BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 931 - 940 of 1010 | Page: 1 ...82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101

Forum » Thread

Re: No TP?
Raw? I'd say it would be just the opposite, helping prevent monkey butt and all. Three "wipes" with a handful of water gets everything nice and clean. Maybe chilly in the winter I sup...

In GEAR » No TP?
August 02, 10:29am

Re: DITCH THE TROWEL!
Sorry, Mike. No TP is fine with me but a trowel stays. It was hard enough to dig a hole with a tool MEANT for the job. I couldn't imagine what a PITA it would be with just a stick, rock or heel...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stream crossings with one pair of shoes?
August 01, 10:09pm

Fundraising for Philmont, etc?
Sort of off topic, but it seems several of you here have gone to Philmont or on other high adventure trips pretty frequently. Outside of popcorn, what do you do to help fund the Scouts' need...

In Philmont » Fundraising for Philmont, etc?
August 01, 10:21am

Re: Stream crossings with one pair of shoes?
I recently did my first trip. I'm hardly UL, but I was trying to go as light as I could at this time. I had always thought wet feet were bad but many knowledgeable folks here have insisted that...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stream crossings with one pair of shoes?
August 01, 9:28am

Re: What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?
Hefty is what I have though mine weighs 2.5 oz You don't put your food bag inside during rain do you? Would think food odors would then be inside your compactor bag and thus all your stuff. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?
July 31, 5:45pm

Re: What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?
This really wasn't a trick question. :)

In Philosophy & Technique » What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?
July 31, 4:25pm

Re: gossamer gear thinlight
This has a "sticky" surface on both sides I take it?

In Philosophy & Technique » Slide prevention for bag/pad on tent floor?
July 31, 4:24pm

Re: Heineken pot questions
David, It seems the Stanco pot wouldn't gain me much other than an ounce or so. The Scout pot is about 5.5" dia and 2.5" tall. It uses steel for it's handle (likely why it weighs...

In Gear Lists » GSMNP 7/09 gear list (first trip)
July 30, 7:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Heineken pot questions
Saw a grease pot at Walmart but seemed pretty big from what I recall and didn't like the big handle sticking out (pain to pack?). I need just over 2 cups max capacity. Since I eat from bags,...

July 30, 1:39pm

Re: Re: GSMNP 7/09 gear list (first trip)
Brad, Pad will get changed eventually as I said. Bag I'll keep for a while as I got a great deal and I'm not willing to spend the money on a bag that light to be honest. The pillow is my l...

July 30, 1:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.