Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 931 - 940 of 1041 | Page: 1 ...85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105

Forum » Thread

Re: Poor Windpro performance?
> In the name of Science ... Interesting. I'm an engineer so I like to play. :) Also why I enjoy your posts so much. ;) > Read our article on Exploding Canisters! I knew uprights...

In Editor's Roundtable » Heat Exchange Stove Shootout: Part 3
Heat Exchanger Stoves

September 11, 5:28pm

Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle
Just had to say I really like my GoLite Pinnacle. I decided on it just for Scout outings like this. For our upcoming "backpacking" segment of Wood Badge training, I decided to pack all th...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle
September 11, 5:10pm

Re: Re: Poor Windpro performance?
I'd never boil without a lid normally, of course. Just curious to see what worst case would be. It was plenty hot for freezer bag meals and likely had been after maybe 10-12 min. I should have ...

Heat Exchanger Stoves

September 11, 4:08pm

Poor Windpro performance?
Just fired up my new Windpro for the first time and was surprised (in a bad way) by the results. I just want to verify if this is normal or not. I tried boiling 3 quarts of water and didn't rea...

Heat Exchanger Stoves

September 11, 12:26pm

Re: Re: Stake loops on Space Blanket material
I understand now. Thank you. I agree with your point, too - the 1/2" from the edge does increase your flexibility. I gather you favor mylar over LDPE (at least for you vs Scouts that may no...

In Philmont » Homemade tents
September 11, 9:35am

Re: Re: Stake loops on Space Blanket material
> I run the wire stakes right through the loops into the ground. The way you stated that makes it sound like you pierce through the tape material in the same spot each time. I had envisioned ...

September 10, 9:23am

Re: Re: Heatsheet edge reinforcement
> I did this on my early mylar prototypes where I used stake loops (made from tape) rather than grommets. I was planning loops to stay away from grommets. It can't be pitched quite as clo...

September 09, 10:40am

Re: Re: Heatsheet reinforcement
Al, I guess ALL the tape could be placed on the under (silver) side. In that case the polyethylene would likely break down before the tape on the other side of the AL. I couldn't find any info...

September 09, 8:11am

Heatsheets-on-a-roll
A roll of 100 6'x4' Heatsheets is $87. Shipping is only FedEx so pretty steep. $20.11 from GA to IN. But $1.08/sheet isn't bad and they're a little more environment friendly being w...

September 08, 7:31am

Re: Coghlan tube tent
Indeed, the Coughlan's tube tent is 2.5 mil (wouldn't have thought it was THAT heavy though). The Heatsheets are 1 mil (at least what they use at race finishes - maybe the ones they make fo...

September 07, 4:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.