Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 911 - 920 of 965 | Page: 1 ...78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97

Forum » Thread

Re: UL Rain Gear
I would go with a cape (AKA poncho) unless you want the rain jacket and pants to do double duty as wind and bug protection. For that, I would recommend a set of the O2 or DryDucks rain gear. Just k...

In GEAR » UL rain gear
June 06, 8:09pm

Re: Go natural
I think Kevin makes a good point. For a pack, it is probably best to go with something that will blend in, just so you can stash it (unless of course, you forget exactly where you stashed it). For ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bright or not????
June 06, 7:48pm

Losing Weight on a Budget
I think there are a couple topics here, intermingled. First, what is a good pack for your situation. Second, what is the biggest "bang for your buck" as far as losing backpacking weight. ...

In GEAR » Suggestions on BackPacks
June 01, 11:30am

Re: Re: Transition to a Lighter Pack
I've been very happy with my (O2 style) laminate jackets (I've bought several). Of course, if they were more durable, I wouldn't have to buy so many :). You do have to be very careful. ...

In GEAR » Transition to a lighter pack
May 10, 7:54pm

Re: Thanks for the links and replies
Don't forget this review of several stoves. It is a bit out of date, as it doesn't have the Caldera stove (or any that have been created or changed in the last couple years). The fact th...

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove Users, Need Your Help
May 10, 7:00pm

Re: Re: BPL headnet
I just want to second what Eric said, the big difference is the view. There is also a weight savings, but hardly worth the extra cost. The ability to see clearly, however, is worth it my book.

In GEAR » BPL headnet
May 07, 12:34pm

Transition to a Lighter Pack
I thought about it some more and want to amend my comments. Since my comments have already been commented on, I figure I'll just add another one. I would say that it is a good idea to get your ...

May 07, 11:33am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bag length
The Vireo is a nice bag, but it doesn't have a zipper. When looking at FF bags, subtract a few ounces from the weights (while keeping the loft the same). This is the opposite of Marmot :). Feat...

In GEAR » Bag length
May 04, 6:32pm

Re: Re: fixed length poles
For me, a lot depends on the terrain. If I'm on flat ground (or near flat) then I don't use poles. I've started using them going uphill, but only because I want a little weight off my b...

In GEAR » fixed length poles
May 04, 5:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Transition to a lighter pack
I agree that you should switch your pack last (or close to last). I made the mistake of switching to a Gossamer Gear G4 before I had shed much weight from my back (I got too excited). The G4 (or th...

May 03, 7:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm