11, 4:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.