BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 931 - 939 of 939 | Page: 1 ...75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94

Forum » Thread

Wind Shirt as Bug Shirt
As I mentioned on another thread, I've used a bug shirt for many years but I'm switching to a headnet to save a fair amount of weight. I was planning on using my rain jacket (about 6 oz.) to wear a...

In GEAR » Wind Shirt as Bug Shirt
August 14, 11:05pm

Re: BPL Headnets
I've used a bug shirt (the Original Bug Shirt) for years but I've been looking for a way to drop a few ounces. The bug shirt weighs about 10 oz. (size large). Other than the weight, the big drawbac...

In GEAR » The new headnets on the home page
August 14, 11:00pm

Filters are Sometimes Good UL Technique
I disagree with your assessment about filters being bad UL technique. Quite often, it can lead to better hydration with a much lighter load. For example, assume you are on a 10 mile hike up a river...

In GEAR » Sawyer SP120 inline filter
July 08, 9:17am

2 Person Bag
I am faced with the same question. Right now, my wife and use a Sweetie Pie bag doubler (http://www.functionaldesign.net/about.htm) with a North Face Cat's Meow. I've been thinking about upgrading ...

In GEAR » 2 Person Bag or Sleeping Pad?
January 20, 7:00pm

Pole Usage is Based on Steepness, not Weight
I day hike a lot more than I backpack. The weight on my back has little to do with whether I will bring poles or not. I can't imagine myself saying "I'm carrying a lot of weight so I better grab my...

In GEAR » Trekking Poles-To use or not to use?
September 10, 11:42pm

Re: Nunatak Akula vs. FF Vireo
I was thinking the same thing. It comes down to how much overlap you want and how much you want to spend. Both bags have about the same fill weight. Since the FF bag has a lot more surface area (be...

In Multiple Use Gear » Multiple Use Sleeping Bags
July 06, 6:58pm

Re: Down Jacket/Sleeping Bag
I like feathered friends, as their staff has always been really helpful (I'm a Seattle guy). However, I think the nunatak is more like what I would want (besides, you have to support those Twisp fo...

July 06, 5:59pm

Re: Down Jacket/Sleeping Bag
If you are hiking out in bad weather, it seems like the most important thing is to keep your head and body warm. It is my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you can get frostbite a...

July 06, 11:27am

Wanderlust and Other Tarp Tents
It looks like the Wanderlust has an internal pole in the sleeping area. This could be a problem if you decide to zip your sleeping bag into your partner's. I would suggest a six moons' tent (http:/...

In GEAR » 2 Person Ultralight Tent
February 08, 8:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm