BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 911 - 920 of 959 | Page: 1 ...77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96

Forum » Thread

Transition to a Lighter Pack
I thought about it some more and want to amend my comments. Since my comments have already been commented on, I figure I'll just add another one. I would say that it is a good idea to get your ...

In GEAR » Transition to a lighter pack
May 07, 11:33am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bag length
The Vireo is a nice bag, but it doesn't have a zipper. When looking at FF bags, subtract a few ounces from the weights (while keeping the loft the same). This is the opposite of Marmot :). Feat...

In GEAR » Bag length
May 04, 6:32pm

Re: Re: fixed length poles
For me, a lot depends on the terrain. If I'm on flat ground (or near flat) then I don't use poles. I've started using them going uphill, but only because I want a little weight off my b...

In GEAR » fixed length poles
May 04, 5:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Transition to a lighter pack
I agree that you should switch your pack last (or close to last). I made the mistake of switching to a Gossamer Gear G4 before I had shed much weight from my back (I got too excited). The G4 (or th...

In GEAR » Transition to a lighter pack
May 03, 7:50pm

Re: Ultralight on a Budget
Great idea Elliott! An "Ultralight on a Budget" article would be very valuable. I think you could assemble an ultralight set of gear and spend less money than "standard backpacking&q...

In Editor's Roundtable » Why I Go Light
May 01, 5:25pm

Washington State Webcams
What a great idea! Here are a few from Washington state: Hurricane Ridge (Olympic National Park): http://www.nps.gov/archive/olym/cams/hurricane/hurricaneridgecam.htm North Cascades (Newh...

In Other Activities » Web Cams of Interest to Hikers, Etc
April 27, 6:15pm

Re: Re: Re: GoLite's Trinity Fabric - PR Speak Translation
That's a shame. I do have somewhat of an answer to my question in that this: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00316.html gives some nice data on breathability. How...

In GEAR » GoLite's new Trinity Fabric
April 13, 6:18pm

Re: GoLite's Trinity Fabric - PR Speak Translation
Richard, Thanks again for the great stats on the materials. Is there a web site that has this information as well? That would be most helpful (instead of linking to various forum threads).

In GEAR » GoLite's new Trinity Fabric
April 12, 10:51pm

Re: Poncho Vs. Rain Jacket
I bring a propore jacket and no wind shirt. The jacket does triple duty as a rain jacket, wind shirt and bug shirt. As a wind shirt and bug shirt, it is a bit clammy, but effective. Using a light w...

In GEAR » Poncho Vs. Rain Jacket
April 11, 1:04pm

Re: Re: Sleeping Bag Dilemma
Hey Joe, Hopefully you are still following this thread. Better yet, I hope you are following this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7082/index.h...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag Dilemma
April 02, 10:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm