BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 931 - 940 of 1036 | Page: 1 ...85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Stake loops on Space Blanket material
> I run the wire stakes right through the loops into the ground. The way you stated that makes it sound like you pierce through the tape material in the same spot each time. I had envisioned ...

In Philmont » Homemade tents
September 10, 9:23am

Re: Re: Heatsheet edge reinforcement
> I did this on my early mylar prototypes where I used stake loops (made from tape) rather than grommets. I was planning loops to stay away from grommets. It can't be pitched quite as clo...

September 09, 10:40am

Re: Re: Heatsheet reinforcement
Al, I guess ALL the tape could be placed on the under (silver) side. In that case the polyethylene would likely break down before the tape on the other side of the AL. I couldn't find any info...

September 09, 8:11am

Heatsheets-on-a-roll
A roll of 100 6'x4' Heatsheets is $87. Shipping is only FedEx so pretty steep. $20.11 from GA to IN. But $1.08/sheet isn't bad and they're a little more environment friendly being w...

September 08, 7:31am

Re: Coghlan tube tent
Indeed, the Coughlan's tube tent is 2.5 mil (wouldn't have thought it was THAT heavy though). The Heatsheets are 1 mil (at least what they use at race finishes - maybe the ones they make fo...

September 07, 4:58pm

Re: Homemade tents
> I used 1" wide strips of the tape in building the tents. I cut the 2" wide duct tape roll in half with an Exacto knife. Always looking to save weight. :) Interesting about the dif...

September 06, 5:54pm

Re: Smallest compressed sleeping bag setup?
It's not what you asked for but I'd think something like a Heatsheets blanket would be the smallest, lightest and cheapest option. You said temp rating isn't an issue so why even use a ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Smallest compressed sleeping bag setup?
September 03, 5:10pm

Re: Homemade tents
Al, Thanks for expanding your original document. It will prove quite helpful. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions still. :) Does your 18 oz figure include all the cords, stakes and ...

August 30, 2:00pm

Homemade tents
I thought this should be split from the Cooking thread. Al Geist wrote: As seen in the picture at http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~geist/Philmont We only took one of the MYOG tents. The boys used more...

August 30, 1:34pm

Re: Re: Beyond Turkey bagging / tents
Al, Quart freezer bags is the way I have intended to go on our trips. The boys may decide otherwise. Our first BP is Oct. It will be interesting to hear what your's decide for future trips ...

In Philmont » Cooking Systems
August 28, 7:13am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.